Old Motors vs. New Ones

I have the old motors. I don't care!!!
My P3 is working fine. Better the devil you know. If it cracks I take it back to Maplin and get it replaced. Or worse case I fix it myself.
The new motors are NEW. Just wait now for the reports the new motors are doing this or that - ESCs burning out etc etc.
I should think it is quite possible to have older motors with a better shell that wont crack!!!
Even without changing an injection mould it is suprising the difference in quality you can have by making minor variations. Different batches of plastic - different moulding temperatures and especially longer cooling cycles. Also these will be multiple cavity moulds - it could be only 1 cavity had the problem!!!

DJI has a post about the new motors on their website. The P3 also has an updated central board. Here's the link:

Compatibility Notice for New Phantom 3 Professional/Advanced Motors | DJI

And here's the full text (underlining & green mark up are mine):

- - - - - - - - - - - - -

DJI has made slight modifications to the Phantom 3 Professional/Advanced that help improve production capacity to meet the growing demand of the Phantom Series. These changes do not impact flight performance in any way. All existing Phantom 3 Professional/Advanced owners will continue to receive uninterrupted service and support for units made before these minor changes.

Phantom 3 Professional/Advanced New Motors Compatibility Notice

The latest version of the Phantom 3 Professional/Advanced has an updated central board and new motors. Follow the instructions below when replacing these components.

DO NOT install the new 2312A motors onto a Phantom 3 Professional/Advanced aircraft with the old central board (Spare Part NO. 33). Likewise, DO NOT install the old 2312 motors onto a Phantom 3 Professional/Advanced aircraft with the new central board (Spare Part NO. 96). Doing so will likely damage the aircraft. As a general rule, match the old motors with the old central board and the new motors with the new central board. Follow the steps below to replace the motors.

• Change the 2312 motors to the 2312A motors (or change the 2312A motors to 2312 motors), then install the corresponding central board.
  • When changing to the 2312A motors (or 2312 motors), please change all four motors.
  • If you do not wish to replace the motors and central board by yourself, contact DJI support to arrange an expert to help you.
Reminder – changing motors is only necessary in case of motor damage or as a part of regular scheduled maintence.

upload_2015-10-3_23-59-28.png

I agree with Wibble. I have the old motors, no cracks and almost 100 flights. If it cracks I'll deal with it.

Good result for this morning. Took my advanced back to Jessops, told them my concerns and they exchanged it for a brand new one.. Checked while in shop and it's got the new type of motors on it. Well pleased with there service.

Well done & good result!

In my opinion the newer motors appear to be mounted better than the old motors

It appears that the flush fitting will potentially spread the load & reduce the stress on the shell - which could(!) then fix the crack issue.

I'm just looking at this from an engineering point of view (not because I think the new motors are better or that they're shiny!)

Well done & good result!

In my opinion the newer motors appear to be mounted better than the old motors

It appears that the flush fitting will potentially spread the load & reduce the stress on the shell - which could(!) then fix the crack issue.

I'm just looking at this from an engineering point of view (not because I think the new motors are better or that they're shiny!)

Yes seeing the photo of the base I totally agree - less stress points. What about airflow through the motor though?

I have had both old and new and flown both in the same day, my new updated p3a is a lot quieter than my old version on tick over, I think that's the only difference I can tell upto now. Both phantoms are fantastic but I only bought mine last week and paid £899.00 so I wanted the newest model dji do.

Yes seeing the photo of the base I totally agree - less stress points. What about airflow through the motor though?

Interesting point.. Without pulling a motor apart or testing the running temp of the motor itself I can't comment.

There are a few variables to consider.

I'm sure we'll all hear about it when owners of the new motors complain that the P3 arms have melted where the motor is mounted (joking!)..

I have had both old and new and flown both in the same day, my new updated p3a is a lot quieter than my old version on tick over, I think that's the only difference I can tell upto now. Both phantoms are fantastic but I only bought mine last week and paid £899.00 so I wanted the newest model dji do.

I totally respect that!.. & I why shouldn't you?

Although there is no performance enhancement - the "potential" to avoid shell cracks at the motors is enhancement enough!

This very simple change will reduce a lot of vibration & (focused) stress (by spreading the load) - when compared to the old motors

Reactions: JoeyJoe
Don't worry, all of you P3P people with new motors (myself included) will be outdated when the P4 comes out soon!

Reactions: Daninho
If after 2 full battery runs, down to almost 25% with spirited flying no real time to cool other then coming down and landing, the arms under the motors were barely warm. Doubt you can melt anything there. My P3S has the new motors.
Also they are less powerful than the old ones so less stress or thrust as someone mentioned before.

PS. I did not get another P3 today. They only had the oldmotor version. Ugh.Guess I'll just order a P3A and ask them to check 1st of the motors.

If you have older motors u cannot just swap them. The esc on the main board are different. You have to swap out the main board with the newer motors.

I received a new P3A from Amazon on Tuesday of this week. It had the old motors on it. Tonight I found a stress crack underneath the front right motor(after only 5 days). So I decided to buy a new P3A from DJI direct. I'll return this one to Amazon when I get the new one in the mail.

Before returning I will take a bunch of pictures and video so everyone can compare the motors and the shell differences if any.

Attachments

• DSC_0055.JPG
    DSC_0055.JPG
    3.2 MB · Views: 1,419
In my honest opinion, if you look at the picture of the motors the old motor has a much more substantial housing and top bearing support. Also look at the bottom pic, it appears the shaft diameter on the new motors is considerably smaller? Everyone is concerned about the mounting but overlooking the actual quality of the motor itself. Just my 2 cents!

In my honest opinion, if you look at the picture of the motors the old motor has a much more substantial housing and top bearing support. Also look at the bottom pic, it appears the shaft diameter on the new motors is considerably smaller? Everyone is concerned about the mounting but overlooking the actual quality of the motor itself. Just my 2 cents!
Yes, I noticed this too. One thing I noticed on the new motor is that the bottom is flat, so maybe the torque of the motor twisting on its mount is more evenly distributed, as opposed to the old motors, of which its concentrated on just a small, central area. That, together with 'better heat disappation' might help too. Just my 2pence worth.

Reactions: happytreefriends

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4