New Dominator V3 Goggles vs HeadPlay Mini Review

Reaction score
I received my set of the newly released Fat Shark Dominator V3 goggles today. These goggles are being positioned as optimized for use with the DJI I1 and P3 quad-copters (I don't use "the D word") with a 16:9 aspect ratio and native HDMI input. An HDMI cable is included with the goggles as is carrying case.

The most striking difference the Dom V3's and the HP is, of course, the form factor. I hasten to add that though the HP are much bigger / bulkier I experience no great sensation of either bulk ot weight when wearing them.

The Dom V3's use the form factor many of us have come to know and really like. The new V3's now include an integrated fan / face plate that was an option on the earlier Dom V2. Also new is a much higher capacity battery (1800mAh) with an external remaining capacity display. I'm pretty sure you can fly all day with this battery.

So, form factor and battery aside how do these compare visually?

My answer is: Very differently !!

The visual image size of the Dom is much smaller and feels like I'm looking at a smaller visual display a few inches away from my eyes. By comparison, the HP are nearly overwhelming in their visual size. It took me about 10 flights to become comfortable with the HP experience. In addition, I wear reading glasses and the HP's eye relief was just at the limit of my comfort range. I also found I needed to look around the image frame to see the OSD information shown at the bottom of the frame.

The Dom V3's offer me better eye relief and their IPD adjustment works perfectly for my wide set eyes. The OSD information is easier to see because the visual image is "smaller". The Dom's also have optional diopter lenses available which may be a help to some pilots.

The Dom's have a lot going for them..standard goggle form factor, high capacity battery, IPD adjustment and integrated face-plate fan. No VRx is included with the Dom V3.

The HP's offer a "WOW that's incredible" visual image that is nearly overpowering the first time you fly with them. The visual detail is outstanding and the FOV is huge !! My first impression looking through my new Dom V3's today was "boy, that's a small picture.." The HP battery capacity will just get me through 4 P3P batteries. The HP's do include a 32 channel 5.8GHz VRx built in.

The Dom's are selling from US vendors for about $350. The HP's are $275. Both will have constrained supply for the next few months.

Do I have a recommendation ? If portability is a primary decision criteria it's hard to argue against the Dom's. After flying with the HP's I'll need to see if I want to "go back" to the less immersive Dom's.

I guess I'm glad I have both. ;)

:harry

Attachments

• L1060565.JPG
    L1060565.JPG
    4.7 MB · Views: 1,929
  • L1060566.JPG
    L1060566.JPG
    4.8 MB · Views: 1,960
  • L1060567.JPG
    L1060567.JPG
    4.7 MB · Views: 1,362
  • L1060568.JPG
    L1060568.JPG
    4.8 MB · Views: 1,015
Reactions: mirrorimage
Thanks for the great review, I was anxiously awaiting. So can the headplay one pick up the channels without needing to be HDMI tethered.

No, unfortunately both the Dom's and the HP's require an HDMI cable connection to the P3 controller.

The HP's ship with a "traditional" 5.8GHz Vrx embedded in the head set so you can just add an antenna and use them for more traditional FPV flying. Also, the HP's allow you to change the aspect ratio to either 4:3 or 16:9. The Dom V'3 are set at 16:9 to support the DJI video format. You can purchase a VRx for the Dom's for an additional $30 or so.

Great review! Quick question... you said you wear reading glasses. I have to wear near sighted glasses (-7) ...do the dominators come with lenses? Could I wear regular glasses with the HP's? Thx

Thanks for an interesting post. I think I would feel a complete fool wearing the HeadPlay - they aren't exactly unobtrusive!!

No disagreement on the dork factor, but if you have a chance to try them they'll blow you away with the image size and clarity.

:h

Reactions: swoopair
Man I am so jealous I have a set of V3s on order for FPV mini quad racing.

Great review! Quick question... you said you wear reading glasses. I have to wear near sighted glasses (-7) ...do the dominators come with lenses? Could I wear regular glasses with the HP's? Thx

I wear aprox. +2 reading glasses and my eye relief is fine with the Dom's.

Some pilots are fitting generic reader glasses inside the HeadPlays with good success.

Here's a link for the optional lenses for the Dom's, hope this helps:

the Diopter Sets for Fat Shark Goggles

Reactions: Bret Lucas
Hey guys, can someone help me here?
When I connect the phantom 3 controller to the goggles via HDMI cable, I do not get a picture. How do you change the video format on the goggles to connect with the controller?

When I connect the phantom 3 controller to the goggles via HDMI cable, I do not get a picture. How do you change the video format on the goggles to connect with the controller?

Reboot!

Be sure that you have selected an external video source.

Do this by moving the small slide switch on the underside of the goggles (it's marked "RX")
to the "0" position - toward the HDMI input.

Push the "Display Control" toggle on the top left of your V3's to select HDMI 2D.

Excuse my ignorance but if you are wearing the goggles how do you control on screen stuff like the camera or POIs etc etc - basically anything that involves tapping or swiping the screen?

Excuse my ignorance but if you are wearing the goggles how do you control on screen stuff like the camera or POIs etc etc - basically anything that involves tapping or swiping the screen?

You are correct. You've got to remove the goggles to see your device if you need to issue a command that requires contact with the device.

Goggles are a great help if you are flying FPV and want an immersive video image, especially one without glare.

IF only there was a good phone or tablet you could see properly in direct sunlight then I wouldn't want goggles but as all the screen are useless outdoors then I think I will have to get some goggles.

The "Display Control" toggle on the top left of the V3's to select HDMI 2D doesn't do anything when I press it.

IF only there was a good phone or tablet you could see properly in direct sunlight then I wouldn't want goggles but as all the screen are useless outdoors then I think I will have to get some goggles.
Goggles are a treat.

Even a small FOV display can be quite unnerving at first. I launch and land without them, but I love the experience flying with them! The HeadPlays would make me claustrophobic! The new FatSharks look very promising.

Being able to clearly see the full App. display is important as well. I don't think you get that with the HDMI output board. Screen mirror on Cinemizers is what I'm using on P3 (Shield), or a cable/adaptor setup on P2V+ (iPad mini or IPhone 5S.

The "Display Control" toggle on the top left of the V3's to select HDMI 2D doesn't do anything when I press it.

Check all connections and that your RX switch is set to "0".

Do you see the video mode change in the upper left hand corner (bright blue box) of the visual display when you push the display control toggle ?

Do you have the dual display option turned on in the GO app ?

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic