P4 vs. P3 Comparison Thread (Title Changed)

I purchased the P3P for aerial photography, specifically still images. As a photographer, there isn't a strong compelling reason to upgrade to the P4, it's still 12 MP. DJI mentions a "sharper" lens, I would like to see what that is in real practice once the P4 is released.

Ditto, and I've just become fairly invested in the P3 system (i.e. 3 batteries, extra charger and a ThinkTank backpack, which won't fit the P4 with the higher motors). An upgrade would entail changing an entire system. I have no need for 30 minutes of flight time (but understand there are those that do). Personally, I'd rather just buy extra batteries to be able to stay in the field longer.

What would get me to seriously consider any upgrade would be less noise in low light and a bump to 16-20 MP for stills. Less compression/higher bitrate for video would be nice too.

Although the new features in the P4 look promising and are a welcome step forward, I don't have any buyer's remorse with my P3A.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Reactions: KAOS Imagery
I wonder DJI stance when someone crashes their P4 and claim the object avoidance did not pick something up and DJI say there wasn't enough light or the object wasn't directly in front. I like the idea of object avoidance but not feeling it is 100% time will tell

Reactions: Jussaguy
I have been waiting to buy my first satellite quad. I don't think this offers enough over the P3P to justify the extra price at this point. Still considering P3P, Q5004k, or wait even longer to see how people like the H once it is released.

Read a few articles, watched a couple of videos and not yet convinced it's worth spending $1400 +++ after owning my P3P for several months. I usually jump when upgrades surface however, autonomous flying to me just takes away much of the enjoyment of owning a P3. As most already know, $1400 will quickly become well over $2000 after batteries, case etc. I like the design, new gimbal set up along with many of the new features. Perhaps it's time to sit back, read all the future threads from new owners and then making an educated decision before selling my P3P and investing in DJIs newest Phantom.
While I think it's a great drone if I'm going to upgrade I'm going to get the Inspire

I have a P2 with an FPV set-up and I plan on staying with what I got.

Reactions: fly-catchers
Easy... Follow this decision map:

- Do you already own a P3? YES

- Do you have $1400 plus another $300 for accessories? YES

- Do you have a need to fly fast, say in a big clear field or over water? YES

- Do you have bad eyesight and a super tiny cell phone display for FPV and constantly run into objects at low speed? YES

- Did you like the scenes in the Matrix movie that were in slow motion? And do you have a desire to see what your Phantom sees in slow motion when falling out of the sky filming at 120 FPS? YES

- Do you have difficulty with screwing in a light bulb? Does the light bulb sometimes fall out of the ceiling for no reason? So props that connect differently would be a bonus? YES

If you answered YES to all of the above, then the Phantom 4 is the upgrade for you! :)
I guess I didn't answer all yes :) so I'll wait til Inspire is on sale

This is likely to become the P4S and we'll see features such as Lightbridge 2, 16-20mp camera with zoom etc on the Advanced or Pro Model likely to follow by summer. Don't get "sucked in" just yet. Give it time to settle before opening your wallet.

Reactions: Pishi3G
While I think it's a great drone if I'm going to upgrade I'm going to get the Inspire

I'm thinking the same. It's starting to look like the pilot's drone. More speed, no newbie gimmicks, no worries of stress cracking, but best of all, it does not look like a phantom 4 pillow . DJI, even treats it like Porsche does their cars and Mooney their aircraft. They refine it instead of having us throw away chargers and batteries every year.

I wonder if the forward object avoidance can be adjusted for wind tower inspections? I doubt it.

Just seen this. Does not seem a fair exchange rate from $ to £[emoji35]
Phantom 4
GBP £1229FREE SHIPPING
Well at least free shipping

Does it work with Litchi? If not, I'm not even close to being interested.

Release an Inspire 2 with the m43 sensor and 28 minutes flight time for under $4K and I may bite. But the new P4 with merely 3 additional minutes, "obstacle avoidance", and geofencing for $1400? No thank you!

Reactions: pomonabill220
Personally, I don't see the need... the need for speed. Since when are any of the Phantoms "racing drones"? Getting from point A to point B would probably use more battery power at 50mph then at some slower speed.

Obstacle avoidance... great feature. It certainly could be useful. However, for $1400+... I'll wait to see if I crash my P3 and then consider buying a P4. If I don't crash the P3... I have $1400+ left in my pocket.

Following mode... already possible with the P3 with somewhat limited success. I'm sure the P4 will do this very well. However, I don't see much need for follow me mode. It sounds like fun and then you try it once. After that, not good real world application.

Truth is, the P3 with the Litchi app offers very good smooth videos.

My bottom line... for someone buying a new Phantom the P4 is something to consider. However, with DJI lowering the price of the P3A an P3P, it's somewhat if a tough sell. If you have an extra $400 that you don't really need, go with the P4. For those who already own a P3... I can't see jumping to the P4 unless you have $1400+ and nothing to do with it.

I think the Typhoon H is also a tough sell against the P4. The H is $1700, $400 more. While it does have raising legs and 360 degree camera, it lacks the distance that the P4 has. At least to me, this is a big limitation.

Reactions: EddieG
I too would have liked to see more standard options available in the P4 that I get with the use of the Autopilot App (Follow, Orbit, Target, Zip Line, Waypoint, Cruise, Mimic & Intercept) on my P3P. I think if I'm going to spend the money, I would be better to add OSMO and Inspire 1 Pro. I feel that flight quality and camera control is far greater than what it cost. It's important to have the best tools in your Aerial Videography & HDR Photography toolbox. I think my next purchase will have to be the Inspire 1 Pro.

You are deluded if you think you are going to get 28min flight time flying out in sport mode at 45mph. I await practical tests but I can almost guarantee flying in sport mode will eat flight time like an alligator in a chicken coop.

I had hoped for an optical zoom, 16mp or more sensor, stock lens hood, variable aperture, and far better flight time. 4 min longer is not a significant improvement IMHO. Same camera. Same lens as far as zoom, fixed aperture and fov goes.

In all reality this is a p3 with a few add-ons that may or may not be worth the price to many. Its $800 more than the current p3p and double the current p3a and I do not see the value of that price increase.

You left out the native support for video FPV range, without any mods, at up to 5km (up from 3km) and a 45mph speed to get there, substantially increasing the capture time at remote locations when combined with the 28 minute flight time. I'm sold!

Reactions: EddieG and TonG
From a photographic standpoint of view: not worth the upgrade from a P3P. The camera is the same with the same mediocre sensor.

Maybe the gimbal might be better so it is more suited for really long exposure times and that you get a straight horizon in the default settings.
Time will tell.

Just buy it on Amex or any other CC that provides accidental damage for 90 days. Many are likely to have a mishap within the first 3 months of ownership and the $1000 in accidental damage protection that's thrown in by many credit cards, will certainly come in handy.
Check the policy. All aircraft are excluded, as is any manufacturing defect.

You are deluded if you think you are going to get 28min flight time flying out in sport mode at 45mph. I await practical tests but I can almost guarantee flying in sport mode will eat flight time like an alligator in a chicken coop.

I had hoped for an optical zoom, 16mp or more sensor, stock lens hood, variable aperture, and far better flight time. 4 min longer is not a significant improvement IMHO. Same camera. Same lens as far as zoom, fixed aperture and fov goes.

In all reality this is a p3 with a few add-ons that may or may not be worth the price to many. Its $800 more than the current p3p and double the current p3a and I do not see the value of that price increase.
Indeed. However, it will reduce the flying time by 33% while flying into the sun at sunset to reach the beach, and with the current P3P price of $999, it's only $400 more at $1,399, with all state sales tax already included, plus free shipping! That drops the price differential over a P3P with sales tax to $275. Camera is also improved in several ways, reducing chromatic aberration and edge sharpness and distortion, and gaining 120fps in 1080p with a digital zoom.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl