P4 vs. P3 Comparison Thread (Title Changed)

Looking at the Phantom 4, I think the biggest advantage is the Obstacle Avoidance feature. I firmly believe this feature alone is going to greatly reduce the number of crashes while flying forward, even when the pilot has full view of the Phantom. Distances are very hard to judge both directly and through the FPV device, and this feature is going to be an awesome tool to help avoid crashes. Not 100% fool proof of course, but a huge step in prevention. I love the idea, and if a person wants to fly without the avoidance feature, just flip the switch. Of course its a huge step forward for us pilots and a lot more money, but if it prevents a crash, you'll be way ahead.

This is like cell phones......evolutionary vs revolutionary. If you have a P3P or similar keep your quad and fly with pride. If you need another one or are a first timer then I'd spring for the extra coin and get the newest one. And don't hold your breath for anything close to 28 min. No way, just as the P3p gets no where near its max claim. 22 min. TOPS flight time and unless you reinvent physics, if you start flying at the "claimed" 45mph you will burn through that battery in no time.

There's no way I'm investing that kind of money again in DJI quads after seeing some of the issues with them bending over to the U.S. government. Software is whats going to help me decide if I'm ever going to buy a new quad after owning my P3P. The other manufacturers don't even come close to DJI with these features and at this price point, and DJI is looking to Geo Fence their way out of business, so it looks like a new drone is not in the near future for me.

Last edited:
Read a few articles, watched a couple of videos and not yet convinced it's worth spending $1400 +++ after owning my P3P for several months. I usually jump when upgrades surface however, autonomous flying to me just takes away much of the enjoyment of owning a P3. As most already know, $1400 will quickly become well over $2000 after batteries, case etc. I like the design, new gimbal set up along with many of the new features. Perhaps it's time to sit back, read all the future threads from new owners and then making an educated decision before selling my P3P and investing in DJIs newest Phantom.
Guys and girls I've jump through the hoops with dji starting off with the Phantom 2 vision plus to the Inspire 1 and the Phantom 3 Professional. I still own the inspire one and the Phantom 3 and love them both. The new programs and tricks on the Phantom 4 sound good but for me will take off that edge in need to keeps me safe and crash free in the air. I think that dji is on the right track for the newbie who will gather his own skills based on this new technology. They have added speed to this new drone and speed kills if you know what I mean. You're going to read about the crashes. Maybe I'll change my mind but I don't think so.

It's likely OA is nothing more to the P4 than Siri was when first introduced to the iPhone. A whole bunch of excitement when first announced followed by considerable disappointment and criticism. It'll take years before this technology is perfected, providing the user with a complete feeling of protection in avoiding obstacles. It's a great start for DJI however, it will be interesting to see how quickly they expand upon it.

Read a few articles, watched a couple of videos and not yet convinced it's worth spending $1400 +++ after owning my P3P for several months. I usually jump when upgrades surface however, autonomous flying to me just takes away much of the enjoyment of owning a P3. As most already know, $1400 will quickly become well over $2000 after batteries, case etc. I like the design, new gimbal set up along with many of the new features. Perhaps it's time to sit back, read all the future threads from new owners and then making an educated decision before selling my P3P and investing in DJIs newest Phantom.
sounds like buyer's remorse (of P3) than educated buyer assestment of the product (P4).

If I'm in the market buying a drone for AP, I would buy a P4. If I'm just started noticing the drone, I would buy a P3S for experimenting.

Reactions: GoodnNuff
You have it right wait and see what the early owners say and then make a much better decision about upgrading I have the P3 also and as a former Airline Pilot for Northwest Airlines I echo some of your remarks in your post.

ebay yesterday was 799 p3p

Sounds like a lot of writers are trying to rationalize in order to feel better about their decision not to buy a Phantom 4. Sure, "lots of bugs,, obstacle avoidance takes all the fun out flying,,, why didnt they make the battery even bigger,,, just wait a few months and the prices will drop",,, (which has never happened in the past),,,,,,, hope these all help. I cant wait to fly my P4 when it comes,, i already owned the P3, P2, but this one is even better. Each version has always been better, why doubt the P4 would be any different?

Reactions: XJoeyX
- 28 min of flight
- faster then p3p
- little bit better camera
- obstacle avoidance
- autonomus fliying
I've expected little more. There's no big difference between P3P/A and P4.
It's actually slower than a P3, unless it's in "sport" mode, according to hands on reports.

Collision avoidances on drones is like ABS & traction control few years ago on cars. Challenged now industry standard .

This thread reminds me of the Porsche & Corvette forum. Every time a new one comes out the conservative party disapproves

Just embrace change & progress.

Reactions: AUSPETE and XJoeyX
I like my P3A but if I were to upgrade I would research other company's machines. For the price range of a P4, I seen some comparisons of quads and hexs that gave me food for thought.
DJI is only one of many companies.

Agreed, but even for the beginer, how good will the system be, you just know its not going to detect, single branches, chain link fencing, power cables, telephone lines etc

I would imagine that is true. Future vids/reports will confirm or deny this.

I feel like the auto tracking and obstacle avoidance are great new features! However, if you have a lot of experience flying a Phantom you should be a able to track the person yourself and avoid obstacles by yourself too. I am also wondering if those two features will counter act each other, say you're tracking an subject and the subject goes into a place with obstacles everywhere or around a mountain where it could loose connection.

Going to the camera of the P4 it doesn't look much better, I was hoping for 4k at 60fps like the rumors predicted. However adding raw files is a huge step up for people who use the phantom for professional photography. People who use it for videos, a little out of luck on the upgrades unless you think you will actually use 120fps at 1080p.

No one can really judge the P4 before actually using it but this is just an opinion from what I've heard and seen.

Just check the P3 section of this forum, it's either on the 1st or 2nd page, 104 sold already at $799

There are a lot of posts from P3 owners who state they won't buy a P4 because it is not worth the upgrade.
Then why are you posting here on the P4 forum ?
Go back to the P3P & P3A forum, and help other P3 owners with all their problems, still un-resolved a year after the P3 was released.

Reactions: Cale262

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brianklenhart