Possible Lawsuit against DJI?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Once again DJI has served me a lemon and demanded I swallow it.

Long story short(er): Buy phantom 4 pro from authorized dealer. Wait after 14 days but before 30 to make a claim because I was feeling the issue out. My issue is that the battery (multiple) do not stay properly snug in the battery compartment and have a bit of play where they can move around even when snapped in. Here is a youtube video of the problem:
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

It is problematic for two reasons:
1. it causes a vibration in the drone that makes the video shaky and unsuitable for my professional useage.
2. It is clearly not the intended design to have a battery that moves around in the battery compartment. That is not consistent with industry wide practices in aerospace to have a battery that is moving around in its compartment and may make for a loose or faulty connection leading to power loss.

I did some research, and while a few other people were reporting the problem, this is not how most phantom 4's function, and so I believe that this is a "manufacturer" defect.

So. I send it in to DJI at their request. They have the drone for over 3 weeks. it is in there for about 4 days for repairs. They send the drone back to me and it has the exact same problem, nothing has changed or been fixed. I contact dji customer care to ask what did the technicians do to the drone because it clearly has the same problem I sent it in for. They give me some scripted response runaround and suggest that I send it in to be analyzed and repaired again. I explain to them this is not what I asked, and she told me that the warranty repairs that were done was "replacing the battery". I clearly indicated that the problem was not the individual battery but the battery compartment. But the kicker is. They did not replace my battery. The serial number on the one I sent in and got back was the same. So they lied about what they did to fix my drone.

This is very suspicious. The battery is covered under their warranty, but the frame is not and I believe it is a frame issue. However, they are under obligation to repair or replace something they sell that has a manufactured defect. I believe that they are avoiding acknowledging this manufactured defect so that they do not have to do a product recall which would be expensive for them. They said that they replaced my battery to solve the issue and they did not even do that.

So I got back with customer service, but no one there has any authority and all they can do is put you through the script and suggest you send your drone in. I explained that I wanted to talk to someone who can assure me that they will get me a replacement drone asap to correct the mistake they made, and all they gave me was send it to the technicians and I will make a note you want a new drone.

So. I am done with this companies shenanigans, because this, I believe, is clear grounds for a lawsuit. They sold me a product with a manufactured defect. I sent it to them for repairs, and they did not do the repairs that they claimed to do, they did not even claim to repair the system that I indicated there was a problem in. They sent me back my drone knowingly with the exact same problem I sent it in for. They admitted there was a problem by doing "warranty repairs" on what I sent in, but those warranty repairs did not fix the problem and they were not even done.

I would like to bring legal action against DJI to stop this kind of behavior because I believe it is fradulent and negligent. Furthermore, I think DJI is doing this as calculated unethical business practice to cover up a manufacturers defect that is known to them, and that is a very serious violation of consumer law that could get them hit with serious fines.

Does anyone know anything about this and my legal grounds for a lawsuit? Does anyone know any lawyers that deal with this sort of thing?

Thanks all.

What specific laws do you believe are being violated, and what other data do you have to support wide ranging problems? Are you willing to spend large sums on a lawsuit with no guarantee of return for a $1500 drone? It's a crappy situation, but the legal system is a slow, cumbersome and expensive way to resolve things like this.

Seems about 2-4 times a year someone here wants to file suit. Yet to hear or see of one IIRC.
Like micro above eluded to...For the cost of a Phantom you'd get about 2-5 hours of a Lawyer's time.

Last edited:
If this is only happening in one or two drones... There is no legal base here. Now if this was widespread and DJI does not do anything at all, then yes.

At best you have a small-claims case.

What evidence do you have that the battery is causing your vibration problems? It seems reasonably snug to me. A little play isn't going to necessarily lead to high-frequency vibration that will lead to video problems.

I had the same issue and returned it for a prompt replacement from my authorized distributor.

Statutory rights. Get a refund or exchange! Simple. You have too much spare time if your planning all that.

Reactions: Quadcopter102
Seems a long hard way to go about things. As said before why not just take it to where you bought it from?
I doubt very much if you'd get anywhere with a law suit.

Once again DJI has served me a lemon and demanded I swallow it.

Long story short(er): Buy phantom 4 pro from authorized dealer. Wait after 14 days but before 30 to make a claim because I was feeling the issue out. My issue is that the battery (multiple) do not stay properly snug in the battery compartment and have a bit of play where they can move around even when snapped in. Here is a youtube video of the problem:
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

It is problematic for two reasons:
1. it causes a vibration in the drone that makes the video shaky and unsuitable for my professional useage.
2. It is clearly not the intended design to have a battery that moves around in the battery compartment. That is not consistent with industry wide practices in aerospace to have a battery that is moving around in its compartment and may make for a loose or faulty connection leading to power loss.

I did some research, and while a few other people were reporting the problem, this is not how most phantom 4's function, and so I believe that this is a "manufacturer" defect.

So. I send it in to DJI at their request. They have the drone for over 3 weeks. it is in there for about 4 days for repairs. They send the drone back to me and it has the exact same problem, nothing has changed or been fixed. I contact dji customer care to ask what did the technicians do to the drone because it clearly has the same problem I sent it in for. They give me some scripted response runaround and suggest that I send it in to be analyzed and repaired again. I explain to them this is not what I asked, and she told me that the warranty repairs that were done was "replacing the battery". I clearly indicated that the problem was not the individual battery but the battery compartment. But the kicker is. They did not replace my battery. The serial number on the one I sent in and got back was the same. So they lied about what they did to fix my drone.

This is very suspicious. The battery is covered under their warranty, but the frame is not and I believe it is a frame issue. However, they are under obligation to repair or replace something they sell that has a manufactured defect. I believe that they are avoiding acknowledging this manufactured defect so that they do not have to do a product recall which would be expensive for them. They said that they replaced my battery to solve the issue and they did not even do that.

So I got back with customer service, but no one there has any authority and all they can do is put you through the script and suggest you send your drone in. I explained that I wanted to talk to someone who can assure me that they will get me a replacement drone asap to correct the mistake they made, and all they gave me was send it to the technicians and I will make a note you want a new drone.

So. I am done with this companies shenanigans, because this, I believe, is clear grounds for a lawsuit. They sold me a product with a manufactured defect. I sent it to them for repairs, and they did not do the repairs that they claimed to do, they did not even claim to repair the system that I indicated there was a problem in. They sent me back my drone knowingly with the exact same problem I sent it in for. They admitted there was a problem by doing "warranty repairs" on what I sent in, but those warranty repairs did not fix the problem and they were not even done.

I would like to bring legal action against DJI to stop this kind of behavior because I believe it is fradulent and negligent. Furthermore, I think DJI is doing this as calculated unethical business practice to cover up a manufacturers defect that is known to them, and that is a very serious violation of consumer law that could get them hit with serious fines.

Does anyone know anything about this and my legal grounds for a lawsuit? Does anyone know any lawyers that deal with this sort of thing?

Thanks all.
Wow Yeh my battery bit lose but no concern,,if anything it pop out if I crash,,,,Yeh go for exchange,,save the court headache for judge Judy,,,,defective ,,,this day in age the a few lemons on the shelf,,,I had one,,,luck of the draw if you get a good one,,,:)

Some just need to realize that anything made or assembled by humans can have certain characteristic flaws and or be defective. It doesn't mean it warrants a lawsuit , as that is too costly to one person, I don't even think a class action suit is attainable at this point either. Sometimes it's better to lick your wounds and carry on , as life is too short to stress over something you can't change!

Aerospace tolerances? It's not a space shuttle. If the battery stays in and it works it's within what seem to be the current manufacturing tolerances. DJI has sourced the batteries from at least two seperate suppliers in recent times. More than a good chance the dirterences noted in fit are attributed to one supplier using a different mold or process in the battery case production.

What specific laws do you believe are being violated, and what other data do you have to support wide ranging problems? Are you willing to spend large sums on a lawsuit with no guarantee of return for a $1500 drone? It's a crappy situation, but the legal system is a slow, cumbersome and expensive way to resolve things like this.

It takes very little money. Drive down to your local courthouse and file in small claims court. It's usually around $100. Hearings usually take place in 60 days. Violation if breach of contract/warranty.

In TOS I don't believe you can sue them anyway as you agree to arbitration.

Reactions: N017RW
Try calling an attorney, my bet is that IF the attorney will even consider the case the retainer will cost more than any sensible solution.

Good luck!

Tobby

Does anyone know anything about this and my legal grounds for a lawsuit? Does anyone know any lawyers that deal with this sort of thing
Unfortunately this type of discussion is not allowed on this forum (my guess is as soon as this post is read, it will be locked). I will/can say that you are certainly entitled to make us of the court system if you feel it's needed. I can say for a fact... it's been done before. There have been many times DJI has simply ignored their obligations under the warranty. Also, they also have not presented the warranty correctly in that they don't provide a hard copy upon purchase.

I have posted _many_ times that everyone should print a hard copy of the online warranty as soon as they buy their Phantom. This way you have a record of what was promised at the time and not how DJI may have changed the wording after that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers