Maxx VS Terminator. Long distance antenna shootout!

I like that! I flew Monday 10mi sitting in the back of my vehicle with the liftgate open. Shouldn't be any issues with it mounted like that.

My first flights with the ItElite MaxxRange Antenna have been underwhelming. These are all from the same spot and in the same direction over open desert as my previous best 14,581 stock with windsurfer.

First try yesterday was very windy, couldn't get to 25 mph on the way out, but did 50 mph on the way back. Started losing signal and turned back at 11,994 ft. out and 222 ft. altitude.

Made two runs this morning before the winds picked up.

First run was to 11,180 ft. out and 398 ft. altitude. Lost signal and had to cancel RTH twice to get that far.
upload_2016-5-26_14-34-20.png

Then I moved to the other side of the dead-end "street" where I takeoff (~20 ft.) and seemed to keep a signal longer, but still not what I was hoping for.

Made it to a new personal best 15,232 ft. out at 355 ft. altitude.

upload_2016-5-26_14-35-19.png

That's on unboosted I assume, not that it should matter because you should get way better range than that w/ that panel! What other panels have you tried rocket? Have you tried other panels were antennas using the same cables that you're using now with the maxx?

That's on unboosted I assume, not that it should matter because you should get way better range than that w/ that panel! What other panels have you tried rocket? Have you tried other panels were antennas using the same cables that you're using now with the maxx?
Unboosted.
I used the Clean Install cable kit on the RC.

Don't have any other panels, but have omni antennas I want to try as-is and also with the windsurfer on it (need a taller windsurfer!). Amazon.com: HUACAM HCM16 2 x 2.4GHz 6dBi Indoor Omni-directional Antenna 802.11n/b/g RP-SMA Female Connector + 2 x 12cm U.FL Mini PCI to RP-SMA Pigtail Antenna WiFi Cable: Computers & Accessories

Also have these patch antennas I bought to use while waiting for the Maxx panel, but have not tried them at this same location yet. Amazon.com: Alfa APA-M25 dual band 2.4GHz/5GHz 10dBi high gain directional indoor panel antenna with RP-SMA connector (compare to Asus WL-ANT-157): Computers & Accessories

Are you starting out real high in that wide open area not that it should matter much at that range, it's just harder to aim when you're 300 feet high, at 2 miles I don't think it should matter though with that antenna. Which made me think you got a bad controller connection on your pigtails or some bad cables.but most of us have had great success with these panels unboosted

Are you starting out real high in that wide open area not that it should matter much at that range, it's just harder to aim when you're 300 feet high, at 2 miles I don't think it should matter though with that antenna. Which made me think you got a bad controller connection on your pigtails or some bad cables.but most of us have had great success with these panels unboosted
It is all downhill, which is why I figured the windsurfer worked so well.
upload_2016-5-26_15-16-48.png

I don't know how steep downhill you're talking but have you flown that stretch before and had success with standard antennas?i'm wondering if your signal isn't getting blocked by the top of the aircraft

Reactions: MasterBlaster
I don't know how steep downhill you're talking but have you flown that stretch before and had success with standard antennas?i'm wondering if your signal isn't getting blocked by the top of the aircraft
I am flying up from the home point, so the aircraft is always above the RC. (Don't do the math for AGL, the terrain drops >300'!)
This is the same spot and direction that I did the 14k run with windsurfer before I moded the RC.

My first flights with the ItElite MaxxRange Antenna have been underwhelming. These are all from the same spot and in the same direction over open desert as my previous best 14,581 stock with windsurfer.

First try yesterday was very windy, couldn't get to 25 mph on the way out, but did 50 mph on the way back. Started losing signal and turned back at 11,994 ft. out and 222 ft. altitude.

Made two runs this morning before the winds picked up.

First run was to 11,180 ft. out and 398 ft. altitude. Lost signal and had to cancel RTH twice to get that far.
View attachment 55146

Then I moved to the other side of the dead-end "street" where I takeoff (~20 ft.) and seemed to keep a signal longer, but still not what I was hoping for.

Made it to a new personal best 15,232 ft. out at 355 ft. altitude.

View attachment 55147
Are you using a manual channel or auto channel? I heard some people were having the poor range or no change in range with this issue on channel 30/31 and if you switch it to auto it should be good..this is what i heard

Are you using a manual channel or auto channel? I heard some people were having the poor range or no change in range with this issue on channel 30/31 and if you switch it to auto it should be good..this is what i heard
I have it on Auto, but the 32 channel hack is installed.
Before I install the hack, I kept it on channel 20 and never had issues. Maybe I will try going back to that too.

FWIW I have the 32ch hack but I keep it on auto. Did 10mi and still had full signal.

I have it on Auto, but the 32 channel hack is installed.
Before I install the hack, I kept it on channel 20 and never had issues. Maybe I will try going back to that too.
FWIW I have the 32ch hack but I keep it on auto. Did 10mi and still had full signal.
Yeah you got something going on with the mod to the remote or the cables themselves ,rocket! If you're doing the same distance before you did the mod and now you got this kick *** panel and can't get that kind of distance that doesn't add up. If it were me I would first start with cables and then I'd start with a different remote. Something has got to give[emoji41]

Reactions: Mark The Droner
Yeah you got something going on with the mod to the remote or the cables themselves ,rocket! If you're doing the same distance before you did the mod and now you got this kick *** panel and can't get that kind of distance that doesn't add up. If it were me I would first start with cables and then I'd start with a different remote. Something has got to give[emoji41]
I have ordered a new set of cables from Jake. Will replace them to see if I screwed up something inside the RC. I did have a problem with the external connectors twisting when I first installed them, so this will eliminate any issues with those cables.

Reactions: dirtybum
Why is the antenna never suspect? I would think if a cable is damaged you wouldn't be getting 15k' distance. It's the antenna I would zero in on as the culprit if you cannot get the range you expect after trying different areas of flight path and confirm you have a clean channel all the way out, while keeping your bit rate at the lowest. Cables are a ***** to mess with and re-mess with and if I were getting that kind of range, albeit not what you're expecting, I would not suspect bad cables. I'd suspect an antenna that is deficient in some way on the inside.

Reactions: dirtybum
I've never noticed it personally, because I fly right by my truck, but I thought flying near a metal object was bad for your reception, I still like it and I'm waiting for one of you to order it and tell me how badass it is
135 bucks is just too expensive.

Finally the weekend, I should get a test in tomorrow with my diy terminator
DSC_0040.JPG

I've also went ahead and ordered 5.8ghz 2w amp, 20000mah anker power bank and a 5v to 12v step up module:)
Got me some creating to do for 3d printing some kinda holder for all this tech :cool:

Sweet! I cant wait to see the results!..what did you use for the reflector on those panels?

Sweet! I cant wait to see the results!..what did you use for the reflector on those panels?
I took the cover off an old freesat box, cut to size and bolted a bit of tin to the back of it after sanding paint off for good connection to solder to.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
palletliquidation