Old Motors vs. New Ones

I bought mine on the 15th september from jessops and its got the old motors. Do you think i could yake it back and get it swopped for the new upated phantom advanced.

You could give it a go.. But Jessops may refer you to DJI (the manufacturer warranty etc)

It depends on your "skill" in these situations.. But within UK consumer law you can return something to the retailer if it..

"Is not fit for purpose" - as know problems with shell cracks due to old style motors (& you didn't expect Jessops to be selling the old style P3)

"Is not the quality you expect" - as buying a P3 isn't exactly cheap.

Maybe get some more info about the difference / problem & go in well "armed"

I got a full refund for an Xbox One a few weeks after they first come out (& I mean everything inc online membership cost) because I wasn't happy with the performance / quality of the product.. but my complaint was clear & precise (& calm!)

Last edited:
You could give it a go.. But Jessops may refer you to DJI (the manufacturer warranty etc)

It depends on your "skill" in these situations.. But within UK consumer law you can return something to the retailer if it..

"Is not fit for purpose" - as know problems with she'll cracks due to old style motors (& you didn't expect Jessops to be selling the old style P3)

"Is not the quality you expect" - as buying a P3 isn't exactly cheap.

Maybe get some more info about the difference / problem & go in well "armed"

I got a full refund for an Xbox One a few weeks after they first come out (& I mean everything inc online membership cost) because I wasn't happy with the performance / quality of the product.. but my complaint was clear & precise (& calm!)
thanks. i just need to find out when DJI started to ship phantoms with new shells and motors, if it was before 15sept i think i have a good case to get it exchanged.

The great looking case in question is the same one I purchased.
That's a @dji branded HardShell BackPack. Awesome fit and finish.

RedHotPoker

You're worrying about nothing. The difference is negligible.

P.S. Thread topic changed. Please use suitable titles.

Reactions: clivek_77
thanks. i just need to find out when DJI started to ship phantoms with new shells and motors, if it was before 15sept i think i have a good case to get it exchanged.
Good result for this morning. Took my advanced back to Jessops, told them my concerns and they exchanged it for a brand new one.. Checked while in shop and it's got the new type of motors on it. Well pleased with there service.

Reactions: JustinJ
Can anyone confirm if the shell is different on the phantoms with the newer motors? Meaning the construction where the motors are mounted?

I bought mine on the 15th september from jessops and its got the old motors. Do you think i could yake it back and get it swopped for the new upated phantom advanced.
Take it back and see what they say:D

Can anyone confirm if the shell is different on the phantoms with the newer motors? Meaning the construction where the motors are mounted?
The back of the motors where they mount are flat -- on the old motors, they have four mounting legs. Shell -- I don't believe anyone would know that at this early date. There have been no actual comparisons of the internals of the new and old shells.

Down yet another endless road...

It's rather amusing to watch from the sidelines. The panic over not having the latest gear.
Makes life interesting-- we have been shell cracking for months now:D:D:D:D

Reactions: Mr.Spock
I had the same issue with Best Buy!! They have no clue between the different models. I took it back. Just ordered from DJI directly. No purchase protection. But hope I won't need it!!!

I bought one from Micro center a few months ago, it came with the OLD motors too as well as a panasonic Micro SD card, not the Blue/Black Lexar high speed card that u get in the newer P3P.. Returned it and ordered via CopterShop and got an updated one..

Reactions: bobmyers
I don't think it's about having the newest gear, it's about having a possible fix to the cracked shells right below the motors due to stress.

If the new motors have a more flat mounting point, it should distribute the forces more evenly across that small area, instead of one or two 'spots' directly at the screws, also the new motors are fully sleeved with more support into the mounting/screw points, unlike the old ones IMO.

So might be an actual 'fix' without DJI saying so.

Also the new motors are supposed to be less powerful/use less juice isn't it? Maybe they detuned them so they don't create as much force as the first ones. Less speed, but most of us don't race these puppies. :)

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4