Antenna Boosters

Reaction score
What does everyone use for antenna boosters?
Are you happy with what you've got?
How much improvement do you get? Distance/Penetration?
Boosted or unboosted?

I have a Phantom 3 Professional with a GL300B Remote Control.

I first tried a home 3D printed, windsurfer type parabolic reflector and was surprised how much it improved my distance (about 50%) - but it didn't improve my penetration very much through the trees.

I switched from that to the ITElite DBS02 gain antenna - with and without a pair of 2W Sunhans Amps. Adding the DBS02 doubled my distance and greatly improved my penetration. Adding the 2W boosters didn't improve my distance as much as I expected them to - but it did give me about 25% more.

I recently purchased a second Phantom 3 Professional - and today, as I write this - I'm sitting in a parking lot and waiting for one of our fellow Forum Members @KyleMaxxUAV to install his top of the line kit - the ITElite MaxxRange antenna with 3W Sunhans boosters on my 2nd GL300B! Over the next few days, I'll pair both of my remotes with the same Phantom and go to the area in which I have the shortest range (due to local RF interference) and run range tests from both setups back to back and see if I can get some semi-scientific data comparing the 2 rigs.

(I also got a 7% discount just for mentioning that I'm a member of these forums!). Here's a link to his Canadian website - and pricing is in Canadian dollars - but it says he ships around the world. I did some comparison shopping and found that even without the 7% discount, his prices were better than anything else I could find (after converting Canadian dollars to US dollars).

I'll revoke this endorsement if I get it back and find he's screwed up my remote - but so far, he's been a pleasure to interact with. He was super helpful explaining my options to me - and he was willing to do my mod, on a Saturday, while I wait!!! :)
DJI long range mods drone Sunhans booster DBS itelite FPVLR maxxrange

My particular package is not listed as a bundle. Had to take the EVOlite kit and add-on the MaxxRange antenna. He also stocks car antennas and if this all works out well, I'm considering one of those for the fall/winter.

Has anyone here used a car or house mounted antenna? Boosted or not? Unidirectional or Omnidirectional ? How did it work out for you?

ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots1466288745.387491.jpg

Got it! Looks awesome!

What is the Best booster for a 3 standard ?
I'm new to this drone thing, so not to complex solutions [emoji3]
From Denmark, hope my english can be understood [emoji16]

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Yup your English is perfect !! Do you mean amplifiers or antenna ? The standard uses both 5.8ghz for control and 2.4ghz for video downlink !!

Last edited:
All of it... If it's Easy to install [emoji16]
I saw the ARGtech (i think the name was)
But not all writes good about it... But it seems easy to install.
Then there is the windsurfer gadget, but is'nt that just for the looks [emoji19]

All of the phantom 3 standard mods will require you to open up the remote and change the internal cables. After that is done you will need an antenna to start, probably the best "bang for your buck" would be the itelite panels. PM me and I'll send you some photos etc

Thanks for the info Tenly. I am interested to read your results after you test with the Maxx and the Sunhans.
I have a similar experience. I am in a heavily populated area with lots of wifi , trees and hills. Out of the box I would get around 1200 feet around the house. I got the wind surfers and with them I would get to around 2000ft. I then got the small DBS mod as a birthday gift. They would allow me to go out around 3000. By this time, as you can see, I was hooked. Then the release of the Maxx. I had to have it! Got it and this took me out to 5200. I had to have more....
I recently found on the classifieds here a pair of the Sunhans 3w gold with the maxxuav mount, batteries, all wires, etc. I am currently waiting for them to arrive. I am curious how much extra "penetration" the Sunhans will give me.
Understand, I have never really had an issue away from home. I could get 8000 stock, 10000 surfers, 13000 small DBS, 18000 Maxx. This being in a better area but still not wide open and still with interference. Just not as bad as at home.
Just trying to give my experience to your post and also see if others might have some experience with the Sunhans and offer their opinion on what I should expect in my environment.
I am pretty excited about getting them and just have to wait as they are coming from Canada, which takes longer than I had hoped.
Oh yeah, I am sure a battery mod will be in the near future for me. Or at least I hope that's the case, that I need one :)

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Reactions: KyleMaxxUAV
One thing I forgot to mention was the improvement in penetration when I went to the Maxx DBS. The things that antenna would punch through are amazing. I could go in my house with my bird in the driveway, sit on my couch, and still had full bars on video and control.
Amazing.
Still can't wait to wire the Sunhans in though :)

Look what just arrived !!!! Time to fulfill some orders !!! There should be a few left so make sure you guys don't waste any time, place your order right away to avoid waiting!

Look what just arrived !!!! Time to fulfill some orders !!! There should be a few left so make sure you guys don't waste any time, place your order right away to avoid waiting!

What arrived Kyle?
You can't do that to us!
:)

All of it... If it's Easy to install [emoji16]
I saw the ARGtech (i think the name was)
But not all writes good about it... But it seems easy to install.
Then there is the windsurfer gadget, but is'nt that just for the looks [emoji19]

No - the windsurfers aren't just for looks. Out of the box, the antennas on your remote are omnidirectional - meaning they radiate the signal in all directions. Omnidirectional is great for a TV or Radio station or on any type of fixed mount antenna - but on a handheld antenna that you can easily move - more than half of your transmit power is being wasted - sending the signal behind you and beside you as well as in front of you towards your Phantom...

The windsurfer antennas work by reflecting and redirecting the RF signals that would have been sent out behind and beside you and wasted. It sends them forward where they add on to the Rf signal radiating forward, giving you a stronger signal - but a more unidirectional one - meaning the signal only radiates in a single direction (in front of you).

With the windsurfers - all of the generated RF signal is sent out forward in a fairly narrow cone. This increases your range, but you must keep your antenna pointed directly towards the Phantom. If you aim too far to the left or right, you'll miss and you may get a lost connection message.

The Itelite antennas are also designed to send the signal forwards in a cone - but a wider cone, with far more efficiency than the Windsurfers - and with the opportunity of inserting a booster in series, adding even more power and range!

So - the ITElite panels and kits are better than the windsurfers in every possible way - but if you can't afford an ITElite kit at the moment - the Windsurfers can be used to get a small improvement in range over the stock antennas. You can even build them yourself if you have access to a 3D printer! (Search Thingiverse for the designs)

ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots1466467126.847520.jpg

ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots1466467177.186594.jpg

ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots1466467201.106305.jpg

Thanks for the info Tenly. I am interested to read your results after you test with the Maxx and the Sunhans.
I have a similar experience. I am in a heavily populated area with lots of wifi , trees and hills. Out of the box I would get around 1200 feet around the house. I got the wind surfers and with them I would get to around 2000ft. I then got the small DBS mod as a birthday gift. They would allow me to go out around 3000. By this time, as you can see, I was hooked. Then the release of the Maxx. I had to have it! Got it and this took me out to 5200. I had to have more....
I recently found on the classifieds here a pair of the Sunhans 3w gold with the maxxuav mount, batteries, all wires, etc. I am currently waiting for them to arrive. I am curious how much extra "penetration" the Sunhans will give me.
Understand, I have never really had an issue away from home. I could get 8000 stock, 10000 surfers, 13000 small DBS, 18000 Maxx. This being in a better area but still not wide open and still with interference. Just not as bad as at home.
Just trying to give my experience to your post and also see if others might have some experience with the Sunhans and offer their opinion on what I should expect in my environment.
I am pretty excited about getting them and just have to wait as they are coming from Canada, which takes longer than I had hoped.
Oh yeah, I am sure a battery mod will be in the near future for me. Or at least I hope that's the case, that I need one :)

Me too! It's been windy here the last couple of days and I'm waiting for a calm day to start the testing!

What arrived Kyle?
You can't do that to us!
:)

A big ol box of Sunhans boosters !! I cleared house 2 weeks in a row so I doubled all of my orders !! Can't be running out !! lol

Reactions: MasterBlaster
No - the windsurfers aren't just for looks. Out of the box, the antennas on your remote are omnidirectional - meaning they radiate the signal in all directions. Omnidirectional is great for a TV or Radio station or on any type of fixed mount antenna - but on a handheld antenna that you can easily move - more than half of your transmit power is being wasted - sending the signal behind you and beside you as well as in front of you towards your Phantom...

The windsurfer antennas work by reflecting and redirecting the RF signals that would have been sent out behind and beside you and wasted. It sends them forward where they add on to the Rf signal radiating forward, giving you a stronger signal - but a more unidirectional one - meaning the signal only radiates in a single direction (in front of you).

With the windsurfers - all of the generated RF signal is sent out forward in a fairly narrow cone. This increases your range, but you must keep your antenna pointed directly towards the Phantom. If you aim too far to the left or right, you'll miss and you may get a lost connection message.

The Itelite antennas are also designed to send the signal forwards in a cone - but a wider cone, with far more efficiency than the Windsurfers - and with the opportunity of inserting a booster in series, adding even more power and range!

So - the ITElite panels and kits are better than the windsurfers in every possible way - but if you can't afford an ITElite kit at the moment - the Windsurfers can be used to get a small improvement in range over the stock antennas. You can even build them yourself if you have access to a 3D printer! (Search Thingiverse for the designs)

View attachment 57678

View attachment 57679

View attachment 57680

Amen brother !!

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member