New pilot

Reaction score
So I have hover down, very small movements. This was with all of about 5 minutes of flying. I was keeping things as controlled as possible.
Phantom 3 Pro
Using manual flight (no DJI app)
Started drone, moved joy sticks into the proper corners.
Both up and it hovers.
Commanding the drone seems very intuitive.

Now for the questions. I don't want the DJI app on my phone as I don't trust the company, so I am waiting on a tablet I ordered specifically for this.
The Drone seemed very susceptible to movement by very light winds. This was low to the ground.
The home button seems to land the drone reasonably quickly but not quite emergency down, or Panic land I would want.
I expect the home button to do exactly what it does.

So question 1.
Once the app is installed and paired with the drone, is the drone more resistant to wind? Not bad if it isn't, I just want to know what to expect.

Question 2.
Does the app have an emergency land mode that is any different from the home button.

Question 3.
This thing has been sitting in storage, and has P3X_FW_V01.11.0020 firmware installed. When I connect the app, I see there is a firmware update for every part of this drone. Is there a specific update order I should follow?

Thanks you.

Reactions: BillyN and RodPad
All in the manual. There's a toggle on the remote for flight modes, P (normal) and S (sport) use GPS to position the drone but A (atti) doesn't so wind will move the drone. Once the GO app is installed you will get warning if there are issues with compass, imu, battery, etc. Also camera view for pics and vids.
Have fun

Reactions: RodPad
Just curious. Why the concern for the”emergency down”?
More this is my first drone, so if something were to go awry, I just want to say 'land' and it will lower it self where it is. I am keeping my area of flight very clear outside, but I would like to fly indoors as well.

All in the manual. There's a toggle on the remote for flight modes, P (normal) and S (sport) use GPS to position the drone but A (atti) doesn't so wind will move the drone. Once the GO app is installed you will get warning if there are issues with compass, imu, battery, etc. Also camera view for pics and vids.
Have fun
Just read through the manual. I think the Previous Owner of my drone set the mode to custom. I have to push up on both sticks for lift-off and altitude climb. This might be why I have zero confidence in my skill.

That's kind of what I was thinking, but can I still connect the app without updating?
That would be yes. Updates are not mandatory and should be researched before clicking that button.
I‘ve not had a 3 series phantom so I’m not certain of the settings, but Mode 2 is likely what the controls should be set to.
Research information here. Check the release notes.

The only "emergency down" is doing it manually. You wouldn't want the drone to do that at the press of a button. Depending on where you are flying, there is a good chance that trees, a building, highway, etc. will be directly below the drone. Practice landing it quickly with the sticks. One tip is do not land it quickly straight down as there is sometimes a "vortex effect" that is encountered if the props drop down quickly into the prop wash - causing a stability and lift problem in the disturbed air. Best way to avoid that if you have to descend quickly is to travel downward at a slight angle.

Reactions: pilot2 and RodPad
The only "emergency down" is doing it manually. You wouldn't want the drone to do that at the press of a button. Depending on where you are flying, there is a good chance that trees, a building, highway, etc. will be directly below the drone. Practice landing it quickly with the sticks. One tip is do not land it quickly straight down as there is sometimes a "vortex effect" that is encountered if the props drop down quickly into the prop wash - causing a stability and lift problem in the disturbed air. Best way to avoid that if you have to descend quickly is to travel downward at a slight angle.
Thank you for the tip, I will have a try at this.

That would be yes. Updates are not mandatory and should be researched before clicking that button.
I‘ve not had a 3 series phantom so I’m not certain of the settings, but Mode 2 is likely what the controls should be set to.
Research information here. Check the release notes.
I haven't installed the app yet, also haven't flown the drone since the original test flight. I am considering the crystal sky, it solves a lot of the problems I have with installing the DJI app on my phone. Once connected I will attempt to fly again. Until then, more research.

Crystal Sky controller is a bit overkill.
You could consider an iPad mini 4 or 5. They are far less costly.
Agreed a bit overkill. in the interim, I have found an old Android tablet that is sufficient. If I find I really get into this, the crystalsky will be a definite addition. With the application this thing is much easier to control. The land functionality does exactly what I want. The rest seems to be fairly intuitive. Thanks all for the help.

Why are you starting off like that? Use the GPS - it's there for a reason. Get an iPad mini 4 or 5 (as suggested - a very smart move...it runs DJI Go very efficiently). I'm sorry you don't trust DJI, but the software is excellent. The P3 Pro flies like a champ with it. The wind won't push it around. It flies great in 20mph winds (if you must do that). learning to fly it without the software is pointless. You have no control over the camera settings.... and you would be guessing at the gimbal pitch and yaw movements.

I own many newer model DJI crafts, but I still have my Phantom 3 Pro. It's a workhorse and takes excellent photos and video.

So I am flying with a tablet. It is an old android tablet. I find the craft is far more predictable with it. One thing I am noticing, is the video almost never comes through the tablet. I almost never see it, and the craft is forever complaining about poor signal. Are there anythings I should be doing to rectify this?

I read through this thread twice.
So @Pescobar, would not be able to fly this at all, with out installing Dji-Go (Stupid Name), If he didn't get it second hand?

I use Litchi, the only time I use DJI is to do settings that I cant' do with Litchi.

Did this android tablet come with P3P?
I can't understand how your seeing "poor signal" with a tablet?
Something must be installed in it.
I'm I missing something? :) 👌

Rod ..

I read through this thread twice.
So @Pescobar, would not be able to fly this at all, with out installing Dji-Go (Stupid Name), If he didn't get it second hand?

I use Litchi, the only time I use DJI is to do settings that I cant' do with Litchi.

Did this android tablet come with P3P?
I can't understand how your seeing "poor signal" with a tablet?
Something must be installed in it.
I'm I missing something? :) 👌

Rod ..
Yeah some things are missing :

Order of events:

1. Buy used DJI Phantom 3 Pro
2. Look it over the second time to make sure I didn't get a lemon (Smell no citrus )
3. plug in batteries and make sure controller connects (as indicated by the green light on the controller)
4. Read quickstart guide that came with (No manual, just the guide)
5. Decide not to install DJI GO on my phone as the Chinese Government likely know who I am.
6. Start looking through stashes of stuff to find an old tablet, I can flash and set up an alias account on from a coffee shop.
7. give up and atttempt to fly the drone in manual mode. (bad idea, didn't end horribly)
8. Find old tablet and set it up from the sketchiest internet connection I could. (Strip club free wifi)
9. use the b4ufly app to check some areas where I would like to fly.
10. Head to one of those areas and test fly with the app. (Much better experience)
11. post about poor video signal
12. search about poor video signal
13. perform the magic trick of starting the drone with no SD card installed then install the SD card
14. Had a successful flight with good video quality.

as the Chinese Government likely know who I am.
They really don’t care who you are.
If you step outside of whatever building you occupy, you have just had your picture taken by one of the many weather balloons and satellites that drift by on a regular basis.

Yeah some things are missing :

Order of events:

1. Buy used DJI Phantom 3 Pro
2. Look it over the second time to make sure I didn't get a lemon (Smell no citrus )
3. plug in batteries and make sure controller connects (as indicated by the green light on the controller)
4. Read quickstart guide that came with (No manual, just the guide)
5. Decide not to install DJI GO on my phone as the Chinese Government likely know who I am.
6. Start looking through stashes of stuff to find an old tablet, I can flash and set up an alias account on from a coffee shop.
7. give up and atttempt to fly the drone in manual mode. (bad idea, didn't end horribly)
8. Find old tablet and set it up from the sketchiest internet connection I could. (Strip club free wifi)
9. use the b4ufly app to check some areas where I would like to fly.
10. Head to one of those areas and test fly with the app. (Much better experience)
11. post about poor video signal
12. search about poor video signal
13. perform the magic trick of starting the drone with no SD card installed then install the SD card
14. Had a successful flight with good video quality.
Greetings from Birmingham Alabama USA, welcome to the forum! We look forward to hearing from you!

Looks like you got everything sorted out. Great!
I wouldn't worry about using the Go 4 app or China wanting to track you down. If you have commited a crime in China, they will find you regardless of your drone use :) j/k

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl