New - Couple of questions

Reaction score
New Phantom 3 Advanced owner here. It just arrived last night in fact. I am planning my first flight for Saturday morning and spending the time now just sponging up as much as I can from the experts.

1. My friends all tell me that I must register my Phantom just like a car or a boat. I can't find anything telling me this is mandatory. Should I register somewhere before my first flight?

2. I only have one battery, so I will be limited at first. For a first flight, what would you say are the most important things I check for before the battery runs out?

3. I've seen several very nasty posts in a few threads. Is drama like that something I should expect on this forum? Other DJI forums?

4. I'm using a Mini 2 for now. Is there a list of the latest best settings using the latest app/FW or is it fine to use the older suggestions to start out?

5. Does LOS mean physically able to see with my own eyes or does the FPV count as sight? It seems like there are many threads with distances far beyond eyesight, so I know the Phantom has the capabilities.

6. Has anyone determined if the new motors are lesser quality than the original motors or no real difference? I have new, but I'm not sure that's a good thing. Sort of a "they don't build it like they used to" fear.

7. Regarding 2.7k video. I read a couple of threads saying that using a Phantom Advanced for 2.7k video will cause problems with video lag, etc. Has that been debunked or is it still an issue? I am anxious to use 2.7k.

8. I've read a lot about CSC and it has me nervous. It seems that if products have been developed to lock out a CSC, there must be some merit to the fear seen with new owners like myself. I'm slightly concerned about it. Even though I've read its not possible, why would there be a lock out product? Is this an issue at all?

9. Even if I set my GO app to imperial, some settings still show in meters. Specifically the critical RTH altitude. Am I not seeing some other setting to make everything imperial?

Sorry for so many questions. As you can tell I'm excited to get started. Thank you.

1) If you're referring to the FAA, this process is not in place yet. You do have to register your Phantom in the DJI GO app before your first flight.
2) Watch the battery voltage. See more details here.
3) Welcome to the Internet :)
4) Try these settings.
5) LOS means you can see your Phantom without an aid (e.g. FPV or binoculars).
6) I have the old motors and they work just fine. DJI is always improving the motors. The differences in performance are usually unnoticeable though.
8) It's only an issue if you get the sticks in that configuration while flying -- which is hard to do, but not impossible if you don't know what you're doing. I'll send you a safety for free if you want one. Just cover the shipping.
9) This is a bug in the app. There is no way to fix it yourself.

Welcome to the forum and Phantom family.
Yes, Definitely RTFM!! ;-) that's the most important advice anybody could share.
I only wanted to recommend you understand these intelligent flight battery rules. Soft break in, only fly down to 50% battery the first ten flights to break them in. After 20 full charges, which are monitored in the Go App, you should deep cycle them down to 8% then back to 100% charge. Even though you can set the time you want to auto discharge them, it's best to not leave them fully charged, if you aren't going to be flying for awhile. If you are using an Apple iOS device, you have the SIM at your disposal, use it to drain batteries if you can't fly. Just remove the props first. ;-)
Others will chime in with replies to your further questions.

Have fun, fly safe and happy landings.

RedHotPoker

Reactions: bobmyers
New Phantom 3 Advanced owner here. It just arrived last night in fact. I am planning my first flight for Saturday morning and spending the time now just sponging up as much as I can from the experts.

1. My friends all tell me that I must register my Phantom just like a car or a boat. I can't find anything telling me this is mandatory. Should I register somewhere before my first flight?

2. I only have one battery, so I will be limited at first. For a first flight, what would you say are the most important things I check for before the battery runs out?

3. I've seen several very nasty posts in a few threads. Is drama like that something I should expect on this forum? Other DJI forums?

4. I'm using a Mini 2 for now. Is there a list of the latest best settings using the latest app/FW or is it fine to use the older suggestions to start out?

5. Does LOS mean physically able to see with my own eyes or does the FPV count as sight? It seems like there are many threads with distances far beyond eyesight, so I know the Phantom has the capabilities.

6. Has anyone determined if the new motors are lesser quality than the original motors or no real difference? I have new, but I'm not sure that's a good thing. Sort of a "they don't build it like they used to" fear.

7. Regarding 2.7k video. I read a couple of threads saying that using a Phantom Advanced for 2.7k video will cause problems with video lag, etc. Has that been debunked or is it still an issue? I am anxious to use 2.7k.

8. I've read a lot about CSC and it has me nervous. It seems that if products have been developed to lock out a CSC, there must be some merit to the fear seen with new owners like myself. I'm slightly concerned about it. Even though I've read its not possible, why would there be a lock out product? Is this an issue at all?

9. Even if I set my GO app to imperial, some settings still show in meters. Specifically the critical RTH altitude. Am I not seeing some other setting to make everything imperial?

Sorry for so many questions. As you can tell I'm excited to get started. Thank you.

As noted earlier, no car/boat type registration required yet but very soon. In fact, assuming you are in the US we should know in the next 1-2 weeks.

I would say to lift off without being tentative and let it hover at about 15-20 feet just to be sure it's stable. Don't have it directly over your head, so let it go out away from you a bit. If everything seems okay, slowly move around and get used to the controls. Don't take it out of beginner mode for the first several flights. Also, when you land use the left stick down to stop the motors - not the CSC.

Sadly this seems to be true wherever you go. Sometimes it does get rather harsh here in this forum, but mostly it's friendly and educational.

Do you live in a warm climate area? If so, be careful about your Mini 2 overheating. It can lead to lagging FPV.

Eyesight. Yes, I know it is very limiting but its the safest thing to do.
Recreational Users | Know Before You Fly

The new/old debate is rather amusing. Some people freak out if they dont get the new motors, I guess just assuming they must be so much better. I have old motors and have no issues with them. I guess time will tell if the new are more or less durable.

I've used the 2.7k a couple of times. For me, the FPV is not a buttery smooth as it is when in 1080 mode. Still, it is very usable and the SD card video is always pristine.

I remember being very worried about this at first. Use the simulator and try it while in the air virtually. You'll see that it's a crazy way to hold your sticks while flying. Not likely to happen accidentally, but yes its possible.

As noted, this can't be fixed. It has bitten a few with their RTH altitude as you noted, so good for you for noticing that already.

I think if the majority were going to be completely honest, they'd admit that they regularly fly out of line of sight. In any case, once you get 60-70 metres high and 300 metres away you'd need Steve Austins eyes to see it, even in clear air!

1) If you're referring to the FAA, this process is not in place yet. You do have to register your Phantom in the DJI GO app before your first flight.
2) Watch the battery voltage. See more details here.
3) Welcome to the Internet :)
4) Try these settings.
6) I have the old motors and they work just fine. DJI is always improving the motors. The differences in performance are usually unnoticeable though.
8) It's only an issue if you get the sticks in that configuration while flying -- which is hard to do, but not impossible if you don't know what you're doing. I'll send you a safety for free if you want one. Just cover the shipping.
9) This is a bug in the app. There is no way to fix it yourself.
Thank you. Is the DJI registration something I can do at home or do I need to be outside and powered up? I guess I'm asking if I can do it in advance?

I think if the majority were going to be completely honest, they'd admit that they regularly fly out of line of sight. In any case, once you get 60-70 metres high and 300 metres away you'd need Steve Austins eyes to see it, even in clear air!
It seems like such a waste to not go further. That seems to be where most of the excitement would come from. I guess it's like driving on the highway. We never exceed the speed limit, right?

Yes, Definitely RTFM!! ;-) that's the most important advice anybody could share.
I only wanted to recommend you understand these intelligent flight battery rules. Soft break in, only fly down to 50% battery the first ten flights to break them in. After 20 full charges, which are monitored in the Go App, you should deep cycle them down to 8% then back to 100% charge. Even though you can set the time you want to auto discharge them, it's best to not leave them fully charged, if you aren't going to be flying for awhile. If you are using an Apple iOS device, you have the SIM at your disposal, use it to drain batteries if you can't fly. Just remove the props first. ;-)

RedHotPoker
Thanks for the note about 50% at first. That will be very hard to do for a new guy with only one battery!

As noted earlier, no car/boat type registration required yet but very soon. In fact, assuming you are in the US we should know in the next 1-2 weeks.

I would say to lift off without being tentative and let it hover at about 15-20 feet just to be sure it's stable. Don't have it directly over your head, so let it go out away from you a bit. If everything seems okay, slowly move around and get used to the controls. Don't take it out of beginner mode for the first several flights. Also, when you land use the left stick down to stop the motors - not the CSC.

Sadly this seems to be true wherever you go. Sometimes it does get rather harsh here in this forum, but mostly it's friendly and educational.

Do you live in a warm climate area? If so, be careful about your Mini 2 overheating. It can lead to lagging FPV.

Eyesight. Yes, I know it is very limiting but its the safest thing to do.
Recreational Users | Know Before You Fly

The new/old debate is rather amusing. Some people freak out if they dont get the new motors, I guess just assuming they must be so much better. I have old motors and have no issues with them. I guess time will tell if the new are more or less durable.

I've used the 2.7k a couple of times. For me, the FPV is not a buttery smooth as it is when in 1080 mode. Still, it is very usable and the SD card video is always pristine.

I remember being very worried about this at first. Use the simulator and try it while in the air virtually. You'll see that it's a crazy way to hold your sticks while flying. Not likely to happen accidentally, but yes its possible.

As noted, this can't be fixed. It has bitten a few with their RTH altitude as you noted, so good for you for noticing that already.
Wow thanks for the extensive answers. You rock. I'm on Long Island, so its for sure not hot. That's something I will need to watch next summer.

You will need to be connected to the internet to register in the DJI GO app. So you probably will want to do that at home.
On yeah, that makes sense. I'll for sure be doing this tonight then. Thanks

Welcome! You are already doing more than most new owners of this technological wonder, you are reading up and asking questions. Good for you.
Have you ever flown RC planes? If not, please take it very slow on flying your Phantom for a little while. Yes, it's very easy to fly and that's the problem. When you first start flying RC planes, you ALWAYS crash in the beginning. The learning curve is steep and you learn quickly. After a while, which stick controls what , how to turn the right way when coming at you vs heading away, how to anticipate the effects of wind by making minor corrections, etc. becomes automatic. With the Phantom, you don't need these skills WHEN EVERYTHING IS OK. It's when things get interesting that you suddenly have a problem. Gee, I'm getting awfully close to that house/tree, (modest panic), oops, turned the wrong way or oops hit the wrong stick, CRASH. Bad 4th flight. The easy flying Phantom hasn't taught you to fly yet.
Have a good time with this amazing craft, but learn to really fly it.
When you are out in a very open field, practice engaging ATTI mode without looking at the transmitter. In this mode it's still (too) easy to fly, altitude will be maintained for you, but position will not, so you can practice flying around when it can still move despite releasing the right stick.
Have fun, be safe.

Reactions: JoBe
Thanks for the note about 50% at first. That will be very hard to do for a new guy with only one battery!
An eager young pilot could do those ten flights in one day.
I would advise getting atleast one more battery. I have four now, and also bought an extra 100w charger. ;-)
A 50% battery doesn't take that long to charge back up to 100%.

RedHotPoker

Wow thanks for the extensive answers. You rock. I'm on Long Island, so its for sure not hot. That's something I will need to watch next summer.
Cool. I grew up on Long Island. Suffolk County. Happy flying sir!

RedHotPoker

I'm curious about the battery recommendation. From my understanding, battery break in hasn't been proven to make a difference.

Mark.

I wonder who here has sharp hawk eyes to spot their Phantom when it is 1 mile away, even when there is no obstruction in between?

Judging by the poll in the General section where most owners are over 50 years old, may be DJI should just limits the flight distance to just 0.5 mile if people are so pedantic about maintaining LOS with naked eyes.

I'm 52 and I have no problem seeing my phantom when it's 2 miles down range.
Blimey, my eyesight is just about perfect as I wear contact lenses but there is not a chance in hell I could spot mine at that distance.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31