I thought I'd experienced Frustration before, but.....

Reaction score
I am hesitant to write this as I completely love my Phantom 4, so much so that I bought a Phantom 4 Pro. But, what I have been through after ordering the new Pro unit, I finally decided to relate my story as I feel other potential buyers have a right to know what they could potentially be getting into.
I ordered my new unit on December 30th, 2016. I was told that it would be shipped separately from the Phantom 4 Pro filters that I included on the order. It took a bit of doing to get the order split as they originally were not going to ship the drone until all parts were together and in stock. I had to go online and chat to find that out. Finally, on January 6th I was informed that the drone and the control display was on its way.
I received the unit on January 10th and, since this was my second drone, I was able to register the unit and get it flying relatively quickly- within a couple of hours. I noticed very quickly that this drone was having issues. On both the live feed on the monitor itself and on the recorded video on the mini SD Card, there was a definite jumpiness and hesitation and pixelation. I tried different video SD Cards- all recommended SanDisk Extreme Pro- and on every flight I saw the same problems. (I've since seen on this forum that other folks have seen the same problems).
I immediately contacted Support through the Chatline and explained the problem in detail to them. They had me do some diagnostic work and then asked me to do a system reset followed by a gimbal reset, all to no avail. (Let me state here that attempting to work with support through a chatline line is frustrating and time-consuming. I almost felt as if I was dealing with a robot of sorts as the English they used was confusing).
It was decided at this time that I would go through the paperwork necessary to return the unit. After a day or two of getting the proper procedures done and jumping through hoops, I was provided with a Return Shipping label and I returned it on the 12th. I followed the Tracking Number and was notified that it was received by DJI in California on the 13th at 5 PM. This is when the period of silence and no word from DJI began. After hearing nothing for a few days I contacted them around the 18th in order to find out what was going on- after all I was depending on what they told me about a replacement- within in 1-2 weeks. I contacted them daily from the 18th until the 20th when I noticed on my Case Number Page that it was accepted on the 20th. All I wanted to know was when my drone would be shipped. All that I essentially received from DJI (through the Chatline) was that they didn't know. I got so tired of waiting in line for the support team to answer my chat. And after each session I walked away from, all I could feel was increasing frustration. Finally on the 27th I received an e-mail stating that I was being given a coupon code so that I could go online and order a new unit and that the coupon would cover the cost. Later on the 27th I received another e-mail stating that my order was confirmed. There was a link on the page which could direct me to "click here" to check the progress of my order. On the 28th I clicked on the link and it stated that the unit was shipped.
I tried today to get an update as nowhere was DJI telling me of the exact status of my order. To get any information, one is forced to go online and get in line with about a hundred others in order to get in touch with tech support.
Originally today I was Number 77 in line. Okay, I got settled in and got comfortable waiting for the countdown to continue. I got to Number 4 and was getting excited. I had already typed up my question as all I would have to do is hit "SEND" to get my message to the technician. Without warning, I went from Number 4 to Number 79! Okay, I waited once again. A total of 2 1/2 hours and I finally got into a chat. All I wanted to know was when I would get a Tracking Number (As, according to the Order Number, the unit had shipped), and a Serial Number of the new unit. I went back and forth and was told to contact the Sales Department as the support team couldn't get any information. So, I went to the link supplied and was directed to another back-up (although I was only Number 29 this time).
I started chatting to Ralph who said I needed to speak to Support as he didn't have access to my Case Number. I tried to explain that I had an order number and on the order number page, it said it had been shipped. He came back and said that, according to what he saw, it wasn't going to be shipped until Feb 3rd. Back and forth we went, and I finally threw my hands up in surrender.
DJI has a heck of a great drone fleet and I'm so happy to have at least one drone (my Phantom 4) that works and works very well. But, their support system absolutely is the worst. There appears to be very little communication going from one department to the next.
So, I say to the potential new buyer- it's a terrific drone, just pray you don't have any problems, or God-Forbid, don't have to send it back for a replacement. It's now been almost 4 weeks since I initiated the paperwork to replace this drone. I was told 1-2 weeks for replacement.
My Case Number is: CAS-403050-T6N6J5. It's sad when you get to know your case number and order number by heart!

I am hesitant to write this as I completely love my Phantom 4, so much so that I bought a Phantom 4 Pro. But, what I have been through after ordering the new Pro unit, I finally decided to relate my story as I feel other potential buyers have a right to know what they could potentially be getting into.
I ordered my new unit on December 30th, 2016. I was told that it would be shipped separately from the Phantom 4 Pro filters that I included on the order. It took a bit of doing to get the order split as they originally were not going to ship the drone until all parts were together and in stock. I had to go online and chat to find that out. Finally, on January 6th I was informed that the drone and the control display was on its way.
I received the unit on January 10th and, since this was my second drone, I was able to register the unit and get it flying relatively quickly- within a couple of hours. I noticed very quickly that this drone was having issues. On both the live feed on the monitor itself and on the recorded video on the mini SD Card, there was a definite jumpiness and hesitation and pixelation. I tried different video SD Cards- all recommended SanDisk Extreme Pro- and on every flight I saw the same problems. (I've since seen on this forum that other folks have seen the same problems).
I immediately contacted Support through the Chatline and explained the problem in detail to them. They had me do some diagnostic work and then asked me to do a system reset followed by a gimbal reset, all to no avail. (Let me state here that attempting to work with support through a chatline line is frustrating and time-consuming. I almost felt as if I was dealing with a robot of sorts as the English they used was confusing).
It was decided at this time that I would go through the paperwork necessary to return the unit. After a day or two of getting the proper procedures done and jumping through hoops, I was provided with a Return Shipping label and I returned it on the 12th. I followed the Tracking Number and was notified that it was received by DJI in California on the 13th at 5 PM. This is when the period of silence and no word from DJI began. After hearing nothing for a few days I contacted them around the 18th in order to find out what was going on- after all I was depending on what they told me about a replacement- within in 1-2 weeks. I contacted them daily from the 18th until the 20th when I noticed on my Case Number Page that it was accepted on the 20th. All I wanted to know was when my drone would be shipped. All that I essentially received from DJI (through the Chatline) was that they didn't know. I got so tired of waiting in line for the support team to answer my chat. And after each session I walked away from, all I could feel was increasing frustration. Finally on the 27th I received an e-mail stating that I was being given a coupon code so that I could go online and order a new unit and that the coupon would cover the cost. Later on the 27th I received another e-mail stating that my order was confirmed. There was a link on the page which could direct me to "click here" to check the progress of my order. On the 28th I clicked on the link and it stated that the unit was shipped.
I tried today to get an update as nowhere was DJI telling me of the exact status of my order. To get any information, one is forced to go online and get in line with about a hundred others in order to get in touch with tech support.
Originally today I was Number 77 in line. Okay, I got settled in and got comfortable waiting for the countdown to continue. I got to Number 4 and was getting excited. I had already typed up my question as all I would have to do is hit "SEND" to get my message to the technician. Without warning, I went from Number 4 to Number 79! Okay, I waited once again. A total of 2 1/2 hours and I finally got into a chat. All I wanted to know was when I would get a Tracking Number (As, according to the Order Number, the unit had shipped), and a Serial Number of the new unit. I went back and forth and was told to contact the Sales Department as the support team couldn't get any information. So, I went to the link supplied and was directed to another back-up (although I was only Number 29 this time).
I started chatting to Ralph who said I needed to speak to Support as he didn't have access to my Case Number. I tried to explain that I had an order number and on the order number page, it said it had been shipped. He came back and said that, according to what he saw, it wasn't going to be shipped until Feb 3rd. Back and forth we went, and I finally threw my hands up in surrender.
DJI has a heck of a great drone fleet and I'm so happy to have at least one drone (my Phantom 4) that works and works very well. But, their support system absolutely is the worst. There appears to be very little communication going from one department to the next.
So, I say to the potential new buyer- it's a terrific drone, just pray you don't have any problems, or God-Forbid, don't have to send it back for a replacement. It's now been almost 4 weeks since I initiated the paperwork to replace this drone. I was told 1-2 weeks for replacement.
My Case Number is: CAS-403050-T6N6J5. It's sad when you get to know your case number and order number by heart!
Sad tale indeed . . . sorry to hear your frustration. . . little consolation but you are not alone dealing with DJI. . . their customer support is poor at best . . and I've had the same frustration as you being #68 for hours and then told that "there was no problem" . . . when there was . . .and "they would do everything they could to help me" and then were actually able to do nothing. My issue was with dji care. Very ambiguous process with no flexibility if your problem does not follow a simple script.

The only consolation . . . you are not alone . . . Hang in there my friend. They are awesome machines with amazing capabilities . . . . but as with any complex systems. . . there are occasional DUDS!
GOOD LUCK . .

Sad tale indeed . . . sorry to hear your frustration. . . little consolation but you are not alone dealing with DJI. . . their customer support is poor at best . . and I've had the same frustration as you being #68 for hours and then told that "there was no problem" . . . when there was . . .and "they would do everything they could to help me" and then were actually able to do nothing. My issue was with dji care. Very ambiguous process with no flexibility if your problem does not follow a simple script.

The only consolation . . . you are not alone . . . Hang in there my friend. They are awesome machines with amazing capabilities . . . . but as with any complex systems. . . there are occasional DUDS!
GOOD LUCK . .
Thank you for your kind reply.

I feel your pain. Just bought a pro 2 weeks ago and had a stupid incident and broke a prop and the piece under the prop that attaches to the top of the motor. Called and after over an hour waiting i was told they don't sell the prop kit for the pro and this simple plastic part that is held by 3 screws to the top of the motor I would have to send my drone to California for them to fix it. Its a one minute fix for me if they just would send me the 2 dollar part but they won't sell the part. So Im left with a 1500 drone that I can't fly cause they won't sell this one simple part. Not sure what I am going to do as Ive sent them many emails to for a fix and no response yet.

I am sharing your pain! I purchased a refurbished P4. When it arrived it looked perfect but kept giving me an ESC code. The drone wound not even spin the props. I've got about 20 hours on my P3 and never had an problem with it. So I figured I can't go wrong purchasing a refurbished P4 and save a few bucks. My luck I got a bad one. I'm getting punished for being cheap. I had heard about the lack of customer service when someone has an issue. I am now experiencing this first hand. It took them 4 days to respond to my request via email. I will be sending back the drone tomorrow with the RMA they send me. I'm hoping just to get a refund or credit. If I do get a credit I plan to just purchase a new P4P. We will see.....

Last night I received an update on my drone from DJI. I was informed that my drone was indeed shipped late last night. According to the FEDEX Tracking number, it shows delivery to occur Wednesday by day's end. This should end my concern, right? Not necessarily as it is being shipped from California, not China as my original drone was. It is coming from the same repair facility I sent it to to be replaced. It will be interesting to see whether it will be the original drone (as verified by the original serial number) or if it will be either a refurbished unit or a new unit. I was told by a Chat Support member that I could "rest assured it would not be a refurbished unit" and I took a photo of that conversation to show DJI management if I did indeed receive a refurbished unit. In my communications with DJI Chat Support I made it very clear that I would not accept a refurbished unit and that I would be shipping it back it it turned out to be the case.
We shall see.......

I'm sorry to hear that. I had a very different experience. I received my P4P which had a defective camera. The video was horrible. I tried so many different things to fix it, i was very reluctant to send it in, finally I contacted Dji 17 days after receiving it and was told I was over the 15 days for replacement but he said he would do it since I had proof it had an issue from day one (video) and was told to send it in for replacement. So I did all the required steps. I sent it in on Dec 21nd. They received it on Dec 23th in California. Christmas passed. I then contacted them on Dec 27th and asked to talk to a supervisor in Carson California facility since I hadn't heard much. I told him that I had called a few days prior and was told my new p4p would be shipped that day( wasn't the truth but worth a shot) , what's going on I asked. He apologized saying it hasn't been shipped yet but he will put a priority on it. A few hours later I received an email with a tracking number. Overnight shipping! The next day on the 28th I had my brand new P4P delivered. 7 days it took in total. Has worked great ever since. Over 13 hours flight time. I do agree that their customer service is all over the place. Some people get great service and some horrible. It really should be more consistent. I hope your nightmare ends soon bud. Safe flying!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using PhantomPilots mobile app

DJI support is like a box of chocolates... you never know what you're going to get.

Sorry to hear about that but haaaang on... Did you say you also got a coupon to order another... ****... Get that order in pronto Mr [emoji6]

Now this may be of some help to you guys. I contacted DJI on 3 separate times. 2/3 I was speaking to someone instantly. The last time.. I was number 1 in the queue.

Why am I telling you this? I live in London, england and I went on the live chat at 2am each time.

Work out the time difference where you are. So if it's 2am in England... What time would it be in your country? Because that's the the time you want to go on live chat [emoji6][emoji4]

Neon Euc

I researched a lot before I bought my Phantom 4 Pro, which I'm hopefully flying for the first time tomorrow, but I never looked into the customer service, though. I assumed it would be fantastic considering they are leaders in the industry. If I would have read all these complaints prior to buying it, I may not have. Nobody should have to spend hours of time to get factory defects resolved, let alone repairs you pay for, especially with the price of these things. I was thinking about upgrading to the Inspire once business gets going, but these stories really make me wonder if they take customer service seriously. I don't have hours to spend on these issues. I barely have time the way it is.

I'm sorry all of you have to go through so much! Jeez. I hope mine is ok.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

I researched a lot before I bought my Phantom 4 Pro, which I'm hopefully flying for the first time tomorrow, but I never looked into the customer service, though. I assumed it would be fantastic considering they are leaders in the industry. If I would have read all these complaints prior to buying it, I may not have. Nobody should have to spend hours of time to get factory defects resolved, let alone repairs you pay for, especially with the price of these things. I was thinking about upgrading to the Inspire once business gets going, but these stories really make me wonder if they take customer service seriously. I don't have hours to spend on these issues. I barely have time the way it is.

Thank you for your very kind response. I love my Phantom 4 and I know that eventually I will feel the same way about my 4 Pro. I have recommended DJI drones to as number of friends and my recommendations have led to the purchase of a number of drones by them. As wonderful as they are however has been toned down by the lack of solid customer support shown by DJI. I sincerely hope that your experiences with your drone are only positive. They really are incredible pieces of equipment. Happy Flying!

Thank you for your very kind response. I love my Phantom 4 and I know that eventually I will feel the same way about my 4 Pro. I have recommended DJI drones to as number of friends and my recommendations have led to the purchase of a number of drones by them. As wonderful as they are however has been toned down by the lack of solid customer support shown by DJI. I sincerely hope that your experiences with your drone are only positive. They really are incredible pieces of equipment. Happy Flying!

Thanks for the reply, and thank you for the well wishes! That makes me fee better.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Thanks for your kind thoughts

Folks, there are always going to be problematic stories when you have a large manufacturer producing and selling thousands of units per month. I'm not a complete fanboy, but DJI has invested a lot into their CS. It is light years ahead of where it used to be and it seems they have taken a different attitude towards their customer base (for the better.) The fact is, very few share their GOOD stories in dealing with DJI, but all we hear is a constant onslaught of the bad. Remember that we're dealing with a highly-technical product that is inherently plagued with endless examples of USER ERROR. I, myself first received a faulty P4P ordered through B&H (camera gimbal issue.) Problems are going to happen. Be patient. Buy through vendors on your soil to make potential returns easier.

To the OP Capt Jim, I'm not trying to discount your frustration. It sucks when you make a significant investment into technology and run into problems. It sounds like you have the P4P+, which has had it's share of issues with the on-board tablet. This, my friends is part of the technology revolution that surrounds the aerial cameras we invest in. When you're one of the first to invest, there is a higher likelihood that you may have to be patient while bugs are worked-out. This is one of the major reasons I chose NOT to go with the P4P+... too new to trust. I'm very confident that DJI will get these bugs worked-out through firmware releases. In this industry, if you want the best, you have to be a little patient.
These aforementioned reasons are also why I have a serious issue with people buying these highly-technical pieces of equipment with absolutely no experience. The OP sounds to have some experience, but MANY do not! Part of ownership in this hobby and professional industry is being technically-inclined to handle what goes along with it. There will be issues where the hardware is faulty, but there are many others where the user has no idea what they're doing and should stick to toy-grade quads until they feel confident and comfortable moving to this level of investment.

Folks, there are always going to be problematic stories when you have a large manufacturer producing and selling thousands of units per month. I'm not a complete fanboy, but DJI has invested a lot into their CS. It is light years ahead of where it used to be and it seems they have taken a different attitude towards their customer base (for the better.) The fact is, very few share their GOOD stories in dealing with DJI, but all we hear is a constant onslaught of the bad. Remember that we're dealing with a highly-technical product that is inherently plagued with endless examples of USER ERROR. I, myself first received a faulty P4P ordered through B&H (camera gimbal issue.) Problems are going to happen. Be patient. Buy through vendors on your soil to make potential returns easier.

To the OP Capt Jim, I'm not trying to discount your frustration. It sucks when you make a significant investment into technology and run into problems. It sounds like you have the P4P+, which has had it's share of issues with the on-board tablet. This, my friends is part of the technology revolution that surrounds the aerial cameras we invest in. When you're one of the first to invest, there is a higher likelihood that you may have to be patient while bugs are worked-out. This is one of the major reasons I chose NOT to go with the P4P+... too new to trust. I'm very confident that DJI will get these bugs worked-out through firmware releases. In this industry, if you want the best, you have to be a little patient.
These aforementioned reasons are also why I have a serious issue with people buying these highly-technical pieces of equipment with absolutely no experience. The OP sounds to have some experience, but MANY do not! Part of ownership in this hobby and professional industry is being technically-inclined to handle what goes along with it. There will be issues where the hardware is faulty, but there are many others where the user has no idea what they're doing and should stick to toy-grade quads until they feel confident and comfortable moving to this level of investment.
Hi AerialZ-
You're absolutely correct- I previously had a Phantom 4 (still do) and it was absolutely trouble-free. It's an incredible piece of technology. Yes, I got one of the first Phantom 4 Pro units and I sent it back for replacement. I do realize that a brand new model is going to have its share of problems. But, what I am complaining about is DJI's really poor customer service. I was told when I originally sent the unit back that it would take 1-2 weeks for replacement. After that I heard nothing. It was up to me to communicate with the company to find out if the unit was received, when it was accepted, and when the replacement would be sent and delivered. (It actually turned out to be 3 1/2 weeks). A company that charges as much as they do, to then have customer service that takes almost all the pleasure out of flying the new drone, well, there's something that is wrong with that. I am not alone in my interaction with DJI. I have recommended the drones to a number of friends who have purchased their own and they, too, have been subject to the same level of frustration. While I think this is something that is popping up more and more in today's society, I think, in order to keep sales up, that these companies have to remember that the customer is always right, even though in real practice they may not be. I mean, how much does it cost to provide a new unit in order to potentially save a repeat customer in the future?

I feel your pain. Just bought a pro 2 weeks ago and had a stupid incident and broke a prop and the piece under the prop that attaches to the top of the motor. Called and after over an hour waiting i was told they don't sell the prop kit for the pro and this simple plastic part that is held by 3 screws to the top of the motor I would have to send my drone to California for them to fix it. Its a one minute fix for me if they just would send me the 2 dollar part but they won't sell the part. So Im left with a 1500 drone that I can't fly cause they won't sell this one simple part. Not sure what I am going to do as Ive sent them many emails to for a fix and no response yet.

Convert your P4P to the P4 prop mechanism. Will fly fine. The part is #51 in the DJI Store. Kit comes with the hardware to do a CCW and CW arm so you'd need two kits. Grand total of $6.

Buy Phantom 4 Series - Propeller Installation Kits | DJI Store

Just in case you may not know (and for others in same position) there is a metal replacement kit on Ebay...under heading Phantom 4 etc Edit..seller gogo-life aluminium propeller base mounting...maybe other sellers

Bigkat, try contacting Atlanta Hobby. They do all kinds of repairs and they are a very large DJI distributor. They are in Cumming GA just north of Atlanta and they have some really good techs there.

I will not bore everyone with my experience with DJI support just trying to update firmware. Fortunately I deal with Atlanta Hobby and one phone call to them the next morning and they helped me get it fixed. I was on the phone with DJI for 3 hours and was ready to have a stroke. Guy I was talking to had no idea what he was telling me to do.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik