New Firmware date is set.

Can't think of many reasons for flying the same flight over. They should just call it "replay". It's not waypoints.

RCG is like going to the library while PP is like going to the bar. Both are useful at times but the bar is always more fun.

RCG is like going to the library where you have to read every single other book on the stack before you find the one you want to read.

Thanks for the work! For me it's POI and home lock that I was hoping for, so it seems I will be pretty happy with the upgrade. Can't wait.

... Then fly to the next waypoint spot and repeat the process. Once you have everything to your liking, you then press to start the mission. It will go through the mission and hover at the last one. ...
Thanks for the info.

Will it be possible to freely maneuver the camera while the mission is playing?
Or will the camera just point at what it was pointing at during the recording of the path?

This is how I would like to use it:
First do the tour manually, planning perspectives for the camera and set the waypoints.
Then while "playing the route back" I want full control of the camera, and only have to think about the camera.

Also, are the paths between waypoints always straight lines?
If so, if I set a bunch of waypoints to approximate a curved path, will it stop at every waypoint or will it continue through each waypoint so I get a smooth dolly like motion along that path?

Reactions: huntjock
Wow so the info is final out there and I can finally talk about it. I have been testing both the new firmware and app update for the last 6 or more weeks. The other testers and my self did everything we could to make sure this roll out was a solid as it could be. We were able to get a small percentage of suggestion taken care of, but not all of them. One of my suggestion was of the few that got included. It was the addition of a "Adjustable Pause Setting" added to the Waypoint and POI features. Prior to my suggestion the aircraft way just fly right through each waypoint and in most cases if you didn't know a waypoint was at a certain point, you would not known a waypoint was even there. Also with it's original setup, only the video function could really be used because of it not stopping. So now it has opened up to both the video a camera formats. You can adjust the amount of pause time it will have at waypoints.

Let me for warn everyone before hand, at least 90%+ of us did not like any part of these new features when we were 1st introduced to them. The POI feature in my opinion is the best of all of them. The Follow Me feature again in my opinion is only good for following a slow moving car as some of the testers actually did. It will not follow you that well while walking around the block or your house ect. My opinion on this is the majority mmay try it once or twice and never use it again. It is very dependent on good gps reception for the device being used, as in your phone or tablet. The Waypoint feature you noticed I left it last and done so for a reason. We told the Beta Admin's on a number of occasions that you guys were going to have High Expectations on this feature with it coming from DJI. With there being a Ground Station in the P2V+, and the fact that DJI has changed the name from Ground Station to now "Intelligent Navigation Modes System" will give the impression that something outstanding is coming their way. But Do Not get your hopes up. The Waypoints two main drawbacks are, as with all these new modes you can not do anything until you have the aircraft in the air. Meaning you can not make up a flight map or flight schedule as most want to do when they think of waypoint setups. You Have To fly the aircraft to the exact spot you want a waypoint at and select record. Then fly to the next waypoint spot and repeat the process. Once you have everything to your liking, you then press to start the mission. It will go through the mission and hover at the last one. And Yes you are going to use up the battery having to do it like this but there is no other option with this system. My favorite thing to do is set up the waypoint like the known cable-cam you may have seen on other setups. But as I say, the POI is the best of the best on this go around. I hear additional modes will come in the future.

So that rounds it up for me. Most important thing I want to cover again is, this app and firmware are really good. We didn't finish the project at 100% and what was remaining could be taken care of by the admin themselves.

Oh...and the reason why this update didn't before now is all because of apple taking their sweet time on approving the iS0 version. As of yesterday it still has yet to be approved to my knowledge. But believe it or not DJI did everything they possibly could to get things taken care of but their hands were tied on this one.

Let me know if you have any questions. :cool:

How is video lag now with the new firmware? Are disconnects still a problem?

Thank you. It's GREAT to have your insight!!!

Can't think of many reasons for flying the same flight over. They should just call it "replay". It's not waypoints.
Really?
For long distances, yes, I don't see the point either.
But for planning dolly like recordings it make sense I think.

I think it will be really helpful for shorter routes, where you'd like to first try out the perspectives and set the way-points, and then just focus on the camera while letting the route play by itself.

Reactions: gfredrone
Really?

I think it will be really helpful for shorter routes, where you'd like to first try out the perspectives and set the way-points, and then just focus on the camera while letting the route play by itself.

There are many reasons to plan a flight and re-run that planned flight, one would be a time elapse video of construction site or just a site that you fly at intervals, with ground stations you plan your flight tweak it and then rerun.

Another is when flying a site for commercial purposes you may do a test run and then run it again with different camera settings (ND filters with or without) and that way you get the best video/photos needed.

Reactions: huntjock
I'll be in Florida with the kids when they release the update. Guess you guys can test it out for me first. Pretty excited though.

Really?

Yes really. There should be a choice to do it either way.

Well maybe with the SDK stuff finally sorted out we will see the good stuff from 3rd party devs without having to use a beta firmware.

Like Ian said, this should just be called auto replay or something similar.
Really?

Reactions: snerd
Time lapse is the only thing I can think of as being useful. For controlled shots, if I can't move the points around and change everything about them, I might as well fly it by hand.

For waypoints to be useful, I would need to program a path, speed, orientation, gimbal tilt with full easing functions. Like a keyframe in a timeline. Hopefully someone does this via the SDK.

Reactions: snerd and huntjock
Maybe I don't fully understand this but does the follow me feature require your device to have a Wifi or Cellular connection? If I use my iPad Air and don't have cellular or connected to wifi will it still work? Do you set the position of the camera, say at a slight angle and the tilt of the camera, and then press follow me and it follows holding that position? Or do you just say follow me and it moves however it needs to in order to keep the tablet centered.

And the real question, when can I wear a device like a watch that it tracks and follows me as opposed to running around holding a giant iPad and controller?

Regardless, I'm excited about POI and all the other updates. :)

For me the interesting features are:
- POI
- 2K video mode.

I own a Advanced, and also would be great also time lapse....
Most at all, i hope the upgrades go without problems like some previous FW`s....

Time lapse is the only thing I can think of as being useful. For controlled shots, if I can't move the points around and change everything about them, I might as well fly it by hand.

For waypoints to be useful, I would need to program a path, speed, orientation, gimbal tilt with full easing functions. Like a keyframe in a timeline. Hopefully someone does this via the SDK.

I really should have read the thread about having to fly to the waypoints first, set them and then re-run your mission, I can see that being a waste. I have been using Litchi for a while now and the ability to build you mission/waypoints, save, fly and tweak is way better than what the new DJI app seems to be coming out with.

Maybe I don't fully understand this but does the follow me feature require your device to have a Wifi or Cellular connection? If I use my iPad Air and don't have cellular or connected to wifi will it still work? Do you set the position of the camera, say at a slight angle and the tilt of the camera, and then press follow me and it follows holding that position? Or do you just say follow me and it moves however it needs to in order to keep the tablet centered.

And the real question, when can I wear a device like a watch that it tracks and follows me as opposed to running around holding a giant iPad and controller?

Regardless, I'm excited about POI and all the other updates. :)
it follows the GPS in your device. No GPS = No Follow me

I just heard others from the beta team were getting the smack down from Ed so I better hook the chain back up. :confused:

How is video lag now with the new firmware? Are disconnects still a problem?

Thank you. It's GREAT to have your insight!!!

No issues. Very stable.

Reactions: DMac
Nfrank,

How would the PoI be flown.. I assume you set a mid point the quad should fly around - how do you set the distance from that point and then the arc you should fly?

/DG

Generally, you position over the target. Then back away straight from that point and stop when you reach the diameter circle you want. Then usually you can select the travel speed you want your aircraft to rotate around.

On RCG, I asked 3 times if this firmware includes full SDK (so we can easily use Litchi/whatever) and I received no answer. I wouldn't get my hopes up.

Looks like I'll stick with Llitchi/Ulitimate flight and the developer firmware they are on now till DJI's public release catch's up.

Glimo, POI on Litchi is acheived a couple ways, but I use the click on the map, set the parameters and wham, POI accomplished.

On RCG, I asked 3 times if this firmware includes full SDK (so we can easily use Litchi/whatever) and I received no answer. I wouldn't get my hopes up.

Poop! :(

For me the interesting features are:
- POI
- 2K video mode.

2K = 1080p.
2.7K is what you're getting (and P3P and Inspire aren't). :(

Looks like I'll stick with Llitchi/Ulitimate flight and the developer firmware they are on now till DJI's public release catch's up.

Glimo, POI on Litchi is acheived a couple ways, but I use the click on the map, set the parameters and wham, POI accomplished.

Guess I need to figure out how Litchi works!

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl