Horizon v-3 split power mod

I have not contributed to the forum for a long time. Interesting findings with all the R&D. Not sure why people think it is a myth. All I can say is that I flew 34 minutes using this mod. Flat out on full tilt. You can't fly 90000 feet otherwise. Check the screen grab - at 45037 feet I had 56% battery and 17:27 flight time. On the 15th there are 2 flights - one with the mod at 34 minutes and one without the mod at 26 minutes. You can't fly 17 miles without a successful battery mod. This one did it for me. I would like more battery time but for the time been I think this is as good as it gets.

p3 8.5miles.PNG

IMG_0052.PNG

Thats great Silva, I dont think the majority of us would use the term "myth", but as you can see from some of our independant tests, its not going to happen for us.
Refer back to post # 44 Mohan!

Last edited:
I like testing and it is fascinating that sometimes the same mod is not reproducible. I used to get frustrated but realised that there are so many variables. The tests that have been done show clearly the flight times. What is is interesting to find out is why there is a variation. Is it the temp? Is it the aircraft firmware? Is it props that are used. I don't have the answers but thought I would share that it is possible to fly 34 minutes with this mod under the circumstances I flew.

Thats great Silva, I dont think the majority of us would use the term "myth", but as you can see from some of our independant tests, its not going to happen for us.

Reactions: dirtybum
I like testing and it is fascinating that sometimes the same mod is not reproducible. I used to get frustrated but realised that there are so many variables. The tests that have been done show clearly the flight times. What is is interesting to find out is why there is a variation. Is it the temp? Is it the aircraft firmware? Is it props that are used. I don't have the answers but thought I would share that it is possible to fly 34 minutes with this mod under the circumstances I flew.

There are no variables when you hover in the garage from 100 to 10 and get 23 minutes. Please see my post.

Reactions: dirtybum
To be honest I didn't check it that carefully. I think instead of going for the adrenaline rush of doing a long range flight which I have always got a buzz off I need to concentrate on some of the R&D you guys are doing by documenting voltages, temp, weights etc. If it helps this is the flytrex voltage graph. See if you can make out any reasons

http://www.flytrex.com/mission/quad...ional-v3-battery-mod-mohan-de-silva-qTj9ussM/

Then it would have to be how the external battery was built? Did your external batteries end up being .10 volts per cell higher than the main P3 battery?

are the V3 built in the Uk done differently than the ones in the US? maybe who is doing the us mod is not doing something right.....

are the V3 built in the Uk done differently than the ones in the US? maybe who is doing the us mod is not doing something right.....
Don't hold me to this but I believe Fredz, Who shared his less than successful numbers on here, is from the UK and got his mod from the UK

To be honest I didn't check it that carefully. I think instead of going for the adrenaline rush of doing a long range flight which I have always got a buzz off I need to concentrate on some of the R&D you guys are doing by documenting voltages, temp, weights etc. If it helps this is the flytrex voltage graph. See if you can make out any reasons

http://www.flytrex.com/mission/quad...ional-v3-battery-mod-mohan-de-silva-qTj9ussM/
Maybe you should post your set up of your p3 pics so we can have a good look to see what is so different about your set up

Reactions: dirtybum and Ed209
I have done so much testing of battery mods that if the V3 is dependent on the "perfect" environmental conditions to achieve 30+ min then it's absolutely not worth it because I can get consistent times from 27f to 70f so far using other externals. That and comparing the voltages shows me that somethings not right with the v3.

I feel the same way, if you got to baby it along then it's not worth my time

Last year before I took a 5 month break flying the UAVs' I managed to fly 7.8 miles using the P3 battery and 2 nanotech's strapped up (1600ma). I would consistently get around 27 minutes flight time. Bearing in mind that the P3 was HV cells and the nanotech were standard it still worked out an additional 3-4 mins. Once this mod was done I noticed that the external HV battery pack propped up the internal DJI battery.

I will experiment with different external batteries - just ordered some hyperion G6 HV cells.

My P3 is no different to anybody else's - in fact I have smashed up 4 P3 aircraft so far - I don't think I have any unique setup.

I think the request for pics of your setup Silva, comes from the statements from Will of Horizon who states that battery trays are too heavy and result in poor results. When we already know that Unknown uses the said battery trays. So if you could Mohan, please post some pics of your bird setup w/ the v-3 the way you achieved the extended flight times. That would help some of us sort out the mystery of whats working for who and whats not.
Also, thankyou, Mohan for stepping in and participating in the discussion!

Also, Mohan can you confirm that you are getting consistent results? What model P3 are you flying and what firmware? I'd be willing to send my horizon rig out to anyone getting consistent results just to see how the rig made here in the US compares.

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Sorry guys, nothing beats my mod ; -) 29 km, 39 mins, 12% left. And that it is with 1.4 fw.

18.5 mins full power flight, in windy conditions, 60% batt left.

Last edited:
Mohan gets 26 minutes without aux battery, he wrote. That's just amazing. I get 20 at the very best, on my bird with new motors (more often just 16-17)... Maybe that's key to why he flies so long. And probably (to a lesser degree) his outside temps.
Mohan: new or old motors, and what firmware? Also, when you charge them up, what voltage are the cells at and how much mAh does your charger charge back into them? These variables are key to know.

Fredz - I think I mentioned 26 minutes with 1600 nanotechs - I only started getting 33-34 minutes with HV cells with 5200ma capacity

Mohan gets 26 minutes without aux battery, he wrote. That's just amazing. I get 20 at the very best, on my bird with new motors (more often just 16-17)... Maybe that's key to why he flies so long. And probably (to a lesser degree) his outside temps.
Mohan: new or old motors, and what firmware? Also, when you charge them up, what voltage are the cells at and how much mAh does your charger charge back into them? These variables are key to know.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kingroberto666