New - Couple of questions

The term line of sight has been around almost as long as radio.
It's all about the line ... not about seeing.
Within visual range and line of sight are two different things.
Yes that's correct, but I'm not interested in the past just the prevailing understanding today so that I don't do anything stupid. Today the prevailing use of the term within the context of flying drones is within eyesight. Is that not correct? Is it acceptable to use my drone out of my eyesight? I think it would be more fun if its okay to do.

Yes that's correct, but I'm not interested in the past just the prevailing understanding today so that I don't do anything stupid.
Today the prevailing use of the term within the context of flying drones is within eyesight. Is that not correct?
In the context of drones, many misunderstand and misuse the term. That doesn't make misuse correct.
The term originated in radio and because radio is an important part of Phantom flying, it makes sense to use the term properly to prevent confusion.
It is important that you have an unobstructed line of sight between you and your Phantom .. that is, no trees, buildings etc in the way.
But can have a clear line of sight even if the Phantom is two miles away and quite invisible to you.

Is it acceptable to use my drone out of my eyesight? I think it would be more fun if its okay to do.
That's a question that will get different answers from different people.
Acceptable to who? What exactly do you mean by acceptable? etc etc.

Using Meta's definition above-- Most experienced P3 pilots will loose sight of their aircraft form time to time-- some on purpose and some not on purpose-- but the Line of sight means an unobstructed line between the pilot and aircraft which is necessary to maintain good radio and video signal.

That being said, geography and, roads, buildings people and other aircraft are considerations which should be weighed if the P3 is flown beyond sight. Some use good judgment and some don't. If it leaves the pilot's direct eyesight and crashes or interferes with other aircraft or population--then that becomes the problem and is the risk factor that should be evaluated before trying these kind of flights.

Reactions: Meta4
So are you guys telling me that when the FAA and the DOT say that drones should be flown within line of sight that they mean only the radio definition? They don't mean the eyesight definition which is used seemingly much more often today? If you are saying they mean the radio definition, you would then by default also be saying that flying a drone out of sight is acceptable. I just want to do the right thing here and not become a headline.

Last edited:
Reactions: Silvaplana
So are you guys telling me that when the FAA and the DOT say that drones should be flown within line of sight that they mean only the radio definition?
They don't mean the eyesight definition which is used seemingly much more often today, whether that is in fact right or wrong. If you are saying they mean the radio definition, you would then by default also be saying that flying a drone out of sight is acceptable. I just want to do the right thing here and not become a headline.
Well it could be acceptable but dangerous depending on many different factors. In my mind, this is using good judgment-- or to us old folks, use good common sense.

Reactions: JoBe
So are you guys telling me that when the FAA and the DOT say that drones should be flown within line of sight that they mean only the radio definition? They don't mean the eyesight definition which is used seemingly much more often today? If you are saying they mean the radio definition, you would then by default also be saying that flying a drone out of sight is acceptable. I just want to do the right thing here and not become a headline.
You have to go back to the original source sometimes rather than just going on secondhand forum chatter.
The FAA is a little more careful with their choice of words.
Here's some of what the FAA actually says is: that model aircraft flights should be flown a sufficient distance from populated areas and full scale aircraft, should be kept within visual line of sight of the operator.
or ... Keep your sUAS in eyesight at all times, and use an observer to assist if needed.
Here's where you can find out what the FAA says.
Recreational Users | Know Before You Fly

You have to go back to the original source sometimes rather than just going on secondhand forum chatter.
The FAA is a little more careful with their choice of words.
Here's some of what the FAA actually says is: that model aircraft flights should be flown a sufficient distance from populated areas and full scale aircraft, should be kept within visual line of sight of the operator.
or ... Keep your sUAS in eyesight at all times, and use an observer to assist if needed.
Here's where you can find out what the FAA says.
Recreational Users | Know Before You Fly
Thank you. It sounds the same as what I was saying.
Keep your sUAS in eyesight at all times, and use an observer to assist if needed.
and
should be kept within visual line of sight of the operator.

One more question. If the guidance is only visual, does that mean FPV goggles are not in compliance?

Thank you. It sounds the same as what I was saying.
Keep your sUAS in eyesight at all times, and use an observer to assist if needed.
and
should be kept within visual line of sight of the operator.

One more question. If the guidance is only visual, does that mean FPV goggles are not in compliance?
The AMA guidelines are using a spotter when you fly anything, FPV or RC full view---

Reactions: JoBe
Many in this forum push the limits on distance without visual sight, epecially the ones that feel they are expert flyers with several years of flying under their belt. Some have quite an attitude as you may have noticed. Those flyers will conveniently use the "radio definition" of "line of sight". They want to believe it's acceptable to lose visual sight of the craft, but it's clearly riskier than what the FAA wants us to practice, keeping visual contact. I will often fly FPV at a farther distance than I can see but it's always in low risk areas away from civilization or over water. We all need to use good judgement and fly to our own capabilities to be reasonably safe. I spend much of my idle time planning for an interesting flight spot with low risk.

Last edited:
I need to purchase some new prescription eye glasses. Soon.;-)

RedHotPoker

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj