New Firmware date is set.

Reaction score
DJI's adding autopilot features to Phantom 3 drones next week

DJI pleased Phantom owners recently when it announced that much-needed autopilot features would be coming to its most popular series of quadcopters, and the Inspire 1. Today, we learn when (September 7th) and how (via a good ole' firmware update). The new flight features include Waypoints (map out a path in advance, and the quad will follow it), Point of Interest (the quad flies around a set object with the camera remaining fixed on it) and Follow Me (you can guess what that does -- only coming to Phantom 3, not Inspire 1). There are also two features specific for the Phantom 3 Standard which make it easier to fly the quadcopter back to you should you lose your orientation -- these are already available on DJI's other craft. Finally, Phantom 3 Advance owners get a nice bonus, with the addition of a 2.7K (2704x1520) camera recording option -- a solid bump up from 1080p.

Last edited:
Reactions: SirAchie
It is going to be interesting now to see how the third party apps differentiate themselves as I assume the firmware upgrade will also support the SDK.

Autoflight Logic have a great app in beta so it is going to be interesting times, I'm looking forward to it!

Weird stuff, mine was nagging me about a firmware update today as well but nothing showing on the website.

A great enhancement. I hope there is some confirmation as to whether this new firmware will finally fully support the SDK developers. From the looks of it, the DJI product will have basic functions, which may be fine for the casual user, but the developers products will be feature-rich giving the user all the bells and whistles they have been asking for during the Alpha and Beta testing modes. Not to mention that some of the third party apps don't have the arbitrary restrictions that the DJI software puts in. They have more video channels, and no altitude restrictions. Seems to me there will be room for everyone in this game.

Reactions: skyhighdiver
Just. Saw that too wow! Lots of beer drinking pilots on labor day equals lots of crash report's. Yikes

Reactions: Monico Garza
I hope we don't see...Coming soon for Android or ISO!
With all the Beta testers I'm sure it's going to be smooth.
Be interesting how the Updates go.

Is this going to change anyone's plans for Labor Day Week End?

Some Links I'm searching for and You Tube Vids.

DJI at IFA 2015 in Berlin | Laurens Drone Blog ( Nothing Yet )
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
( Non English )

DJI FaceBook

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stovebayen