P4 vs. P3 Comparison Thread (Title Changed)

So this comparison is very interesting.
7 Days With The Phantom 4: Day 3

I'm not hatin' on the P4, but there were 3 things for me that differentiated the P3P and P4: (a) Obstacle avoidance, (b) Subject tracking, (c) Battery life. People have pointed out good apps that let you do subject tracking with a P3, and no the real-world battery comparisons leave me glad I didn't decide on a p4 for that! I would've been sorely disappointed. 5 minutes I'd be happy with but 1-min real-world difference is very meh.

Josh

For what it is worth here are my thoughts as I have both a P3P and a P4.

Camera
  • About the same, but I do think the color is more natural looking on the P4 (color saturation lower)
  • Has a better lens but I cannot tell the difference (not a professional photographer)
Gimbal Performance
  • About the same as DJI always has great gimbals
  • I was actually dubious about the integrated gimbal being too stiff but it performs very well (no vibrations that I can see)
Fit and Finish
  • P4 feels more solid and the fit and finish is great
  • The plastic does seem to be thicker which of course does add weight (I think they were addressing the motor mount crack issue)
  • I like the looks better of the P4 when you have it in your hands but that is a personal preference
Stability in the air as an AP platform
  • Hands down more stable in the air than my P3P
  • Much easier to get smooth pans (of course I am sure there will be arguments about changing PID settings which I have already done on my P3P)
Flight Characteristics
  • I always felt the P3P to be a little choppy in flight as compared to my other quads and a hexa that I have. The P4 handles smoother in the air which I like for taking videos
  • The P4 is just rock solid when stationary in P mode, even as compared to P3P which is also good at this
  • Also sport mode is fun if you are into that
Obstacle Avoidance/Active Track
  • OA is not a necessary feature if you are a more experienced pilot but this feature is an insurance policy in my mind for emergency RTH (granted you can always adjust RTH height)
  • Have not played around with active track yet
Overall I am very happy with my purchase but I understand why others will be holding off on upgrading from the P3 series (I still have my P3P). However, if this is your first higher end multi-rotor, you can't go wrong with P4 IMHO. Of course early adopters always pay the price :)

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik