Old Motors vs. New Ones

I swopped my p3a for a new one with the new motors yesterday, been out this morning with a full battery and did two flights over a dam in Sheffield, first flight was 17mins and the second was 11 mins. (came down and landed to change my camera nd filter) so that's a total of 28mins with 20% left in the battery. I think the motors use less power than the old ones. it is a brand new battery though.

I swopped my p3a for a new one with the new motors yesterday, been out this morning with a full battery and did two flights over a dam in Sheffield, first flight was 17mins and the second was 11 mins. (came down and landed to change my camera nd filter) so that's a total of 28mins with 20% left in the battery. I think the motors use less power than the old ones. it is a brand new battery though.

With a brand new battery you should not be taking it to 20%. For the first 10 flights stop at 50%

Reactions: lotusteve
With a brand new battery you should not be taking it to 20%. For the first 10 flights stop at 50%
cheers Harry I will bear that in mind. I thought it was 20% for the first 10 flights.i stand corrected.

Yes, I noticed this too. One thing I noticed on the new motor is that the bottom is flat, so maybe the torque of the motor twisting on its mount is more evenly distributed, as opposed to the old motors, of which its concentrated on just a small, central area. That, together with 'better heat disappation' might help too. Just my 2pence worth.

That's what I think too.

Reactions: nickyb

That sounds promising!

We should hopefully see more data soon..

I personally think that the lower draw from the battery would increase flight time slightly

You will get no noticeable difference in flight times between the two motors. Reminds me of all the people who swapped their P2 motors for T motors thinking it would magically deliver better handling and efficiency.

Also keep in mind thst the ESCs are matched to the motors so you'll need a new main board to do a swap.

The most important thing to note is DJI has already tuned the motors, props, ESCs and power supply as one complete system. In order to change handling and efficiency, that whole system would need to be redesigned. Not just new motors.

In my honest opinion, if you look at the picture of the motors the old motor has a much more substantial housing and top bearing support. Also look at the bottom pic, it appears the shaft diameter on the new motors is considerably smaller? Everyone is concerned about the mounting but overlooking the actual quality of the motor itself. Just my 2 cents!
+1
Looking at the pictures the top bearing looks smaller. It appears the new motor was designed to weigh less. I'll get the new motors in the P4 if DJI adds enough other features to warrant upgrading to the P4. I won't wear out the old motors before then!

Reactions: JB-I
DSC_0021 (1280x850).jpg Just got back from repair today-check it out !

Attachments

• DSC_0014 (1280x850).jpg
    DSC_0014 (1280x850).jpg
    393.9 KB · Views: 827
  • DSC_0009 (1280x850).jpg
    DSC_0009 (1280x850).jpg
    531.6 KB · Views: 736
  • DSC_0015 (1280x850).jpg
    DSC_0015 (1280x850).jpg
    641.2 KB · Views: 772
Reactions: lotusteve
Also keep in mind thst the ESCs are matched to the motors so you'll need a new main board to do a swap...In order to change handling and efficiency, that whole system would need to be redesigned. Not just new motors.

From what I've discovered, it's not so much of the ESCs being "matched" to the motors, although I do agree on "the whole system needing to be redesigned", which, essentially, is what they did. Fob what I was told, in the original version, the ESCs were individually built into each individual motor, whereas the new motor/mainboard combo places the ESCs directly" the board, this making the manufacturing process cheaper (ie. higher profit for DJI). It's for this reason that people with the original P3s can't just replace the motors with the updated version.

For the guys who have had the new motors for a while now after having the old motors, can you make a definitive statement yet? No real difference? A little difference? Big difference?

You're worrying about nothing. The difference is negligible.

I guess you're correct if you don't mind all that heat that the P3 motors are developing causing the plastic to cook in the motor mount area. It looks like that added skirt at the bottom of the new motors is actually designed as a heat sink to dissipate some of the heat into the air and not into the plastic motor mounts.
In case you haven't noticed, P3 motors generate much more heat than the P2 motors do. This is a step in the right direction in an attempt to prevent heat from damaging the plastic near where the motors actually mount. That alone is a pretty non negligible issue.

In my opinion the newer motors appear to be mounted better than the old motors

Also that skirt at the bottom appears to be a heat sink to dissipate more heat into the air and not cook the plastic around the motor mounts.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl