P4 vs. P3 Comparison Thread (Title Changed)

Something inside of me just itches and tells me the Phantom 3 Pro could be hacked and allowed to shoot in 120 fps 1080. When the GoPro Hero 4 black came out. It didn't have many of the features it has now. Including 720p at 240. A simple firmware update a few months later allowed it to shoot with many different options. I can only imagine the same is true for the P3 cameras. Also the P3 advance received an update that allowed it to shoot in 2k which really wasn't a fair update for those who purchased the P3P.
Well, even after the software update, the P3A could shoot up to 2.7k video, but the hardware isn't good enough to support it since it made the video downlink choppy. Wouldn't want the same thing happening again

have the cash but going to wait buy a poweregg first then maybe the 4

- 28 min of flight
- faster then p3p
- little bit better camera
- obstacle avoidance
- autonomus fliying
I've expected little more. There's no big difference between P3P/A and P4.
You left out the native support for video FPV range, without any mods, at up to 5km (up from 3km) and a 45mph speed to get there, substantially increasing the capture time at remote locations when combined with the 28 minute flight time. I'm sold!

Last edited:
Reactions: dtviewer
I agree with most that it's not a must have upgrade. For me the collision avoidance, although helpful, is merely a marketing tool for DJI. I fly mostly FPV so if I see a tree, or a building, I turn or stop like everyone else.

It's when I'm following a moving object sideways, like a train, boat or somebody on a motorbike, forward facing collision avoidance is useless to me. Just my opinion.

Reactions: sonof40
On the fence here the Yuneec Typhoon H is looking really good with built in video monitor in the controller and obstacle avoidance also. I got to see this firsthand at this years CES and was impressed by the Hexacopter design, retractable landing gear and 360 deg rotating 4K camera .. decisions ... decisions..

You left out the native support for video FPV range, without any mods, at up to 5km (up from 3km) and a 42mph speed to get there, substantially increasing the capture time at remote locations when combined with the 28 minute flight time. I'm sold!
Thats actually the part that attracts me. As I understand, the P3A and P3P both already get 5km range. Flight time is also only 5 minutes more than P3's. What I really wonder is if well get the speed increase on the P3 via software update given that the speeds are electronically limited. This would be a my first drone purchase. Im confident with my flying skills so the obstacle avoidance isn't a big deal to me. Would you recommend purchasing the Phantom 4, or take advantage of the great prices on the Phantom 3?

yes no maybe who will be first to work out the problems wont be me
Me either! I'm going to fly my P3P more often when the weather breaks, and through the summer of 2016. Then maybe the bugs, or reliability will be known regarding the P4. I bet it's improved but let's see for sure.

Last edited:
I purchased the P3P for aerial photography, specifically still images. As a photographer, there isn't a strong compelling reason to upgrade to the P4, it's still 12 MP. DJI mentions a "sharper" lens, I would like to see what that is in real practice once the P4 is released.

Reactions: RayH and byrne68
phantom 3

Thats actually the part that attracts me. As I understand, the P3A and P3P both already get 5km range. Flight time is also only 5 minutes more than P3's. What I really wonder is if well get the speed increase on the P3 via software update given that the speeds are electronically limited. This would be a my first drone purchase. Im confident with my flying skills so the obstacle avoidance isn't a big deal to me. Would you recommend purchasing the Phantom 4, or take advantage of the great prices on the Phantom 3?
Take the great prices now. Let the P4 mature, then buy it at a hopefully lower price also.

Reactions: mishal33
As someone noticed - obstacle avoidance works only if you're flying forward. But if you look at the fpv you can avoid obstacles by yourself, right? :) But if you're making nice shot flying backwards or sideways you can smash it like old p3. Am I right?

I'd get one of each, so whenever your P4 is being repaired under warranty for early bugs, you are still flying. My three P3P's should handle that downtime nicely! The P4 will be the Ferrari, while the P3's will be for commuting! The $1,399 price includes free shipping and all state sales tax is already included!

Reactions: dirtybum
Would it be possible for Litchi, AutoPilot, etc. To add object tracking themselves for the P3P/A? I know it would likely be their own solution, and would lake obstacle avoidance, but that I would pay good money for in an app or in app purchase.

You can get DJI Care with it. - you don't have to buy the gimble savers etc now...

"DJI Care is a service plan that covers damage to DJI aircraft, gimbals or cameras sustained through normal use."

Just buy it on Amex or any other CC that provides accidental damage for 90 days. Many are likely to have a mishap within the first 3 months of ownership and the $1000 in accidental damage protection that's thrown in by many credit cards, will certainly come in handy.

Just purchased my 2nd P3A a few weeks ago. I'm still fine with it (besides the low quality photo images)... Hoping the P4 would've had a larger camera sensor. My next purchase is probably an Inspire Pro. Might be interested in a P4 later this year. Who know? ...

I purchased the P3P for aerial photography, specifically still images. As a photographer, there isn't a strong compelling reason to upgrade to the P4, it's still 12 MP. DJI mentions a "sharper" lens, I would like to see what that is in real practice once the P4 is released.
I don't see a reason to upgrade without an improved CMOS. I don't want to spend 4k on a m4/3 Inspire but I think with the new action cams coming out this year from nikon and a new gopro that DJI might have spent some R&D on improving the camera.

Reactions: RayH and byrne68

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dragonslair