Plug n play battery mod

I would conclude the difference in heat is negligible?

When I plug in the modified dji battery to charge it blinks the green lights to show it's charging. When I hook the other two batteries up to it, charging lights on the smart battery go out as though it's not charging. What gives?

When I plug in the modified dji battery to charge it blinks the green lights to show it's charging. When I hook the other two batteries up to it, charging lights on the smart battery go out as though it's not charging. What gives?
maybe hook all together then start the charge

I think it's because the splits are fully charged. They read seemingly full at 15.54 total with all 4 cells looking balanced at 3.890. The smart battery just finished charging alone. I'll bet when I run them down they will charge as they should together.

Actually no, the splits only shows half full. Not sure what to do now as the smart battery is fully charged now. I have them hooked up thinking they'll charge anyway?

Well, this just arrived! Don't think I'll get a chance to fly it this weekend. Looking forward to this though. I'm really surprised how heavy the splits are! That's a lot of extra weight that I guess the extra juice makes up for. This should be very interesting to see how it goes!

Do you know how much additional weight is added to the P3?

Or the the total weight of P3 with mod added?

Last edited:
Actually no, the splits only shows half full. Not sure what to do now as the smart battery is fully charged now. I have them hooked up thinking they'll charge anyway?
If you just leave them plugged in they should charge on the way, you may have to turn the battery on first then plug the externals in, you know it takes 2 1/2 times as long to charge it all together than it does just a normal smart battery

Reactions: tdparker510
Once you work the kinks out you'll get a system down and it'll run smoothly

Ok so one flight done. My experience so far is as follows and this will be a long read, sorry. Summary, I'm happy so far.

Turned the smart battery on to charge with the splits hooked up, green charge lights went out. Tried different orders of connection but couldn't get the green charge lights to blink with the splits hooked up. I wrongly thought the splits were full but were only half full. But now, the smart battery was done charging. Went to hook the splits up to my external charger but ****, I need an xt60 connector, lol. No go there. I hooked them back up to the smart battery and hooked it back up to my dji 100w charger and even though the lights didn't come on, it was charging the splits. They took a full charge very quickly and in about 25 minutes they were done.

First flight I got 22 minutes in 7-10 mph winds, however I landed at 25%. I did that for a few reasons. The app informed me the battery needs an update. Wasn't ready for that one as all my batteries are up to date. No biggie, but not thrilled it's not updated for the first flight. Frankly, I'm still a chicken when the percentage gets low, in the red. All my flying, and I have flown a lot, I've never pushed into the red. This will take some getting used to, lol. However, my need for this isn't to push red at extreme low percentage. I only need about 22 minutes worth of video and if I can bring it back in having gotten that footage with 27% or so left, that's a win for me- a huge win. My smart batteries alone can't touch even a mere 22 minutes. I also didn't want to push it in a huge way the first flight. I think it read 24% when on the ground, motors off. I have to get used to the fact that turning off the smart battery isn't enough. You have to pull out the splits too for full power down.

Question to confirm I have my external charger set right to charge the splits, if I choose to do that. Check my settings please -

Pack voltage - 14.8v/4s
Capasity- 5200mah
Current- 5.2a
End voltsge- 4.20v/cell

My charger seems to set this up as default when I choose 4s,5200mah. If I could have hooked the splits up, it would confirm whether that's ok or not. But I'm not sure that's the correct settings so I won't do it unless I'm sure.

I planned on taking the splits off the bird and only use them when I need them. Now, I'm not so sure, lol. The bird behaves absolutely perfectly even with the extra weight. I really couldn't notice any difference than usual. I flew the flight as I would normally fly for event filming. For litchi flights, I also set the speed for 8.5mph, so no problem there either. Nothing but feeling more secure I will not run out of power.

I like this setup. It's awesome seeing so much battery last and last during flight! I might get even more as the batteries settle in. Btw, this is the final way I put this together. Sturdy and secure.

20160424_170308.jpg

20160424_170225.jpg

Reactions: flyNfrank and Jtrjr
Thats awesome Shockwave! Now when we say we get 30+ min. Us testers are bringing it down to 5% or lower. The fact that you got 22 min @ 25% should be promising! Good 1st flight and 1st review!
Please next time you fly share w/ us what yer app counter started at & if you land at 25-30% how much time did the app say was left.
If you charge these splits w/out the smart bat using a independant charger you should charge them on the liHV setting 15.2 v so the end balances are 3.33-3.35

If you charge these splits w/out the smart bat using a independant charger you should charge them on the liHV setting 15.2 v so the end balances are 3.33-3.35
I have a prodigy 680. It doesn't have that choice of battery. Crap.

Btw, flight time 21:55, 3:33 left projected on the time line, 24% on landing, 14.84pack, 3.70/cell @ 12% left showing on the splits after the flight.

Nice review...good job! :)

I have a prodigy 680. It doesn't have that choice of battery. Crap.
You can plug the smart battery into the DJI charger and let it start charging them plug your split into your prodigy and let it charge up to 4.20 then when it's all done just plug it into the smart battery and let it top off, I've done that to speed things up a little

I'd ideally like to charge them all connected as one unit to the dji charger, as it's supposed to work. Tom, you're in this thread. Any suggestions as to what to do?

Edit, now it's working. Maybe it didn't work the first time because the splits were at 50% already and it caused the smart battery to stop charging. Not sure but now that I did a flight and the smart and split batteries are really down, now it works. Cool.

Last edited:
Hey Mike would you care to share your .txt flight log file to that run? If so you can attach it here the same as a image. Or send it to me in a PM if you prefer.

Btw, do you know the red flag limit on battery volts, and also what happens now with the P3 when that limit is reached?
Hey Frank, I played around for an hour trying to sync I-phone to I-tunes did out txt file etc.
I get frustrated easy so I shut it down and started doing something easier, breaking open a smart bat that needed modded[emoji41]
If you'd really like those files I'll try again tomorrow? It was your instructions that was incomplete it was my skillset!

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj