Official P3 Range Leaderboard

Happy new year to my fellow distance flyers!
Hope this year can bring us safe flights at extreme distances and we all can achieve a new personable best!
These distance records have gotten so extreme that it seems it may turned away a few flyers that were real up-and comers! I encourage all of us to get back out there and get the friendly competition fired back and push to keep flying. Hopefully in 2017 we can share new things were trying and battery mods and whats working out there (and whats not) and get this thread back up to the enthusiasm it had early on[emoji41]
We've set the bar really high but thats what can make this year so fun and stand out as the best year distance flyers have seen yet. Seeeeya!

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Happy new year to my fellow distance flyers!
Hope this year can bring us safe flights at extreme distances and we all can achieve a new personable best!
These distance records have gotten so extreme that it seems it may turned away a few flyers that were real up-and comers! I encourage all of us to get back out there and get the friendly competition fired back and push to keep flying. Hopefully in 2017 we can share new things were trying and battery mods and whats working out there (and whats not) and get this thread back up to the enthusiasm it had early on[emoji41]
We've set the bar really high but thats what can make this year so fun and stand out as the best year distance flyers have seen yet. Seeeeya!

Happy new year to all as well.yes I will be back when winter has sprung.see if I can get into the 50,000 club haha!!

Back from Christmas &NYD holidays and lot of things happened !
Digdat I'm with you for the camera may be because Ive done almost the same thing in December ! I trashed the gimbal too, but for me it's not only a matter of weight but overall a matter of COG , to be able to lift big battery and don't risk a flip back.
I have made two laser cut plates, an upper one to put the camera on, and a lower one leveled with the VPS enclosure, so I can put a big battery just on the COG of the Phantom
Some pictures of the mod :
IMG_0063.JPG

IMG_0064.JPG

IMG_0065.JPG

IMG_0066.JPG

Sorry for the ear plug ! Not very professional but It helps a lot to reduce jello effect ...
Only done 2 flights in December and to be fair I haven't seen a big advantage so far in flight time. Need some more flight test but weather is too cold here.
If someone want the file of the plate (.SVG for laser cut or .stl for 3d printing ) send me a PM . Same thing for the 3d printed spacers, it was purpose made at 17mm length .

Happy new year Long range addicts !

Hi there Atlantic Surfer looks like youve done some alterations to your phantom, whatever works i guess. If it is to cold over there
in the states it is too windy along the west coast where i live at the moment, so long flights are on hold. HNY.

Hi there Atlantic Surfer looks like youve done some alterations to your phantom, whatever works i guess. If it is to cold over there
in the states it is too windy along the west coast where i live at the moment, so long flights are on hold. HNY.

Yeah, but I have another one for video, so this one is my " FPV P3 " and my guinea pig for any idea I want to test. It works fine and I'm happy with this mod because now when I take off, it's smooth and doesn't go back like it do with just the 4400 under the VPS. I can't imagine with a 6600 !
But I think (hope ! ) that the full potential of this mod will be with 6600 and 8800 battery. Never try so far and not sure I can in the next 2 months

Reactions: Digdat0
What throttle % are you guys mostly using on these long 30-60k voyages? I'm j/q what you guys find to be most efficient speed vs. battery draw . I found that when I keep the throttle stick at about 70-80% that's where I have seen my best mileage per battery.

I just purchased the maxx uav maxx range antenna/panel -kit last night and am very excited to use it. I'm gonna be mounting it to my controller 1/2 the time but the other 1/2 I will be using it for a tripod stand I am building to mount the panel to, from there I plan to run two high grade cables with adapters if needed into my house so that I can fly the quad from inside my house, using my hdmi module to display the image feed onto my tv screen in my living room.

Can't wait to try her out and see what kinda numbers I get for my distance, if it's not far enough I plan to boost it and do a battery mod. What type of boosters do you guys suggest using with this panel if I go that rout? And what type of cable/adapters would you recommend? I also bought the clean install kit to go along with it.

Edit: im using a p3a...currently in my area I have reached around 6,000 feet with the stock antennas, so I think the future is looking bright for me with this new antenna mod and the ranges I can achieve... Does anybody know what the stock antennas dbi rating is? J/q .. This say I can maybe do some calculations of how much of an advantage this new maxx range 14dbs is gonna give me

Last edited:
You may want to check out these threads:
Flying from inside house or car anyone?
Dual Battery Mod

I'm gonna be mounting it to my controller 1/2 the time but the other 1/2 I will be using it for a tripod stand I am building to mount the panel to, from there I plan to run two high grade cables with adapters if needed into my house so that I can fly the quad from inside my house, using my hdmi module to display the image feed onto my tv screen in my living room.

Can't wait to try her out and see what kinda numbers I get for my distance, if it's not far enough I plan to boost it and do a battery mod. What type of boosters do you guys suggest using with this panel if I go that rout? And what type of cable/adapters would you recommend? I also bought the clean install kit to go along with it.

Reactions: NoBiffBetter
What throttle % are you guys mostly using on these long 30-60k voyages? I'm j/q what you guys find to be most efficient speed vs. battery draw . I found that when I keep the throttle stick at about 70-80% that's where I have seen my best mileage per battery.

I just purchased the maxx uav maxx range antenna/panel -kit last night and am very excited to use it. I'm gonna be mounting it to my controller 1/2 the time but the other 1/2 I will be using it for a tripod stand I am building to mount the panel to, from there I plan to run two high grade cables with adapters if needed into my house so that I can fly the quad from inside my house, using my hdmi module to display the image feed onto my tv screen in my living room.

Edit: im using a p3a...currently in my area I have reached around 6,000 feet with the stock antennas, so I think the future is looking bright for me with this new antenna mod and the ranges I can achieve... Does anybody know what the stock antennas dbi rating is? J/q .. This say I can maybe do some calculations of how much of an advantage this new maxx range 14dbs is gonna give me

I use full throttle. I've played around with less and think 100% is the best.

Yessir. I love my ms6600 lihv most, but the 5200 is also nice. I found that long range, you get some battery savings but the speed doesn't get the distance you need.

Yessir. I love my ms6600 lihv most, but the 5200 is also nice. I found that long range, you get some battery savings but the speed doesn't get the distance you need.
Where did you buy your MS6600 LiHV? I've been checking HobbyKing but they don't have it in US warehouse; it's only available in the UK or Australia.

Where did you buy your MS6600 LiHV? I've been checking HobbyKing but they don't have it in US warehouse; it's only available in the UK or Australia.

I got it from HobbyKing, i've ordered 4 of them total and they always had them in stock. I just checked and you are right, none in the US. I got from here:
MultiStar LiHV High Capacity 4S 6600mAh Multi-Rotor Lipo Pack

I'd recommend chatting, tell them you wanna order and see if they can get some int he US warehouse. I'm wondering if their stock is just low cause the holidays, i never saw them sold out in the US for the 6600 before.

FYI to others, I've compiled a good list of 4s LiPo/LiHV batteries here: Lipo/LIHV Battery Inventory List (4s)

And I've aslo created a Battery Mod FAQ incase anyone wants to get into the game, this should help. Battery Modification for DJI Phantom 3 FAQ

Reactions: neven
QUOTE]

I also use full throttle, i've got a little bit of long-distance experience and I found that the best battery management at least distance per battery is done with speed, anytime you can get up into the 33 to 36 mph area with the least amount of wind possible you're going to be able to go farther than the next guy.
On the other end the common believe for P4 it's to throttle back around the 30 mph speed, I've always went a little bit faster than everybody else that I talk to and choose to go around 34 to 35 on the way out. Although I've never tried a long distance P4 flight full throttle, i'm starting to think that that also would be the way to go, and when winter is over that's how I'll be running the

I got it from HobbyKing, i've ordered 4 of them total and they always had them in stock. I just checked and you are right, none in the US. I got from here:
MultiStar LiHV High Capacity 4S 6600mAh Multi-Rotor Lipo Pack

I'd recommend chatting, tell them you wanna order and see if they can get some int he US warehouse. I'm wondering if their stock is just low cause the holidays, i never saw them sold out in the US for the 6600 before.

FYI to others, I've compiled a good list of 4s LiPo/LiHV batteries here: Lipo/LIHV Battery Inventory List (4s)

And I've aslo created a Battery Mod FAQ incase anyone wants to get into the game, this should help. Battery Modification for DJI Phantom 3 FAQ
I've been checking on and off for a month or so. Thanks for the tip.

1273d5066741c18926b72bc7201fb22f.jpg

A local restaurant had a chalkboard with the ?
882669a9711806e169223255c83a93df.jpg

Hey, gotta put it out there in the universe[emoji41]

That managers special looks like one heck of a deal. Plus, that's a huge mark. You can do it ! Mine is to get a gps tracker finally lol

Alright, i need the community and Jakes opinion here. Whatever you guys chose is what i will go with.

In my flight yesterday, i had a p3a cam on the aircraft, but it was stripped down to drop some weight. This is in addition to other weight reduction I've done to both my drones (which I've shared here on the forums). My belief is that for this leader board, a camera is a camera, whether its a stock or modded one, or even a fpv cam hacked in place of the stock camera. You go from here to there with a camera and prove you had video at distance, and you are good. I know we've had issue with camera-less flights being posted here and decided those wouldn't be allowed. So i post this in terms of transparency and will ask the community to make a call.

Does me removing weight from the camera nullify it from this record? (If so, that's okay, as i'd rather be straight up than have a record). Please share your thoughts.

Below are pictures.

j5DqEAI.jpg

yjEy1W7.jpg
My opinion.. A camera is a camera :) Nothing wrong with weight reduction.

Reactions: Digdat0

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brianklenhart