Horizon v-3 split power mod

I just got back my battery split from Horizon and all is well except when the split batteries are plugged in the aircraft status says the compass is in error and to recalibrate, metal may be in the area, (which isn't the case). . If the splits are unplugged the safe to fly in GPS returns. No problems with a stock battery or the other modified battery.
What my question is, due to my RF V16 gps tracker being mounted at the upper part of the landing legs, I mounted the split batteries at the bottom of the legs. Do you think that might be my problem? Has anyone else had this malady? I appreciate any input anyone might have.

I just got back my battery split from Horizon and all is well except when the split batteries are plugged in the aircraft status says the compass is in error and to recalibrate, metal may be in the area, (which isn't the case). . If the splits are unplugged the safe to fly in GPS returns. No problems with a stock battery or the other modified battery.
What my question is, due to my RF V16 gps tracker being mounted at the upper part of the landing legs, I mounted the split batteries at the bottom of the legs. Do you think that might be my problem? Has anyone else had this malady? I appreciate any input anyone might have.

That could be the issue, the compass is down there on a leg. And you don't really want anything blocking the 4 antennas in the legs as well.

Thank you for the advice. Let me add 1 more point. With them still mounted low but unplugged all operation is normal.
I will move them anyway. Th
That could be the issue, the compass is down there on a leg. And you don't really want anything blocking the 4 antennas in the legs as well.
Yep move the tracker, put the bats up higher
ok thx

Did another test of the Horizon v3 split mod. This time down to 10%. See my previous tests here for comparison: Horizon v-3 split power mod

Here's todays test:

Horizon v3 mod (brand new batteries)
Total aircraft weight: 1692.6g

Time: 7:13PM
Temp: 57
Wind: 12mph S
Beginning voltages
Main DJI bat

4.32 4.33 4.32 4.33
Split bat
4.33 4.35 4.34 4.35

Ending voltages
Main DJI bat

3.69 3.67 3.68 3.69
Split bat
3.76 3.77 3.76 3.77

Time to 10%: 24:58

The Horizon 2x2S took 3035mAh when recharging to get back to 4.35v per cell. That means 1445mAh remained in the external packs when DJI Go indicated 10% on the main battery, roughly about 20 watt hours. The .10v deviation between the 2x2S and the DJI battery is still prevalent.

Last edited:
Thank you guys for quality advice. I moved the tracker to the gimble guard on the bottom and mounted the splits at the top of the legs with lightweight holders. The outcome was awesome. All works as it's suppose to and is so much fun!

Thank you guys for quality advice. I moved the tracker to the gimble guard on the bottom and mounted the splits at the top of the legs with lightweight holders. The outcome was awesome. All works as it's suppose to and is so much fun!
Please post your flight times and other results here

Last edited:
I don't see the gains. Can't we get about 23 minutes on a stock P3? Adding 2 batteries and taking the risk of a wiring failure, etc for a few more minutes doesn't seem worth it to me. It seems DJI got it right. They added less than 1,000mah to the P4 and got several more minutes. One other thing i noticed about my freinds P4 is that the body is slimmer from above. This keeps the arms out of the prop wash better. Even the prop guards hurt flight times from loss of thrust. I think any battery mod I may eventually do will be batteries under the drone and not blocking any prop thrust. I think that is where a lot of loss results from the side saddle battery designs. They block prop thrust and that makes the drone work harder just to stay in the air. Then the added weight comes into play of course.

P.S. I bet if you cut the plastic arms off and had just the wires and thin vertical carbon fiber arms connecting the motors to the body you would gain 1 or more minutes flight time. Look at the Inspire1 with thin tube arms.

Hey guys Ed is sending me his power mod V3 and I'm going to test it against the one I have. His is getting particularly bad numbers only 25 minutes 2 10% I'm going to go down to Milestone to test it out with Chuck from DBS mods. I'll let you know how everything goes hopefully I'll have a video up on periscope so everybody can see it.

Hey Keith, what's your Periscope/Twitter? I'm not on FaceBook but I have Twitter/Periscope.

Reactions: dirtybum
Hey dirty bum with all your flying long bistance the hours you put on your bird.have you changed any motors yet? When do you plan to change them.talk to my dji rep he says 150hrs fly time.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers