New Dominator V3 Goggles vs HeadPlay Mini Review

Headplays come with 2 fresnel lenses, right? Did you try both or just the wider/default one?

Headplays come with 2 fresnel lenses, right? Did you try both or just the wider/default one?
I experimented with both lenses and found the original lens gave em much better eye relief.

Is there any latency on the doms, I watched a YouTube review on them which appeared very jerky but they were using a bebop quad. Was hoping they would be butter smooth with the p3.

Excuse my ignorance but if you are wearing the goggles how do you control on screen stuff like the camera or POIs etc etc - basically anything that involves tapping or swiping the screen?
just raise the goggles a bit with your fingers and do the adjustmensts on the screen. Normalle you should adjust everything before the flight and the P3 remote controller has hardware buttons as well for start stop record etc..

Hey @dedstik, so over 6 months later, what are your thoughts? Still liking the Headplays?

I was very, very close to getting a Dom v3 with a Vrx on eBay today.. Sold for $311 which is a steal but I'm really wanting to spend in the $200 range. HP still seems like the best alternative especially if I'm wanting to hook FPV up to both a racer drone (with Vrx) and a P3P (with HDMI).

But anyway, interested if you're still loving the Headplay after a bit of time has passed.

Josh

I received my set of the newly released Fat Shark Dominator V3 goggles today. These goggles are being positioned as optimized for use with the DJI I1 and P3 quad-copters (I don't use "the D word") with a 16:9 aspect ratio and native HDMI input. An HDMI cable is included with the goggles as is carrying case.

The most striking difference the Dom V3's and the HP is, of course, the form factor. I hasten to add that though the HP are much bigger / bulkier I experience no great sensation of either bulk ot weight when wearing them.

The Dom V3's use the form factor many of us have come to know and really like. The new V3's now include an integrated fan / face plate that was an option on the earlier Dom V2. Also new is a much higher capacity battery (1800mAh) with an external remaining capacity display. I'm pretty sure you can fly all day with this battery.

So, form factor and battery aside how do these compare visually?

My answer is: Very differently !!

The visual image size of the Dom is much smaller and feels like I'm looking at a smaller visual display a few inches away from my eyes. By comparison, the HP are nearly overwhelming in their visual size. It took me about 10 flights to become comfortable with the HP experience. In addition, I wear reading glasses and the HP's eye relief was just at the limit of my comfort range. I also found I needed to look around the image frame to see the OSD information shown at the bottom of the frame.

The Dom V3's offer me better eye relief and their IPD adjustment works perfectly for my wide set eyes. The OSD information is easier to see because the visual image is "smaller". The Dom's also have optional diopter lenses available which may be a help to some pilots.

The Dom's have a lot going for them..standard goggle form factor, high capacity battery, IPD adjustment and integrated face-plate fan. No VRx is included with the Dom V3.

The HP's offer a "WOW that's incredible" visual image that is nearly overpowering the first time you fly with them. The visual detail is outstanding and the FOV is huge !! My first impression looking through my new Dom V3's today was "boy, that's a small picture.." The HP battery capacity will just get me through 4 P3P batteries. The HP's do include a 32 channel 5.8GHz VRx built in.

The Dom's are selling from US vendors for about $350. The HP's are $275. Both will have constrained supply for the next few months.

Do I have a recommendation ? If portability is a primary decision criteria it's hard to argue against the Dom's. After flying with the HP's I'll need to see if I want to "go back" to the less immersive Dom's.

I guess I'm glad I have both. ;)

:harry
Thanks for this review Harry I have been contemplating a purchase as well, the HP sounds so nice and the only drawback is that nagging dork factor. I would be interested in knowing which set you ultimately use as your favorite once the new toy factor wears off. Keep us updated thanks!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers