P4 vs. P3 Comparison Thread (Title Changed)

Reaction score
Read a few articles, watched a couple of videos and not yet convinced it's worth spending $1400 +++ after owning my P3P for several months. I usually jump when upgrades surface however, autonomous flying to me just takes away much of the enjoyment of owning a P3. As most already know, $1400 will quickly become well over $2000 after batteries, case etc. I like the design, new gimbal set up along with many of the new features. Perhaps it's time to sit back, read all the future threads from new owners and then making an educated decision before selling my P3P and investing in DJIs newest Phantom.

I'm with you kinda takes all the fun out of flying plus wait till xmas will be a lot cheaper and the bugs will be worked out by then thought would of had better battery time 28 min ugh 40 would of made me want it

Yea, and by Christmas the flying season is over, u less you live in California

yeah all this obstacle avoidance feature is destined to be rigged with bugs. I'm actually really impressed with the 1080p 120fps. Thats a huge ++ that should have been easily a firmware update for the P3P. Now being able to shoot slow mo up in the air is an awesome plus. Not to mention the 45 mph speeds will be nice. However, not worth the hassle of trying to sell my P3P and purchasing the Phantom 4. After what I saw DJI did in just a few month last year. All this Phantom 3 advance, pro, standard, 4k, 2k, light bridge and wifi options at prices as little as $400. Phantom 4 definitely is going to have changes and adjustments over time. I also want to know what features are not going to be available right away. It took DJI almost 6 months to update the POI, waypoints and follow me mode on the P3. Even though they promised those feature at launch.

I like how the props go on but get a nice little wind breeze my p3s will hit 50

Easy... Follow this decision map:

- Do you already own a P3? YES

- Do you have $1400 plus another $300 for accessories? YES

- Do you have a need to fly fast, say in a big clear field or over water? YES

- Do you have bad eyesight and a super tiny cell phone display for FPV and constantly run into objects at low speed? YES

- Did you like the scenes in the Matrix movie that were in slow motion? And do you have a desire to see what your Phantom sees in slow motion when falling out of the sky filming at 120 FPS? YES

- Do you have difficulty with screwing in a light bulb? Does the light bulb sometimes fall out of the ceiling for no reason? So props that connect differently would be a bonus? YES

If you answered YES to all of the above, then the Phantom 4 is the upgrade for you! :)

I don't see huge improvements in camera. I have had my P3P for 3 months and I love it. That is all I need, a better camera...so till they don't really upgrade the camera, I will stay with P3P. The other con is that we can not use our P3 batteries...I understand if they doubled the time...but they just added some minutes.

Reactions: Jack1926
3 min wow that's all they could come up with my next one is a p3a then a poweregg

I am already forcing myself to not pre-order. It's not easy.

One thing I am curious about is if we can use our P3 RCs. I know that the P4 RC is slightly different with the new normal/sport mode toggle and the pause button, but I am wondering if those options could also be activated in the app while using the P3 RC with the P4. If so, that could offset some of the cost, especially with P4 batteries being $169 US.

I don't see any offer of the P4 only without RC, but maybe later.

Oh no, there's the pre-order button. Stay back. Back. Press it. No, stay back!

Reactions: sonof40
yes no maybe who will be first to work out the problems wont be me

Now the big question, if one of us happens to crash or lose our current P3, do we run out and buy the "new" P4 or take advantage of the best pricing to date on the P3P and keep using all the accessories and batteries we currently own? I'm on the fence with this, although a P3P can be purchased for around $900 or so, spending $1400 for the P4 is just the beginning, we all know what I'm referring too. I know we can sell all the P3 stuff however, the difference is $$$ is still quite large. I still say wait until "bugs" are worked out. This hefty P4 appears to strong enough to avoid the dreaded cracking issues many of you experienced.

Reactions: Jack1926
Seems like DJI is already taking a huge hit of no sales. Of course there are people with unlimited money to buy right away. There are also people who never even owned a quadcopter who will buy. But, for the P3 owners it seems like we no better to sit back and wait.

I like how the props go on but get a nice little wind breeze my p3s will hit 50

That probably explains why those that have just snug tightened the props have been losing them. DJI wants to give those that crashed because of the prop flying off a reason to buy the P4.

I agree with most others, I was expecting much better ergonomics to be found in the P4. With the P3 currently $999 w/free extra battery I will stick with a P3 for now. P4 is $1,399.

- 28 min of flight
- faster then p3p
- little bit better camera
- obstacle avoidance
- autonomus fliying
I've expected little more. There's no big difference between P3P/A and P4.

Well, already conflicts in data. One part says "approximately 26min" which means less than 26. Another part says "over 28" with GPS turned off.

From what I can tell, the camera is no different. Lens they say is better. How much is open for debate. Same sensor that I can tell, same 12mp.

That leaves:
- faster then p3p
- obstacle avoidance
- autonomous flying

IMHO, if you already have a P3P, then the P4 is a waste of money and a non-starter.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik