New Firmware date is set.

You might feel that way but I have more issues with DJI's apps than Litchi or even Ultimate flight on my nexus 7

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Litchi will have a serious look from me once it's finished and polished. I understand the dedicated feelings from those beta testing it now. As soon as the developer has it setup to receive in a formal way I will buy in.

Careful now I am a future customer, trashing or saying my choice to stay with dji at this time is not productive. :)

Reactions: JBG
I'm surprised they didn't have the foresight to pick a less festive day for a major feature release.

Chinese company doing a world-wide release (if that's what this is) prob couldn't care less about an American holiday. I'm still wondering if "Monday" will be in Chinese time. We could see it Sunday night. at some point.

The 7th eh? This forum is going to explode from all the (drunken):
- help, my phantom won't update
- help, my controller won't update
- help, how do you set way points
- help, POI crashed my bird into a chimneyg
- does the bird need to be on to fly?

Given all the complaints regarding DJI support, I'm surprised they didn't have the foresight to pick a less festive day for a major feature release.

Best to lock it away if celebrating, add in lack of sleep hungover and drinking buddies. :).
Just a regular update has enough troubles.

Reactions: JohnK
Litchi will have a serious look from me once it's finished and polished. I understand the dedicated feelings from those beta testing it now. As soon as the developer has it setup to receive in a formal way I will buy in.

Careful now I am a future customer, trashing or saying my choice to stay with dji at this time is not productive. :)
Well if DJI firmware released on Monday supports SDK apps expect litchi to be released.

It's been a solid app since alpha and for the most part only working on things like camera movements, mission controls, etc.

And for those asking I don't expect the DJI release to hinder what 3rd party guys have done at all.

Its a pretty bold move by DJI to announce a date considering their past history but I am routing for them.

And for those asking I don't expect the DJI release to hinder what 3rd party guys have done at all.

But I do think it will reduce profits, already people are asking for whether the cost of 3rd party apps are worth it and I don't blame them. The 3rd party apps will need to work harder and they'll need support from DJI and the SDK to do it. For example if all you want to do is orbit and follow why buy the 3rd party app now? For those that offer in app purchases for modes may need to rethink and restructure those in app purchases.

Litchi is still Beta because DJI has not yet released a public firmware that fully supports SDK developers. I am hoping they correct this with the upcoming Sept. 7th release. As fare as it being ready for prime time, I recommend you try it out. I have been testing it for some time, and while they have been continually adding new features and responding to the input of the alpha and beta testers, it is very stable and bug free. It is currently only for Android, but it is feature full. I haven't used the DJI app more than once or twice since Go came out. I have been using Litchi almost exclusively.

If you plan on jumping in now, please read over posts in the forum as there is not yet a users manual for the app. Development of features was the priority. A manual will be produced once there is time.

It is, in my opinion, quite ready for prime time and has been for a while. I couldn't be happier with it. We are just waiting for DJI to catch up now.

Litchi seems nervously trying to sell us? When it's reached a final version and not beta I will have a look. It sounds great but its beta meaning really not ready for prime time.

If you live in the mountains and the altitude restriction is a problem for you, you want a third party app. If you are having trouble with video reception and you want your 32 channels of video steaming back without a hack, you want a third party app.

If you are perfectly happy with the way things are and just want basic functions with restrictions and without many options, don't spend the $10 or $11 and stick with DJI Go.

Personally, I don't understand people complaining about the money these developers are charging for their apps. They are putting in 60 and 80 hour weeks doing nothing but developing and then in their spare time, they think of new ideas and watch the forums for feedback. For the small amount of money they are charging to people who have happily laid out $2K to $4k for equipment, I just say, "Your argument is invalid".

Its a pretty bold move by DJI to announce a date considering their past history but I am routing for them.

But I do think it will reduce profits, already people are asking for whether the cost of 3rd party apps are worth it and I don't blame them. The 3rd party apps will need to work harder and they'll need support from DJI and the SDK to do it. For example if all you want to do is orbit and follow why buy the 3rd party app now? For those that offer in app purchases for modes may need to rethink and restructure those in app purchases.

Guess time will tell but I am expecting the DJI to be very limited compared to 3rd party.

If you live in the mountains and the altitude restriction is a problem for you, you want a third party app. If you are having trouble with video reception and you want your 32 channels of video steaming back without a hack, you want a third party app.

If you are perfectly happy with the way things are and just want basic functions with restrictions and without many options, don't spend the $10 or $11 and stick with DJI Go.

Personally, I don't understand people complaining about the money these developers are charging for their apps. They are putting in 60 and 80 hour weeks doing nothing but developing and then in their spare time, they think of new ideas and watch the forums for feedback. For the small amount of money they are charging to people who have happily laid out $2K to $4k for equipment, I just say, "Your argument is invalid".

Money under $20 bucks? you are correct! if someone does not have that in the lint pocket well...
I just find it interesting that all the Litchi talk in a thread in a forum talking about the New DJI release for IOS and ANDROID suddenly bloomed here?
I always follow the Litchi Thread here on the Forums and think it's cool!
It's like Rooting your Phone with CyanogenMod it's not for everyone, and you have a few loops to even get to it, remember we have users that have major troubles just updating firmware.
So when I say when it's ready for Prime time? Documentation, Ease of Acquiring it, Clearly Stating for the P3 in the Play Store, one click download or otherwise it will always be a sort of an Underground thing.

DJI is not perfect but follow their lead and you guys will shine. They make it easy to an extent. :)

Quote a Good one! "They are putting in 60 and 80 hour weeks doing nothing but developing and then in their spare time, they think of new ideas and watch the forums for feedback."

They Need a person that can Sell the product and make it consumable! Developers ( LOVE THEM ) but they are just that. Leaving out that KEY component is not good.

Last edited:
Points taken.

I was speaking to the stability of the app when I was saying it was ready for prime time.

To be fair, DJI has not made it possible yet for any third party developer to offer their product to the masses, since to date, there has been no public firmware release that supports their work.

If that is really about to happen, I believe we will quickly see a change in how much effort goes into marketing and preparing manuals.

The talk about Litchi and other third party apps is in response to people who are saying that they can FINALLY use some of the features they have been waiting for. It seems that they are, or were unaware that those features have been available for some time in third party apps, so to me, it seemed appropriate to bring up that fact here and let people know that not only have these features been available, but that they will be more robust and feature full than what is coming out from DJI.

They are not for everyone. They require jumping through some hoops at the moment, but once DJI releases a firmware that fully supports them, it will be as easy as a trip to the app store (and reading the 'yet to be released' manuals.

Money under $20 bucks? you are correct! if someone does not have that in the lint pocket well...
I just find it interesting that all the Litchi talk in a thread in a forum talking about the New DJI release for IOS and ANDROID suddenly bloomed here?
I always follow the Litchi Thread here on the Forums and think it's cool!
It's like Rooting your Phone with CyanogenMod it's not for everyone, and you have a few loops to even get to it, remember we have users that have major troubles just updating firmware.
So when I say when it's ready for Prime time? Documentation, Ease of Acquiring it, Clearly Stating for the P3 in the Play Store, one click download or otherwise it will always be a sort of an Underground thing.

DJI is not perfect but follow their lead and you guys will shine. They make it easy to an extent. :)

Quote a Good one! "They are putting in 60 and 80 hour weeks doing nothing but developing and then in their spare time, they think of new ideas and watch the forums for feedback."

They Need a person that can Sell the product and make it consumable! Developers ( LOVE THEM ) but they are just that. Leaving out that KEY component is not good.

Reactions: envisionabove
Chinese company doing a world-wide release (if that's what this is) prob couldn't care less about an American holiday. I'm still wondering if "Monday" will be in Chinese time. We could see it Sunday night. at some point.

Release will be 1:00 am Pacific Time Monday

So... for us east-coasters, that should be about 10:00pm Sunday evening, Sept. 6th.

My first "evening flight" ... ! With new FW. Sound's like an accident waiting to happen. Maybe I'll wait until Monday morning and wake up my neighbors!

Reactions: JohnK

Altitude restrictions apply from take of point not altitude from sea level don't they so do not see your point there, how high are these mountains? Not too sure about the channel hack either, pretty sure if you live in the mountains you don’t have too much wifi interference to worry about so you don’t need the channels ;-)

In terms of cost I have beta tested Autoflight Logic and in my opinion it’s worth the money even though the in app purchases stack up and as it’s a version upgrade within the app store people who have already purchased it for their Phantom 2 Visions will get P3 support free of charge.

But as someone has pointed out not everyone wants to spend the same amount of money and by DJI offering an alternative I actually don’t blame the consumers for I actually blame DJI.

They were touting the whole SDK thing since May then on the same day they eventually release the SDK firmware that all these app developers have been waiting for they update DJI GO so that it performs the 2 or 3 things that consumers have actually been waiting for.

That’s not nice.

Why:

1. Follow-me Litchi vs others: Faster speed (doesn't use the SDK's implementation for follow-me.. can go 35 mph vs 22 mph); Can follow you but focus on something else; can follow a 2nd phone rather than controller+phone; can specify a static spot on the map to "follow" and move that spot around; can LEAD or stay to left/right even when you change course; can follow while changing altitude based on the phone's barometer.

2. Orbit: Can place orbit on the map or by flying to the spot; Can automatically control the gimbal pitch to keep focus on the point of interest as you increase or decrease orbit; can save/load prior orbits.

Litchi devs are smart- they know they need to add value to each features to get someone to buy.

Reactions: JBG and SENC

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brianklenhart