P4 vs. P3 Comparison Thread (Title Changed)

Hey now, you can still get some decent-looking video out of a 107c if you put your mind to it. :p

One thing I haven't seen mentioned much is that the 120fps mode cuts the field of view in half from 94 to 47 degrees. I don't know how much difference that will make to anyone though.

I decided to sell all my P3P stuff that's basically NEW! Everything. Case etc. I bought mine in January.... And my Advanced in November. I would rather have the best I can get. Am I losing some $$ YES.... But if you're in the sport to save money you better start collecting stamps.

To me having the newest is where I wish I would have started. I will build off the P4 and leave the P3 in the past! Then at least for a year I'll be in real time.

Also I don't think there will be more variations of the P4... What else could they add to it? Removable camera?

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

YIKES!!! DJI in the course of 1 year made no less than 4 versions of the Phantom 2 (I'm including the FC40) and continuous upgrades/enhancements to components in that same year. Again in the course of 1 year DJI made 4 versions of the Phantom 3 along with continues upgrades/enhancements to components.

Therefore, history substantiates that simple logic would dictate that the current Phantom 4 is but version one of several more to come within the next 12 months. If you wish to stay ahead of the game, be prepared to buy and sell Phantoms throughout the next 12 months.

YIKES!!! DJI in the course of 1 year made no less than 4 versions of the Phantom 2 (I'm including the FC40) and continuous upgrades/enhancements to components in that same year. Again in the course of 1 year DJI made 4 versions of the Phantom 3 along with continues upgrades/enhancements to components.

Therefore, history substantiates that simple logic would dictate that the current Phantom 4 is but version one of several more to come within the next 12 months. If you wish to stay ahead of the game, be prepared to buy and sell Phantoms throughout the next 12 months.

These are starting to go the way of computers a few years ago. No matter how long leave it as soon as you buy the next week a new, cheaper, better version would come out. It is a waiting game you cannot win. :)

Reactions: Grae
These are starting to go the way of computers a few years ago. No matter how long leave it as soon as you buy the next week a new, cheaper, better version would come out. It is a waiting game you cannot win.
It's an interesting phenomenon that happens in technology. Computers were the most egregious case for years. Smart phones and tablets went through the same process and now they're leveling out like computers did, but in a much shorter timeframe than it was for personal computers, thankfully. It's when the technology reaches a maturation point where leaps turn into steps. Even an enthusiast of the industry starts being willing to skip generations of product releases. Then you know the platform is maturing.

We may be reaching that point with drones. This is a very controversial thought that I may change, but it's a possibility. We may be done with the "huge leaps" that we saw between the P1 to P2 to P3. Things from here on out may be more evolutionary but still mercilessly continue marching on. It doesn't mean we're done seeing advancements (we all can think of tons of new things we'd like to see drones do) but we may be at the level that we can't see the advancement happen in big leaps from one product release to the next.

Josh

The p4 enhancements are geared for new users. So I can see how people say it's not a "pro flyer" oriented model. Other than sport mode of course.
There is only one enhancement aimed at beginners and that is collision avoidance. Everything else is just better. Longer flight time. Improved camera lens. More robust gimbal. More aerodynamic body. Stronger materials throughout. Higher motors to help avoid props being in your shot. Faster. More precise hovering with improved VPS. Locking props. Potentially slightly longer range with a remote that is higher powered. Dual IMU and compass. Etc.

Reactions: Flytodd's
sold

I would suggest that the vast majority of people on this forum are not using their Phantoms for professional use, and the majority of Phantom owners out there are not using their Phantoms for professional use. That said, I strongly feel that somebody with a talent for photography/film making can use almost any camera with great effect, and the Phantom is capable of some great things. Plus, a lot of film work is for web, and the Phantom will cover the needs of a small business owner very well, in the hands of a talented individual. To me, somebody could have the best camera available and produce terrible work.

UK

Don't forget Ansel Adams took landmark pictures with nothing more than a box with a pin hole in it. It isn't the tool that defines a pro, but how they use their tools and the results.

Don't forget Ansel Adams took landmark pictures with nothing more than a box with a pin hole in it. It isn't the tool that defines a pro, but how they use their tools and the results.
Very true. One can make amazing videos with a (toy) Phantom, Solo, or Yuneec.

Reactions: Grae
The p4 enhancements are geared for new users. So I can see how people say it's not a "pro flyer" oriented model. Other than sport mode of course.
I think anything that can benefit a new user will also help a pro. Heck, even a 757 has autopilot :)

It is odd that you can buy 2 top of the line p3s for the price of one p4.. And if you buy slightly used you'll have money left over, too.

It is odd that you can buy 2 top of the line p3s for the price of one p4.. And if you buy slightly used you'll have money left over, too.

It a new P4 is $1400 and a new P3P is $1000. If you have some $700 P3Ps for sale I bet you would have some buyers.

Well coming from a P3P that I sold a few months ago because it was starting to bore me I think the P4 will be fantastic. The P3 flew like a blimp,unless you had a tailwind. Yes,I also have a very fast 250.
I never had any problems with my P3; no stress cracks,horizon,etc.(well a few critical compass errors that self corrected)and I did enjoy it but was ready for a newer version.

No one is talking about the redesign of the bird? Adding rigidity,strengthening the shell, changing motor placement,gimbal center of gravity,motor strength,efficiency,etc.etc. MAY have a huge influence on flying characteristics. Interesting that no one is is interested in this? Furthermore no one has experienced flying it first hand,all speculation. I am looking forward to testing,flying the new model and will post my thoughts.

It's 140.00 more than what I paid for the P3 last fall, what's that 11-12%?. That sounds fair to me. Embrace the changes/advancements phantom lovers,guaranteed to occur a few times in the calendar year.

Apple will sell the P4 in its stores.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brianklenhart