Maxx VS Terminator. Long distance antenna shootout!

Finally the weekend, I should get a test in tomorrow with my diy terminator View attachment 55221
I've also went ahead and ordered 5.8ghz 2w amp, 20000mah anker power bank and a 5v to 12v step up module:)
Got me some creating to do for 3d printing some kinda holder for all this tech :cool:
Looks professional. Well done. You mite be the next long range guru. If you start selling your designee I would be interested. Thanks for showing. We have a 3 day weekend here. But weather is not helping.

Looks professional. Well done. You mite be the next long range guru. If you start selling your designee I would be interested. Thanks for showing. We have a 3 day weekend here. But weather is not helping.
Same here 3 days possible flying after two weeks no flight time awesome. Thanks for feedback lol I'm still very new to this but learn fast usually.
This is still prototype and will be etched on pcb etc. as soon as I get the results I hope for shame I have to wait till Wednesday for the amps tho bank holiday and all that.
Sleepless night ahead:rolleyes:

OK so battery 2 is on charge, I'm going to do a dbs run and then my diy 2.4 with the 5.8 from the dbs so this should be a good comparison.
I will be on a tripod same direction etc. So no differences other than antennas on the 2.4ghz side.
I've been thinking of a name for it and thought I'd keep it true to the terminator, I have rounded it down to Skynet the company that made the terminator or T-1000 being the better model terminator lol a bit of positive thinking any ideas or preferred give us a vote.
Results will be next looking forward to it:cool::cool:

OK so battery 2 is on charge, I'm going to do a dbs run and then my diy 2.4 with the 5.8 from the dbs so this should be a good comparison.
I will be on a tripod same direction etc. So no differences other than antennas on the 2.4ghz side.
I've been thinking of a name for it and thought I'd keep it true to the terminator, I have rounded it down to Skynet the company that made the terminator or T-1000 being the better model terminator lol a bit of positive thinking any ideas or preferred give us a vote.
Results will be next looking forward to it:cool::cool:
How about naming it Alien....remember the movie, Alien vs Terminator :)
Out of the two you asked about I say T-1000

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Lol nice..i thought it was Alien vs Predator??

The T-1000 is cool..he was the liquid metal one right?..

Preadator would be cool too

Screenshot_2016-05-28-18-17-25.png
Screenshot_2016-05-28-18-16-33.png
OK here we go, I'm impressed so far but I think it could be improved.
Flight 1 dbs mod as standard:
Top distance 7043ft then it rth I did have 2 bar left on 2.4 but was really starting to get choppy I made another attempt by cancelling rth but never really got further.
There are power lines close to this area and I'm sure I get some interference around that point.

Flight 2 dbs mod 5.8ghz with diy terminator 2.4ghz
DSC_0007.JPG
DSC_0006.JPG

I got top distance Of drum roll
10,437ft rth my best yet.
I don't know what the effect using just the 5.8 on the dbs but I definitely was able to cross the power line area and signal picked up at about 8000ft my videos signal dropped to 2 bar after being solid.
9000ft was getting really choppy in and out but overall was kinda doable as it wasn't completely losing connection
Overall I think successful as it's a prototype.
Maybe playing with the space between ground and live as my sticky pads seemed to be coming away from ground, could have effected things.

Last edited:
Lol nice..i thought it was Alien vs Predator??

The T-1000 is cool..he was the liquid metal one right?..

Preadator would be cool too
Yep that's the one

Those are great results seb!!!..for the the first one you made i would be totally excited with that distance...cant wait to see more!!

Reactions: seb evans
Those are great results seb!!!..for the the first one you made i would be totally excited with that distance...cant wait to see more!!
Thanks pro, there's definitely some improvements plus the rth is gonna kick in that's my favorite spot flown it many a time interesting that not using the 2.4 on dbs give it a bit more as in 1000ft

Hey trial and error man..once you start adjusting and testing more its going to be even better!!

Have you done anymore testing onyour 5.8 helical?

View attachment 55278 View attachment 55277 OK here we go, I'm impressed so far but I think it could be improved.
Flight 1 dbs mod as standard:
Top distance 7043ft then it rth I did have 2 bar left on 2.4 but was really starting to get choppy I made another attempt by cancelling rth but never really got further.
There are power lines close to this area and I'm sure I get some interference around that point.

Flight 2 dbs mod 5.8ghz with diy terminator 2.4ghz
View attachment 55275 View attachment 55276
I got top distance Of drum roll
10,437ft rth my best yet.
I don't know what the effect using just the 5.8 on the dbs but I definitely was able to cross the power line area and signal picked up at about 8000ft my videos signal dropped to 2 bar after being solid.
9000ft was getting really choppy in and out but overall was kinda doable as it wasn't completely losing connection
Overall I think successful as it's a prototype.
Maybe playing with the space between ground and live as my sticky pads seemed to be coming away from ground, could have effected things.
Seb maybe another way for the spacers is I seen on ebay Plastic bolts and nuts. That is the old way, we did it with computer boards. and If you look back where I shown some pictures of Cisco panel antenna they were using them.with the plastic bolts you can adjust your space also. Just an Idea.
And nice flight.

Have you done anymore testing onyour 5.8 helical?
Not done anymore yet because I don't have the birdside done to match maybe in the future we'll see ;).
How is your ace antenna doing, yourself/dirtybum got any results had a busy week but don't think I've seen any feedback

Last edited:
Seb maybe another way for the spacers is I seen on ebay Plastic bolts and nuts. That is the old way, we did it with computer boards. and If you look back where I shown some pictures of Cisco panel antenna they were using them.with the plastic bolts you can adjust your space also. Just an Idea.
And nice flight.
This is definitely a good idea, gonna print me some bolts and adjust each flight thanks for the input:)

Not done anymore yet because I don't have the birdside done to match maybe in the future we'll see ;).
How is your ace antenna doing, yourself/dirtybum got any results had a busy week but don't think I've seen any feedback
Im going to try it tmrw in a new place...where I fly sucks because its dense trees and and sunk diwn in a bowl..i usually lose everything at 3000'...i was able to go 4000' in the wrong direction lol..DB got out 10,000' so far on a night flight. Im waiting on my china 2.4's and a Laird 5.8 19dbi to come in

Im going to try it tmrw in a new place...where I fly sucks because its dense trees and and sunk diwn in a bowl..i usually lose everything at 3000'...i was able to go 4000' in the wrong direction lol..DB got out 10,000' so far on a night flight. Im waiting on my china 2.4's and a Laird 5.8 19dbi to come in
10,000 is great and the 3000-4000 seems to be where I got without birdside but I was in fields no obstructions

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
src72