New Firmware date is set.

It has to be both.

The firmware is the operating system that allows the app to take advantage of the new capabilities. But if there is no button to push on the app to enter follow me mode (for example) it is useless even if the firmware allows it to work. You have to have a means to use the features. The app and the firmware both have to be changed in order to get any new features to work.

they can't just update the app, because it would be asking the firmware to do things that it is not programmed to do.

Do you think its going to be a whole firmware update for the P3 or just the DJI Go App?

Reactions: JamesD and D4T_PoM
Think it will be both as the flight info has to be sent to the drone and also the camera firmware will be updated

Thanks for the info.

I think its time to just sit back, relax and wait for the update and see how the update goes with everyone else and then decide if I should update.

Reactions: Mordor
So, everything we were told we'd have.... 3 months ago.

I think DJI has done a great job with the app and it's good to see them finally released what was promised, I hope they will now step up their game and add improvements. Bind those two back buttons to things that are useful, allow a quick change of flight speed (slow/fast), etc. The hardware is there... now its about the software.

DJI has never done a great job with improvements to their app. It seems like they like to kick back and rely on 3rd parties to add really good stuff. Personally, I think the layout of the Go app is much better then anything else I've seen.

Reactions: rrmccabe
I appreciate your enthusiasm, but the same thing was said about the last public Firmware release and it, in fact, did not fully support the SDK apps.

I hope you are right this time, but I would love to hear some official word from someone who has the inside knowledge to give a definite answer.

Almost certainly will support sdk apps.

Reactions: witold
The last firmware didn't have to support a DJI go app which enabled automated flight features. DJI's automated flight features are certainly based on their own sdk.

I appreciate your enthusiasm, but the same thing was said about the last public Firmware release and it, in fact, did not fully support the SDK apps.

I hope you are right this time, but I would love to hear some official word from someone who has the inside knowledge to give a definite answer.

So, everything we were told we'd have.... 3 months ago.

Exactly. And no 2.7K for the P3P. :rolleyes:

But if you feel bad, just think about the Inspire guys. They've been waiting for much longer.

No follow me for inspire either.

Yeah weird...
Inspire remote has built in GPS. P3 adv and pro have NO GPS in the remote and rely on the smart/phone device.
Maybe they couldn't program it or its pointless to follow the pilot (dude with remote) all the time.
I hope DJI has thought it through for follow me. Litchi uses a "Leash" app which pairs another GPS smart device and that becomes the tracked subject.

So follow me must be using dynamic home point set from your mobile device. Hopefully DHP will be available for normal P-mode flying as well, not just IOC modes.

This is great news, can't wait to install it and try it. Unfortunately, I am out of the country working until the 18th sept, so you lucky folk will get all the fun before me. !! Enjoy

True. I am still skeptical, as the last update did support 'some' of the features on the SDK apps, but they were not fully supported. I can see something like that happening again.

I just don't want to shoot myself in the foot and upgrade to the latest and lose the full functionality of the third party apps.

The last firmware didn't have to support a DJI go app which enabled automated flight features. DJI's automated flight features are certainly based on their own sdk.

FYI for those looking for mission planning. This was posted on Facebook by DJI's education director.

Word of Advice from Mr. Romeo, Director of Edu: Intelligent Navigation is currently only as intelligent as the operator. Watch out for trees, power lines, buildings etc. when using Follow Me and Orbit. Not so much of an issue for Way Point, as you first have to actually fly the mission manually and set the way-points.

FYI for those looking for mission planning. This was posted on Facebook by DJI's education director.

Word of Advice from Mr. Romeo, Director of Edu: Intelligent Navigation is currently only as intelligent as the operator. Watch out for trees, power lines, buildings etc. when using Follow Me and Orbit. Not so much of an issue for Way Point, as you first have to actually fly the mission manually and set the way-points.

Just saw that. It's not exactly waypoints as we know them. Disappointing.

Huh? You have to "fly" the mission manually first? Doesn't sound quite right to me ... not sure I will ever have a use for that. Willing to be informed by those with experience and/or strategies in the use of waypoint flying.

Sound more like multi-point cable cam. Any idea if it will set the camera position and pan between waypoints?

So way points is not a true ground station where you can set a pre-flight autonomous mission, BUMMER!
Also no 2.7K for pro doesn't make much sense unless there is some hardware conflict which doesn't seem likely.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31