P4 vs. P3 Comparison Thread (Title Changed)

You just gave me a thought. GPS mode is designed to grab as many satelites as possible to ensure stability in any direction or hovering. As you indicated, you can do high speed with satelites turned off and still obtain stable flight. I wonder if the P4 cuts the number of satelites to 4 when in "S" mode so that speed is maximized yet just the essential satelites exist? Just a thought.

Speed has nothing to do with satellites. Even in P-GPS mode when you are moving the P3 is tracking satellites but it's effectively in ATTI mode as GPS is not controlling your movement (motors). At that point it's just the accelerometers and gyroscopes helping you keep a level flight as it relates to your stick inputs (forwards, backwards, sideways etc.) just like any drone without GPS.

This is evident as the P3 will drift with the wind during movement even when in P-GPS mode. It's only when you stop while in P-GPS mode that the P3 uses GPS to control your hover in place even in wind. GPS locks your movement in place.

The speed restriction in P-GPS is purely a DJi programming limit. When in GPS limit speed. That limit is not in place with ATTI mode. You can flip to ATTI mode and ride a tailwind well past 40mph but you cannot while in P-GPS mode. In ATTI you are still tracking the same number of satellites it's just when you stop GPS isn't locking your movement while hovering. This is evident as RTH continues to work while in ATTI mode if you have good satellite locks.

S-Mode with the P4 merely allows the P4 to angle at a higher degree (45 degrees) than the P3 was ever able to and DJi removed the 35mph restriction that was there in the P3 in P-GPS mode. So you get to go faster up to a point I imagine. DJi probably is limiting S-Mode speed as well on the high end but until we get our hands on the P4 we won't know what that limit is if any. As far as we can tell S-Mode acts just like P-GPS mode in that when stopped the P4 is GPS locked in a hover. The P4 has ATTI mode as well but we won't know how it works in relation to S-Mode as far as top speed is concerned.

Speed has nothing to do with satellites. Even in P-GPS mode when you are moving the P3 is tracking satellites but it's effectively in ATTI mode as GPS is not controlling your movement (motors). At that point it's just the accelerometers and gyroscopes helping you keep a level flight as it relates to your stick inputs (forwards, backwards, sideways etc.) just like any drone without GPS.

This is evident as the P3 will drift with the wind during movement even when in P-GPS mode. It's only when you stop while in P-GPS mode that the P3 uses GPS to control your hover in place even in wind. GPS locks your movement in place.

The speed restriction in P-GPS is purely a DJi programming limit. When in GPS limit speed. That limit is not in place with ATTI mode. You can flip to ATTI mode and ride a tailwind well past 40mph but you cannot while in P-GPS mode. In ATTI you are still tracking the same number of satellites it's just when you stop GPS isn't locking your movement while hovering. This is evident as RTH continues to work while in ATTI mode if you have good satellite locks.

S-Mode with the P4 merely allows the P4 to angle at a higher degree (45 degrees) than the P3 was ever able to and DJi removed the 35mph restriction that was there in the P3 in P-GPS mode. So you get to go faster up to a point I imagine. DJi probably is limiting S-Mode speed as well on the high end but until we get our hands on the P4 we won't know what that limit is if any. As far as we can tell S-Mode acts just like P-GPS mode in that when stopped the P4 is GPS locked in a hover. The P4 has ATTI mode as well but we won't know how it works in relation to S-Mode as far as top speed is concerned.
Good points! Braking in S-Mode also requires up to 160 feet according to the P4 Manual.

Last edited:
We'll see what people report when they finally get the P4. I think DJI is tired of people complaining about cracks near the motor mounts and will attempt to slow them down a bit, even though they'll probably hit 40 instead of the 35 with the P3. The real problem with the cracking is people starting or stopping toooooo fast. If you just fly it and slowly take off and slowly stop, it will reduce a lot of the stress the plastic is under. You can still fly fast, just take your time getting there. My newest P3P will only go about 40mph, even with a tail wind. So they've already taken steps to slow things down.
Couldn't this be solved by flying in ATTI mode instead of full gps mode?

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Since the increased angel allowed increased speed, could the P3P potential see an increase in speed if they allow an increased flight angle in a future software update? Potential a Sport mode for phantom 3 via software update?

When do you think used p4s will start to hit the market? I'm not comfortable with $1400.

Does anyone know for sure if the p3 controller model GL300A will be compatible with the P4? I have heard from a couple people that it is but was wondering if anyone knows for sure!! Thanks in advance! !!

Does anyone know for sure if the p3 controller model GL300A will be compatible with the P4? I have heard from a couple people that it is but was wondering if anyone knows for sure!! Thanks in advance! !!
Why just the A and not the B or C?

How do you expect anyone to confirm until it's actually attempted?

Crashed/damaged P4s will hit the market before the end of the month ;-)

Reactions: Tony Cowan
Just to follow up: I pulled the trigger on the $799 eBay deal for the P3 Pro that some were thinking might be a misrepresented P3 4K.
It was delivered today... and I'm happy to report that it is indeed a P3 Pro (W323B & GL300C), brand new with full manufacturers warranty.

In case anyone was sceptical about grabbing one - it's the real deal.

Happy flying!
Bummer! I was hoping it might be an old motor W323 with the GL300A. The W323B with the GL300C has the lowest power output of any P3P on both the aircraft (video feed) and the controller. The result is the shortest range of any of the P3P's.

Bummer! I was hoping it might be an old motor W323 with the GL300A. The W323B with the GL300C has the lowest power output of any P3P on both the aircraft (video feed) and the controller. The result is the shortest range of any of the P3P's.
Wait, so theirs different power output to the motors and transmitter radio between Phantom 3 Pro's? I know theirs a newer motor version (where I know theirs a debate between what is better), but the transmitter radio as well? So not all lightbridge is the same?

Wait, so theirs different power output to the motors and transmitter radio between Phantom 3 Pro's? I know theirs a newer motor version (where I know theirs a debate between what is better), but the transmitter radio as well? So not all lightbridge is the same?
Correct! The transmitter power was reduced on the GL300C version, and each successive A and B iteration of the W323 aircraft further reduced the video power coming from the aircraft. W323B has 30% less video power than the original W323, according to the respective FCC filings for each. The power outputs are a combination of lightbridge and the antennas and electronics hooked up to it.

Correct! The transmitter power was reduced on the GL300C version, and each successive A and B iteration of the W323 aircraft further reduced the video power coming from the aircraft. W323B has 30% less video power than the original W323, according to the respective FCC filings for each. The power outputs are a combination of lightbridge and the antennas and electronics hooked up to it.
But dji has always advertise 5km range for Lightbridge, could it be something else like more efficient electronic components for increased battery life?

Also speaking of range. And I know real life conditions vary. I was able to go 28k in simulator. Probably endless distance. I just thought Is it possible to go over 25k with the pro. Well looking at you tube videos yes. Hope I can test it today on my maiden flight.

When initially released the P3 range was listed as 2km (1.2 miles). Later it was increased to 5km (3.1 miles). Not sure anything actually changed other than DJI may have been conservative in their initial range estimate.

But dji has always advertise 5km range for Lightbridge, could it be something else like more efficient electronic components for increased battery life?

Bummer! I was hoping it might be an old motor W323 with the GL300A.
Sorry to disappoint, but I kinda see it as the complete opposite of a 'bummer!'.
An $800 brand new P3P that is the most current release that DJI offers is absolutely fine with me.
From what I've read, in real world scenarios, the differences are negligible and inconsistent among users. Even if there are slight speed (FW) and/or live feed reductions- I'm ok with it. Maybe there's a reason for the changes? I have no idea... but I'll be able to compare this latest addition with my other P3Ps W323A/GL300B & W323/GL300A, of which I've had zero problems or concerns.
Granted I'm not using my Phantoms for racing or long haul flights so the option to add a backup for $800 was a no brainer.
A great deal from an honest seller - end of story.

Happy Flying!

I think you accidently supported my thought while trying not to support it. :)

Everything you said above is correct except for the part where you mention speed and GPS in the Phantom.

When initially released the P3 range was listed as 2km (1.2 miles). Later it was increased to 5km (3.1 miles). Not sure anything actually changed other than DJI may have been conservative in their initial range estimate.
Very true! Underpromise and overdeliver! The original video power was so much stronger than the specs that when DJI finally upped the range in their marketing materials, they also were able to still reduce the video signal power output from the aircraft by another 18-30%, depending upon the version of the P3P.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AnndyManuka