Do any P4 owners regret selling their P3?

I have a P3A and just got a P4 yesterday. I haven't flown the P4 but the build quality is hands down alot better then the P3. You have to see and hold it in person. I sold my Inspire set up and I didn't sell it to get the P4 but the day it sold I went and bought the P4

The only big plus for me is the stated redundancy of the P4. I'm bit disappointed hearing about the reduced range. I have heard some getting the advertised flight time though. I read there is an algorithm that calculates distance, height, speed to determine if you have enough power to get back home. Do you think that's what's reducing flight time?

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

I took it in the shorts when i sold my p3pro and took a 1000.00 loss. I shoot farm properties in eastern Colorado and was grounding my p3 due to winds. The inspire stepped in and got the job done. My new p4 seems much heavier and built more solid than the p3p and hopefully does better in the wind. Waiting for the snow to melt so I can do a side by side hover test with the P4 and inspire1. The p3 is a great ship, but every new ship that dji comes out with gets better and better.

I read of the many members selling their P3s when the P4 was introduced in the beginning of March. Now that many of you have both received and flown your maiden voyage, are there any that wish they hadn't parted with their P3? Although I've been surprised and a bit disappointed not seeing thread after thread of members "raving" about their P4, it's becoming more apparent that many of the features that most were very excited have yet to meet expectations. I know it's still early, but there's enough people on this forum having received theirs already, including a few that picked theirs up from Apple nearly a week before official release. Only from reading through this forum, it's becoming clear that overall range for the P4 has been reported by many to be far less than their previous P3. Battery life hasn't been even close to the 28 min DJI had adveritised in fact, several members have reported under 18 minutes with mixed usage. I know there's many factors with batteries however, some of the times reported by members have been unacceptable. The one other issue which made many "flock" to the new P4 was obstacle avoidance. Is it true one using OA is limited to speeds of approximately 22mph?
At some point, I'm likely to shift over to the P4 from my current P3P. I'm usually the first to jump at "new" technology. I didn't this time around since I've only had my P3 since late November, have invested more than a few $$$ in accessories like so many of us do and most importantly, I love the darn thing. Should I decide to go with the P4, I certainly will live with it for a while first before selling my P3, ensuring it delivers exactly what I expect and having no disappointment on the decision made to purchase it.
I like my P3A because of the fact that it will fly LITCHI waypoint missions. My original P3A is in the bottom of the Intercoastal due to an overly heavy battery modification. (Note to Battery Moders: Don't get greedy and keep upping battery weight because gains diminish with weight...just like an overloaded airplane.) I liked the P3A so much that I ordered a new P3 and pre-ordered my P4 on the very same day. I was mainly interested in extra flight time...which I now read from early reports is no where close to 28 minutes. Remarkably, even though my P4 arrived a several days ago, I have not flown it yet....primarily because LITCHI does not yet support it. I am also watching for any early "gotcha's" that might be reported by the bold new crop of P4 enthusiasts. All of my flying this time of year is over water and vast marshlands....if I have a glitch or forced landing its probably going to be in 20-100ft of salt water. I am hoping the land lubbers find and report any buggy behaviours in the P4 and that I might benefit from that before my first flight.

The P4 is everything the P3P is and so much more! The TapFly and other features are crazy!

You tap yourself and it flies right behind you... And floors your every movement!

Truly the P4 is everything the P3 was and much more. Why would you get the P3P? Plus the P4 quality is night and day.... The P4 is strong, WAY STRONGER... The P3 is weak and flimsy!

Reactions: liketogethigh
P4 is a total ripoff and a total waste.

The reduced output power on both Tx and Rx sides is unacceptable and borders on criminal fraud. The 28 min. flight time is also fraud and needs to be criminally prosecuted. DJI is foisting over-priced junk on the public and all the Apple Fan Boys are lining up.

Reactions: GadgetGuy
That too is all I care about.
But what does that mean?

"Far sharper" can simply be a setting in the JPEG engine. Are you getting any additional real detail? Think carefully before you answer, this is a difficult question to accurately ascertain. Look up the concepts of accutance and contrast.

And what is 'stable video'?

Reactions: aenbacka
The P4 is everything the P3P is and so much more! The TapFly and other features are crazy!

You tap yourself and it flies right behind you... And floors your every movement!

Truly the P4 is everything the P3 was and much more. Why would you get the P3P? Plus the P4 quality is night and day.... The P4 is strong, WAY STRONGER... The P3 is weak and flimsy!

So you bought an expensive selfie machine. Cool. And 'slightly better plastic and more compact design' isn't quite what I call 'night and day' - but as long as you are happy.

So you bought an expensive selfie machine. Cool. And 'slightly better plastic and more compact design' isn't quite what I call 'night and day' - but as long as you are happy.

Says all the peeps that can't afford one! lol. Yes I'm a guy that likes the best, newest etc.

The new features are awesome... Being able to follow a subject without any input is awesome. Being able to lock on a target and have the Phantom follow it or stay locked on it (like Litchi) is awesome... The flight time is definitely MORE than the P4, and the people that say otherwise are jamming around in Sport mode, and surprised the battery went fast.... Same is true of a car, and gas mileage.

When you feel how quality the P4 is you'll see... It feels solid as a rock.

But hey if you don't have the money, or the desire, then it's up to you. Why get on here and run your mouth about something that's a personal choice?

Reactions: SCGENE and Jbundy63
But what does that mean?

"Far sharper" can simply be a setting in the JPEG engine. Are you getting any additional real detail? Think carefully before you answer, this is a difficult question to accurately ascertain. Look up the concepts of accutance and contrast.

And what is 'stable video'?
I am looking at the RAW unsharpened DNG files. DJI changed the optics in the lens and I have noticed an overall improvement in the picture sharpness prior to converting to a Jpeg file. As for the stability I have noticed how rock steady it was in high winds compared to my P3P.
I did not need to think that carefully, as a professional photographer of 25 years standing my eyes tell me all I need to know!

Last edited:
The subject of this thread is "Do any P4 owners regret selling their P3", yet many responses are from P3 owners who

Wow, a lot of jealous P4 haters on this thread. If you don't own a P4 , or don't want one, why are you posting in this P4 forum ?
Go back to the P3 forum, and help out the many thousands of P3 owners who still have unresolved problems, a year after the P3 was released.
You are certainly entitled to your opinion, but that does not mean that anyone gives a sh*& about what you think.

I'm just a hobbyist and for fun type of guy. But I also have this sickness for wanting to have the new tech and that's the problem. Do I need all the new capabilities of the P4 (nope). Is it worth paying and extra 400 to 600 (p3p to p4) nope. If I did not have the extra money I would probably not do it but I do and It is fun so it's okay.

Reactions: Phantomfreak
If you haven't sold your P3 and bought a P4 and aren't seriously considering doing so, there's no need to post here.

The title of this thread is Do any P4 Owners regret selling their P3's

I have sold my P3P

I have purchased a P4 on March 1st, and received it on March 16th

No I have no regrets

P4 is a total ripoff and a total waste.

The reduced output power on both Tx and Rx sides is unacceptable and borders on criminal fraud. The 28 min. flight time is also fraud and needs to be criminally prosecuted. DJI is foisting over-priced junk on the public and all the Apple Fan Boys are lining up.

Man, you sound bitter. What does Apple or people who like Apple have to do with the P4 product? If you don't like Apple, don't buy Apple. It always amazes me that people seem to feel the need to trash Apple. It's America, you have a choice. And, people who buy Apple buy it for their own reasons. It's their choice dude, respect it.

Reactions: Myetkt
I have both the P3P and P4 and personally I think their both awesome machines to have. They have both meant my expectations and more!

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adrie