P4 vs. P3 Comparison Thread (Title Changed)

Not necessarily P3 and I1's are tools, to me. P4 is a toy to me.

Tools, to you. Correct. But, they are not professional tools. They are beginner entry level quad copters in the photography/videography world. Just like buying your first DSLR camera you don't opt for the most expensive. You also don't jump right into cinema cameras.
There are many reasons why the P3 is not professional, not even the professional model. It also makes no sense how the P4 is a toy to you. But, the P3 is a tool. The P4 is simply better than the P3 and everybody can agree with that. Better lens, better flight time, better camera specs, flies faster, better control for both photography and videography. Now whether the P4 is worth upgrading from the P3 is a different story. As most stated, there is not enough convincing or worthy upgrades. Doesn't mean the P4 is not a better "tool". The cost and benefits from upgrading are simply not worth the investment. I definitely see that DJI once again rushed into releasing this model for many obvious reasons. I expect them to be a little more smarter at marketing this time around. They will have better versions of the P4 coming soon. Instead of making cheaper versions of the P3 as time passed.

Tools, to you. Correct. But, they are not professional tools. They are beginner entry level quad copters in the photography/videography world. Just like buying your first DSLR camera you don't opt for the most expensive. You also don't jump right into cinema cameras.
There are many reasons why the P3 is not professional, not even the professional model. It also makes no sense how the P4 is a toy to you. But, the P3 is a tool. The P4 is simply better than the P3 and everybody can agree with that. Better lens, better flight time, better camera specs, flies faster, better control for both photography and videography. Now whether the P4 is worth upgrading from the P3 is a different story. As most stated, there is not enough convincing or worthy upgrades. Doesn't mean the P4 is not a better "tool". The cost and benefits from upgrading are simply not worth the investment. I definitely see that DJI once again rushed into releasing this model for many obvious reasons. I expect them to be a little more smarter at marketing this time around. They will have better versions of the P4 coming soon. Instead of making cheaper versions of the P3 as time passed.

Agreed for the most part. I call the P4 more of a entry/hobbyist craft because all the features it offer are geared toward the unskilled and untrained.

Not everyone can afford an Alta let alone the knowledge to but a mission specific drone but in hindsight some folks need to start somewhere or do a industry feeler to see if this is where they want to be in.

I definitely agree the P4 is better than a P3 however, many, including myself, have chosen not to rush out and purchase it since most of the "improvements" are not what many believe are worth paying for as well as taking a substantial hit on their P3. I think most of us had a list in our minds of "must haves" in order to upgrade and unfortunately, were disappointed that most were in fact left off. Like others had mentioned, this is likely the first in a series of P4s that are due to surface very soon, those having the patience to wait will ultimately benefit with and even more "improved" version. The early adopters will then have to decide whether to now keep their "P4 version 1" or again upgrade should these enhancements prove substantial enough.

Women don't know about them and women don't like spending a decent amount of money on things for men that they are not sure about.

I see the P4 doing great things and us one day laughing at this thread.
My older sister and fellow drone pilot is laughing at your post right now.

Like others had mentioned, this is likely the first in a series of P4s that are due to surface very soon, those having the patience to wait will ultimately benefit with and even more "improved" version. The early adopters will then have to decide whether to now keep their "P4 version 1" or again upgrade should these enhancements prove substantial enough.
That's definitely possible. But will it happen in May or will it happen in October. Progress is progress and it's guaranteed to happen. :) If I can get the season as the latest model, I'm happy.

But I'm coming from a different place than this thread, focusing on P3P owners. I have a P2V+ and planning on an upgrade for this season, no matter what. It's just a question of whether it'll be the current latest and greatest or go with a P3P.

Josh

There are many reasons why the P3 is not professional, not even the professional model. .
I disagree... I would say it is not good enough for professional shoots like movies etc.... for that you would probably need something that can lift a red cam or GH4 on the low side... However, I am a professional and make money shooting video. I absolutely have used it for video that I get paid for... so in that sense I believe the term pro applies. I will also disagree with the previous comment about the 4 being a toy... It is an overall better copter in every respect so... not sure what that was about.

I would suggest that the vast majority of people on this forum are not using their Phantoms for professional use, and the majority of Phantom owners out there are not using their Phantoms for professional use. That said, I strongly feel that somebody with a talent for photography/film making can use almost any camera with great effect, and the Phantom is capable of some great things. Plus, a lot of film work is for web, and the Phantom will cover the needs of a small business owner very well, in the hands of a talented individual. To me, somebody could have the best camera available and produce terrible work.

UK

I disagree... I would say it is not good enough for professional shoots like movies etc.... for that you would probably need something that can lift a red cam or GH4 on the low side... However, I am a professional and make money shooting video. I absolutely have used it for video that I get paid for... so in that sense I believe the term pro applies. I will also disagree with the previous comment about the 4 being a toy... It is an overall better copter in every respect so... not sure what that was about.
The p4 enhancements are geared for new users. So I can see how people say it's not a "pro flyer" oriented model. Other than sport mode of course.

Reactions: Outta Control
I would suggest that the vast majority of people on this forum are not using their Phantoms for professional use, and the majority of Phantom owners out there are not using their Phantoms for professional use. That said, I strongly feel that somebody with a talent for photography/film making can use almost any camera with great effect, and the Phantom is capable of some great things. Plus, a lot of film work is for web, and the Phantom will cover the needs of a small business owner very well, in the hands of a talented individual. To me, somebody could have the best camera available and produce terrible work.

UK

Agreed. As stated before to me all drones are a tool to me.

There are some requirements my Inspire 1 nor my Tarot X4 or my AntiGravity can't do while my trainer P3 Std can, thus it is a tool for the right job. I will be picking up a P3P for "pro work" as I feel the P4 is more of a want than a need.

To all that think they are Professional ask this simple question, to become a professional is it based on the tools or is it the user creativity in using that said tool.

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

Last edited:
Reactions: Jack1926 and Grae
Reactions: CCDD
The p4 enhancements are geared for new users. So I can see how people say it's not a "pro flyer" oriented model. Other than sport mode of course.
Maybe... but... It retains the same features that the P3P has and enhances that AC with new features. I am simply pointing out that I use mine (P3P) as aspect of shoots that I get paid for... That is all. If I could use the P3P to do it I imagine I could also use the P4. Just sayin.

I can buy my wife her new stove she wants with the money I just saved with that eBay sale. :p:cool:

Reactions: Jack1926
On a serious note there are some people who don't like the issues that come with the current Phantom's. They don't like that the shells crack. They don't like that some have a tilted horizon that requires fixing. They don't like the battery problems that causes mid flight engine shut down in some cases. They don't like compass issues that causes the AC to switch out of GPS.

So getting a new version may be the answer for them. It may not. There will probably be a host of new issues but I can see why someone would opt for the most current version. This is coming from someone who has no problems with his P3 and will wait.

I wouldn't call p3 or p4 owners "pros". If they were "pros" they would be looking into the Inspire 1 Pro RAW at the very least. Phantom quads are simply consumer, basic level quads.
Maybe you would prefer the term pro-sumer? The little drones you get for $30 are amateur hour.

On a serious note there are some people who don't like the issues that come with the current Phantom's. They don't like that the shells crack. They don't like that some have a tilted horizon that requires fixing. They don't like the battery problems that causes mid flight engine shut down in some cases. They don't like compass issues that causes the AC to switch out of GPS.

So getting a new version may be the answer for them. It may not. There will probably be a host of new issues but I can see why someone would opt for the most current version. This is coming from someone who has no problems with his P3 and will wait.

Agreed.

Maybe you would prefer the term pro-sumer? The little drones you get for $30 are amateur hour.
That's exactly how I view them.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dlr11164