P4 vs. P3 Comparison Thread (Title Changed)

- 28 min of flight
- faster then p3p
- little bit better camera
- obstacle avoidance
- autonomus fliying
I've expected little more. There's no big difference between P3P/A and P4.
More is not always THE reason to go for something. $28 billion is more than $20 billion. Does that mean you are unhappy with $20 billion dollars?

Same goes for the top speed. Just because it is a little bit faster, doesn't mean the P3 is slow.

Better camera!? Again, better is "better" but is it worth it!?

Obstacle avoidance is obstacle avoidance. Nothing more, nothing less. Does one need it!? That is up to each user.

Not sure what autonomous flight means [on the P4].

More is not always THE reason to go for something. $28 billion is more than $20 billion. Does that mean you are unhappy with $20 billion dollars?

Same goes for the top speed. Just because it is a little bit faster, doesn't mean the P3 is slow.

Better camera!? Again, better is "better" but is it worth it!?

Obstacle avoidance is obstacle avoidance. Nothing more, nothing less. Does one need it!? That is up to each user.

Not sure what autonomous flight means [on the P4].

I can't believe this is this long of a topic. I bought a advanced, wrecked it, they replaced it, sold it. Got a P3P and have all the goodies... Three batteries, lens kits, case, long range etc. I'm selling everything I have and already have the P4 coming. Am I stupid? Does that mean I'm not as good as a seasoned pilot?

Let's break this all down as a group here-

- no one on this website is a "seasoned" anything. It's first and for most a hobby, and like all hobbies they're are all levels of participants.
- as Eazy E said once if you want to.... THROW IT IN THE GUTTER AND GO BUY ANOTHER". As I am doing.
- if you have the money to spare and you don't lose the house and your kids don't starve, then get the latest... Again as I am doing!
- it's a toy to some, and a tool for others. Like, what if we were talking about sniper rifles? A sniper would laugh at all of us for not being able to hit the broad side of a barn! That wouldn't feel good would it? What if that sniper could hit the barn without a scope (collision avoidance in this case?) and you couldn't.... The collision avoidance is a tool that helps... If you choose to tape over the lenses then more power to you... Doesn't mean your "better" because you don't need it! Some do!

I'm happy for all of you that can get one! And I'm sorry that anyone cares what I do with my money, and wants to debate what I should do. I may sell the P4 and get an inspire? I don't know....

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Reactions: Flytodd's
Nah, the p4 has longer range. About 3 miles.

You may be wishful thinking... You may believe that because something is new and cost more, it must therefore be better in everyday. Have a look at the DJI web site. I've placed the info below. The Left Column is the Phantom 4, the right Column is the Phantom Professional and Advanced. They are identical.

All Specs are the same when it comes to Transmission Distance and Video Transmission Distance. DJI did not include the newest version of light bridge with the Phantom 4. I'm guessing they are saving it for the soon to be released Inspire 2.

lightbridge.jpg

Im waiting for the you tube videos of a newbie flying a p4 purposly head on to a wall showing off the crash avoidence to his buddies, then realizing it was turned off! Crraarash....yard sale!

View attachment 45883 View attachment 45884 I personally don't like the p4 one bit! no retractable landing gear. no 360 gimbal. and no obstacle avoidance at 360 degrees! crappy shiny white finish looks horrid, they should have designed it black carbon fibre, and to top it all off it looks pregnant! in fact the only thing I do like is the pop on prop blades lol. been all excited waiting for the P4 release but now feel rather depressed about it!
I mean all they have really done is made it a little faster in sport mode but slowed it down even slower than the p3 in normal mode, then gave the camera a slight tweak on 120 fps in full HD WOW well done, I only shoot in 4K so that's useless to me, then they only put obstacle avoidance on the front and bottom that's just stupid, that will lead people to a false sense of security! In saying all this I still think if you don't own a drone then this would be the one to have compared to all other brands, as DJI I feel are still miles ahead, but not worth the upgrade if you have a p3. I have two p3 pro's 1 black and 1 white they look so much sleeker than the new obese P4, Here is one below ( slightly modded) happy flying!!View attachment 45883 View attachment 45884
Nice! I'm with you on the OA, and if you are going faster than 5mph it will not save you. On your P3, do the leg extensions get in your video?

Im waiting for the you tube videos of a newbie flying a p4 purposly head on to a wall showing off the crash avoidence to his buddies, then realizing it was turned off! Crraarash....yard sale!

Yeah I bet you are! Hahahahahaha! Most broke people watch YouTube and laugh at others! Cool.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

I went back and forth.... I loved my P3P. It was by first big boy drone and preformed like I thought it would. I ended up getting lucky and got most of my money out of my P3P.

So I took the plunge and will be a early adopter of P4. I have nothing against P3P I loved it.... I just hated I had it less then 3 months and not to have the newest one.... so risky yes. But hopefully will be happy once I get my new drone.

Reactions: hionbusa
80% of p3 pilots with a disposable income of at least $1399 per trimester will buy a p4. Just wait til all the unbox videos and that crisp non commerical p4 footage comes out... History always repeats itself:D:D:D:D

80% of p3 pilots with a disposable income of at least $1399 per trimester will buy a p4. Just wait til all the unbox videos and that crisp non commerical p4 footage comes out... History always repeats itself:D:D:D:D

I have been debating it myself for day's. Being able to get most of my money back was key in my decision. And part of that was luck. If I did not get that I likely would have kept the P3P.

I figure worst comes to worst I hate it. I doubt that happens but if it does I can always get a P3P even cheaper down the road.

My return on invest is based on how much wider is the grind on my face.
Collision avoidance feature of the p4 would make me feel more confident handing over the controls to a friend or significant other .giving them an chance to fly the bird without my heart beating 200bpm :)

Collision avoidance will be a gimmick, and to be honest will probably result in many more crashes than just learning how to fly properly in the first place. There are some nice features on the p4 though, mainly in the software for video capture. However i feel the phantom range may die out in the next few years, the problem for DJI is that they know that people that are serious about image quality want more than gopro performance from a sensor, and thats what you have in the p3p, and p4. They cant put a better camera on the phantom range, because it will compete directly with the inspire, therefore the phantom market is primed for a competetor to release a phantom size and price drone, with a better sensor, ie a m4thirds. When that happens, its going to DJI in a very awkward position, i dont think they would have much choice but to drop the phantom range

Collision avoidance will be a gimmick, and to be honest will probably result in many more crashes than just learning how to fly properly in the first place.

In the auto industry they refer to this as the "snow tire/4 wheel drive syndrome".

In the winter inexperienced people tend to drive faster if they have snow tires... yet they crash more. Same is true for 4 wheel drive. Some people think they can drive over objects or off road and end up stuck or crashing.

Experienced Phantom pilots should have no issues. New comers to the Phantom world, that may be a different story.

Read a few articles, watched a couple of videos and not yet convinced it's worth spending $1400 +++ after owning my P3P for several months. I usually jump when upgrades surface however, autonomous flying to me just takes away much of the enjoyment of owning a P3. As most already know, $1400 will quickly become well over $2000 after batteries, case etc. I like the design, new gimbal set up along with many of the new features. Perhaps it's time to sit back, read all the future threads from new owners and then making an educated decision before selling my P3P and investing in DJIs newest Phantom.
I'm very much like you when it comes to making the decision to buy the P 4. I've got both the Phantom 3 professional and the inspire one and I'm very happy with both of them. I don't use the upgraded features on either of the two drones I have now so to purchase the phantom 4 along with the accessories I'll have to purchase to maintain it isn't in my plans right now. I'm waiting to see what bugs are going to pop up that need to be fixed before I make my final decision.

In the auto industry they refer to this as the "snow tire/4 wheel drive syndrome".

In the winter inexperienced people tend to drive faster if they have snow tires... yet they crash more. Same is true for 4 wheel drive. Some people think they can drive over objects or off road and end up stuck or crashing.

Experienced Phantom pilots should have no issues. New comers to the Phantom world, that may be a different story.
Agreed, but even for the beginer, how good will the system be, you just know its not going to detect, single branches, chain link fencing, power cables, telephone lines etc

I'm not sure why, but I've ordered my Phatom 4 on Applestore just yesterday: I think that the "see and avoid" feature is the most important one. The only thing I don't understand is why there is non manual on DJI site! Are they still changing their minds?

Last edited:
I'm not sure why, but I've ordered my Phatom 4 on Applestore just yesterday: I think that the "see and avoid" feature is the most important one.
I hope your right, but i think it will be the most disappointing feature, and probably the only gimmick feature of the upgrades. Nothing will replace building experience with small short flights, slowly increasing distances, learning led sequences, learning to judge distance in FPV, compass calibration, and correct RTH altitude. I think people will find the OA will be more like Building and mountain avoidance

Read a few articles, watched a couple of videos and not yet convinced it's worth spending $1400 +++ after owning my P3P for several months. I usually jump when upgrades surface however, autonomous flying to me just takes away much of the enjoyment of owning a P3. As most already know, $1400 will quickly become well over $2000 after batteries, case etc. I like the design, new gimbal set up along with many of the new features. Perhaps it's time to sit back, read all the future threads from new owners and then making an educated decision before selling my P3P and investing in DJIs newest Phantom.
As owner of a P2P I had the same feelings, when P3P was introduced.

Of course, when I say that "see and avoid" is important I don't think to ignore the right attention that a visual ride requires: in other words I don't think to ride the Phantom 4 with closed eyes (it costs to much!)

For me right now I think this new avoidance system on the Phantom four is going to give a false sense of security and you're going to read about the crashes. Now they're talking about a 44 mile an hour drone, I'm not a racer and don't intend to be so that's probably a waste of battery time for me. I've been flying now for about a year and a half and I think I have learned the inns and outs of Drone operation and to let the drone take over some of my control would take away from the enjoyment of flying. To the new-bee in the hobby this phantom four will probably work better. Like they say it's hard to teach an old dog new tricks.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AnndyManuka