P4 vs. P3 Comparison Thread (Title Changed)

Even better, spherical collision avoidance, like a bubble around the aircraft.

Radar, I believe it's called.

As much as I may be tempted to trade up or simply add another quad to the collection, I just got an Inspire 1 a month ago and will be paying that off for some time now.

The big negative with getting a P4 for me would be the need for a third type of battery, buying ($159 or $169?) spare batteries, and it using a different charger.
Can't dji standardize the batteries somewhat? Will the Phantom 5 also have its own different battery?

Then again, Phantom 3 batteries should be getting much cheaper soon.....

Reactions: Bigdz
Thats actually the part that attracts me. As I undod, the P3A and P3P both already get 5km range. Flight time is also only 5 minutes more than P3's. What I really wonder is if well get the speed increase on the P3 via software update given that the speeds are electronically limited. This would be a my first drone purchase. Im confident with my flying skills so the obstacle avoidance isn't a big deal to me. Would you recommend purchasing the Phantom 4, or take advantage of the great prices on the Phantom 3?
There is people working on hacking the p3 as we speak so it won't be long till everything is unlocked

We agree to agree...that could be a first on this board.
After watching the "Tested" YouTube video, which was publish an hour before the actual P4 announcement. I wasn't impressed when they too it through its paces and it failed.

I'm sure they will button it up. I just refuse to buy anything just released by DJI(learned it with my P2v+, P3A and unfortunately with my Osmo)..... don't get me wrong, I'm a fan boy. Just a very cautious one.
First thing, just goes to show you we can disagree and it's a legitimate disagreement. I have not even known your avatar before now.

As far as I'm concerned, we are standing at 100% agreement.

Tracking, and RealSense is a version of it went from a novelty in things like Nuke, After Effects, Smoke and other tracking programs and it was never great. It was track, go back, re track, change some points, track again. I've always said, when we can track in real time, it will change the world and we are almost there yet but not quite.

Tracking facial expressions in realtime and at full speed will eliminate make up in film (Google "omote") that technology that Intel is claiming they developed has been being developed in Chine for a half decade and whatever DJI is using I'm sure is probably better than Intel. Who knows though, it's not like Intel is made up of a bunch of slackers.

But it's pretty **** impressive what they can do now. Even that video that "failed" on tested is because he went out of frame for a second. They already have algos that time when something goes off screen and what it should look like when it comes back on. Crazy stuff.

I said before, it will take two generations more of UASs before they get it right but it will save a few crashes and will have used we haven't thought of yet.

As for aesthetics, I'm sorry they P4 is the ugliest Phantom yet IMO.

Reactions: UpTo90 and Bigdz
What do u want the obstacle avoidance for? Just wonder what it could possibly help you avoid? It won't detect branches or wires. What do u need help not crashing into??

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app
From some periodical:

"

Initially, Intel demoed this technology in an expensive prototype that didn’t catch the audience’s attention. However, for under $2,000, the Yuneec Typhoon H drone is well worth taking a closer look at. During Intel’s CES keynote, Brian Krzanich demonstrated the capabilities of the Typhoon H. He cleverly maneuvered the drone, which, to the audience’s delight, flawlessly navigated obstacle courses and avoided falling trees. So, let’s see what this drone is capable of doing."

So why won't it avoid these things?

I was so sad when there was no 360 camera cus the les dont go up CRY ;-(
This is one I just don't understand.

I have the s1000, will have the Typhoon H, have the inspire 1, inspire pro, and I also have the p3p and p3pa. Out of all of them (aside from the inspire pro because of the camera), I find the retractable legs and the 360 camera makes no deference to me. In fact, I prefer the organic nature of the turning craft with a camera and a push in vs say a zoom that everyone wants. The only use for a zoom is convenience.

We have a camera with zero limitations for movement in the sky? Why do you need placement better than straight ahead??? On a quad that rotates? It's like asking for a merry go round on a merry go round but the one in the middle isn't as good. Don't understand it.

It just looks cool. It serves. No function. Now the blades behind higher and not getting the bird in the way is a different story.

The best use of the 360 camera I've found is with the 3rd party App AutoPilot, set it to Focus on a point then the camera stays fixed on that point no matter where you fly.
It's just not as easy to get the same fluid movement with the Phantom 3 and fixed camera.
But I agree with the DJI App and normal flying the 360 camera doesn't have as much use without a second controller/camera operator which seems unlikely on the Phantom line.

Reactions: CaptainDrone798
Read a few articles, watched a couple of videos and not yet convinced it's worth spending $1400 +++ after owning my P3P for several months. I usually jump when upgrades surface however, autonomous flying to me just takes away much of the enjoyment of owning a P3. As most already know, $1400 will quickly become well over $2000 after batteries, case etc. I like the design, new gimbal set up along with many of the new features. Perhaps it's time to sit back, read all the future threads from new owners and then making an educated decision before selling my P3P and investing in DJIs newest Phantom.

AGREE!!! Well said Sir!!

Easy... Follow this decision map:

- Do you already own a P3? YES

- Do you have $1400 plus another $300 for accessories? YES

- Do you have a need to fly fast, say in a big clear field or over water? YES

- Do you have bad eyesight and a super tiny cell phone display for FPV and constantly run into objects at low speed? YES

- Did you like the scenes in the Matrix movie that were in slow motion? And do you have a desire to see what your Phantom sees in slow motion when falling out of the sky filming at 120 FPS? YES

- Do you have difficulty with screwing in a light bulb? Does the light bulb sometimes fall out of the ceiling for no reason? So props that connect differently would be a bonus? YES

If you answered YES to all of the above, then the Phantom 4 is the upgrade for you! :)
LOL!!!:)

On the fence here the Yuneec Typhoon H is looking really good with built in video monitor in the controller and obstacle avoidance also. I got to see this firsthand at this years CES and was impressed by the Hexacopter design, retractable landing gear and 360 deg rotating 4K camera .. decisions ... decisions..
Like all Yuneec drones (I have the Q500+) you don't get Lightbridge. The distance of Lightbridge sets you free. It easily reaches 5X the distance of plain old Wifi that Yuneec uses.

Reactions: dataway
I have been waiting to buy my first satellite quad. I don't think this offers enough over the P3P to justify the extra price at this point. Still considering P3P, Q5004k, or wait even longer to see how people like the H once it is released.
I have a Q500, it's an absolute dog (17MPH) compared to my P3P (35MPH), not to mention the best part, the P3P gets 10,000+ft distance versus 1800ft for the Q. No comparison. I will never buy another drone without Lightbridge, so something similar.

Fisheye has been long gone since the Hero 3+ They never have different modes you can shoot with. Narrow, Wide and Medium.
Not true. My Hero 4 has fisheye. Medium and Narrow are only cropped images that don't provide full resolution of the sensor. The Lens in the GoPro "NEEDS TO GO". Yuneec and DJI both have figured out how to deliver 4K video without fisheye, by using the right lens. I would bet money the GoPro will continue to have fisheye at full resolution, without cropping to medium or narrow. They just don't get it. I don't want another step in post.

The go pro will be the best drone out this year I know there laughing at dji release today.
I'll be laughing when everyone complains about the fisheye at full resolution. Look at Solo, pretty much a failure, banking on GoPro to provide cameras. They are nowhere even close to a Phantom in terms of features or price. Just to equal a Phantom 3, Karma has a big task ahead, especially being it's first release. You know it will use Wifi for video link, limited to 1800' distance. That's nowhere close to the 2mi range of a Phantom3 or 4.

At this point I'll be skipping this generation Phantom. I'm very happy with my P3P, and unless I see dramatic improvements in the Camera and Battery Life then I'm just going to hold off until I do.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AnndyManuka