Time for a class action lawsuit against DJI?

Status
Not open for further replies.
And then we start this all over again... [emoji38]
LOL - when the P3 came out, the discussions of the P2 went into radio silence.

Reactions: skyhighdiver
Wow Ian.

Tha's pretty unusual behaviour for you.

Since when is a discussion defined as 1-sided dialog?

Didn't the OP end with a question?

Censoring decorum is one thing, opinions another.

The OP is looking for supporters, not detractors. Too often, myself included, we offer an opinion on what someone is seeking help with versus actually trying to help.

This thread is all opinions on what the OP would like to do, much repetition and most of them in an unhelpful tone (including mine).

We should change our tone at a minimum. And we should really only offer our opinion if we think it's really going to be helpful to the OP. And if that opinion is already expressed, we certainly don't need to debate it unless that is what is being asked.

Reactions: gfredrone
It has been a long time coming for more than just cracks. After saying this, so should 3D robotics with the Solo release.

Yes we shouldn't have cracks to begin with. Sorry to hear about your stress cracks. A quick fix would be the liquid plastic cements hobby stores have, it melts the plastic and seals it.

Yes we shouldn't have cracks to begin with. Sorry to hear about your stress cracks. A quick fix would be the liquid plastic cements hobby stores have, it melts the plastic and seals it.
This will void your warranty and shift all liability to you. Great idea! ;)

Well first off they are fixing them, so there is a solution. If you do not like the turn time, which from what I read has gotten significantly less than 6-8 weeks, you can buy another shell. So a class action law suit would be difficult to do, you have prove that there is no response from the manufacturer. There is. Also the only people who gain anything is the attorneys involved who get paid first with any settlement, the rest gets divided. You will have to bring a law suit up to the courts first and then get the judge to make a class action by specifying specific data relating to mass failures. There is lots of squawking but hard to get real numbers as we have no idea of percentages of cracks vs units without. Class action suits takes years to resolve, there will be newer models or they will be discontinued long before there is any resolution. The quads are small change in real world numbers. The parent company is overseas, difficult if not impossible to prosecute or collect.

I agree there is a problem with the shells with some users. I have not seen cracks yet, that does not mean it will not happen. However there are solutions. This is a hobby item, it hardly stopping anyone from making a living so in the reality, get them to fix it for free, send it back. Take a vacation.

Alan
If I/we have to "buy"/pay to replace shell, that is not a legally acceptable solution. At minimum, DJI should have at the very minimum, fixed the issue on new sales, when the problem was discovered to be a defect in manufacturing.

I have made this suggestion before but for the sake of those who haven't reviewed this entire thread, it bears repeating.
If you seriously think you have been defrauded by DJI's representations about their products OR if you believe that they do not properly honor their warranty, you simply need to contact your state Attorney General's consumer protection division. They have the expertise and duty to follow up on such claims, AT NO COST TO YOU. They will analyze the claim, check for other such claims, mediate your claim with DJI and, if in their professional opinion they believe more is necessary, they will bring either administrative or legal action.
Based on my professional assessment of the claims discussed here, I don't believe a private class action attorney would be interested in this case. So if you feel as strongly as you appear to, contact your state AG and file a formal complaint there.
If you need assistance in finding how to make contact with your AG's office, PM me and I will get the contact information for you.

I'm no lawyer, but my experience with class action suits is that the stakes have got to be a lot higher in order to get a law firm to take this on. DJI isn't General Motors and, as someone else said earlier in the forum comments, they're a foreign owned company, so good luck getting any money out of them.

I'm no lawyer, but my experience with class action suits is that the stakes have got to be a lot higher in order to get a law firm to take this on. DJI isn't General Motors and, as someone else said earlier in the forum comments, they're a foreign owned company, so good luck getting any money out of them.
Actually, DJI does business here and has US interests and assets which can be attached if a court determines that damages must be paid.

Coincidentally, I got a voice mail yesterday from a law firm in NYC with regard to a class action suit against DJI. No idea what it's about but I will be checking in with them on Monday.

Coincidentally, I got a voice mail yesterday from a law firm in NYC with regard to a class action suit against DJI. No idea what it's about but I will be checking in with them on Monday.
Interesting. Keep us informed please.

The ONLY WAY you could win a lawsuit for cracked frames on a flying device is to prove that you NEVER EVER crashed it. With video you can film something and have proof when an even occurs but if you crash it they will just say you didn't provide the video of the crash, only the good flights.

Its impossible.

If you were a judge and a group of people turned claiming they had cracked frames from "stress" and you asked them all how many Phantoms crashed, hit walls, trees etc. How many people could say their Phantom never hit anything?

Well first off they are fixing them, so there is a solution. If you do not like the turn time, which from what I read has gotten significantly less than 6-8 weeks, you can buy another shell. So a class action law suit would be difficult to do, you have prove that there is no response from the manufacturer. There is. Also the only people who gain anything is the attorneys involved who get paid first with any settlement, the rest gets divided. You will have to bring a law suit up to the courts first and then get the judge to make a class action by specifying specific data relating to mass failures. There is lots of squawking but hard to get real numbers as we have no idea of percentages of cracks vs units without. Class action suits takes years to resolve, there will be newer models or they will be discontinued long before there is any resolution. The quads are small change in real world numbers. The parent company is overseas, difficult if not impossible to prosecute or collect.

I agree there is a problem with the shells with some users. I have not seen cracks yet, that does not mean it will not happen. However there are solutions. This is a hobby item, it hardly stopping anyone from making a living so in the reality, get them to fix it for free, send it back. Take a vacation.

Alan
The turnaround time my have gotten better but the repair quality has dropped off considerably.

IMG_0155.JPG
DJI is clearly itching for a class action lawsuit for ignoring the stress crack issue with many of it's P3Ps. Rather than replace their defective product, they insist on "fixing" your bird over a period of 6-8 weeks. Unacceptable! Any lawyers out there with this problem? Who'll join me?
They are not stress cracks. The cracks are there from the factory. I had mine in for repair.I had to open the shell myself to repair their repairs. Keep in mind i only flew the craft less than 10 times from the time it was new until i had to send it in for repair. Having never flown a P3 before...i flew very cautiously which in turn caused no undo stress.After opening the shell i inspected the areas around where the screws go.The area where a lot of people are seeing cracks. The bottom half of the shell.Out of the 8 nubs ....4 of them have cracks.2 of them have 2 cracks and the other 2 have 1 crack. Its apparent they were cracked during manufacturing. No cracks around the outer most smaller 4 screws. And no cracks around the inner 4 bigger screws.
Whats really sad is that i had it in for repair and they didnt even take the time to look for cracks that they know exist.

Last edited:
The ONLY WAY you could win a lawsuit for cracked frames on a flying device is to prove that you NEVER EVER crashed it. With video you can film something and have proof when an even occurs but if you crash it they will just say you didn't provide the video of the crash, only the good flights.

Its impossible.

If you were a judge and a group of people turned claiming they had cracked frames from "stress" and you asked them all how many Phantoms crashed, hit walls, trees etc. How many people could say their Phantom never hit anything?
Ok. Suppose a buy a brand new P3.Open it up and show the cracks that are there from manufacturing. Would i win the lawsuit?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl