Does anyone try a range test for your new p4p? I did but totally disappointed><"

This reminds me of the first week the P4 came out! Lots of quirks then a update later guys where flying so far out some could not make it back. Remember all you beta testers, it will improve as the P4 did with some updates (then sometimes all hell breaks loose). Tilted gimbal, well get use to it and adjust, most of us have to and that the way it is for now. If I would have listen to all the negative before I got my P4 I would still be flying a syma to the end of my yard then just fall out of the sky. Enjoy the technology we have guys because this is inexpensive for all it does.

My Mavic has better range than my P4. My P4P has better range than my Mavic. I have not done a full on range test on the P4P since I'm breaking in the new high capacity battery. I've gone over 5500 meters with the Mavic. I think the P4P will be greater.

EDIT: Just tested and the P4P had a little less range than the Mavic. Test were done on different days in a very noisy rf environment.

Last edited:
Reactions: ringolong and Meta4
Here's one happy user - he's saying that his P4P goes FURTHER than DJI specs: +++ P4PRO - CE Mode 5.8 KM (3.6 Mi, 19030 ft.) Range +++
This user has also given some interesting numbers on battery life.
http://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=redirect&goto=findpost&ptid=74546&pid=591103&fromuid=10818
It seems the rumours of DJI exaggerating flight times may have been premature?
P-Mode Full Pitch Stick forward: 27 Mins of Flight time ~13% Left on Battery seems pretty good to me.

Oh come on now, I pre ordered a Mavic then canceled to pre ordered a p4p+ .. so now back to the Mavic I guess. January 15 Amazon shows... It was the December 2nd when I cancelled... maybe I'll wait to summer

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

@omniscian the thing is, it could be any number of issues that would cause this. Thinking you have a defective bird is highly unlikely being that you don't have the experience to make this determination. IMO, you should be more concerned with learning how to fly, as opposed to learning how to fly as far away as possible. Download the manual and read through it a few times....because honestly, the material that comes with your quad doesn't come close to explaining all the intricacies of flying this device. Practice practice practice. Watch a ton of how-to YouTube videos and learn everything you can. Then and only then should you work towards flying as far away as you can. Staying within line of sight and learning how to take incredible footage is MUCH more important than flying out 3-4 miles.... especially when you're brand new to the hobby. The issue could be anything from how you have your antennas positioned, to not calibrating it correctly, to being in beginner mode, and the list goes on & on.

Have you tried flying in a different area with less interference?

S5 tap'n

Reactions: kennedye
The way people ping pong based on forum posts is amazing.
Entertaining isn't it.

stephen-colbert-popcorn-gif1.gif

Reactions: Langstonius
Anyone around RC lipos understands you don't fly below 20% unless you want to decrease and damage cells. Again, DJI needs to cut the nonsense about "perfect" situations and give real world numbers. 24-25 min. At 18% is where it's at. 30 is a bit silly.

This user has also given some interesting numbers on battery life.
http://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=redirect&goto=findpost&ptid=74546&pid=591103&fromuid=10818
It seems the rumours of DJI exaggerating flight times may have been premature?
P-Mode Full Pitch Stick forward: 27 Mins of Flight time ~13% Left on Battery seems pretty good to me.

I order the P4P, personally I think testing range may very a lot depending on locations and like other people commented before there is always all kind of issues when it comes down to electronics, examples: karma drone, Samsung galaxy Note 7, the phantom 4 at the beginning no matter what it is there is always that something. Now if we talk about improvements the P4 is not a huge improvement over the phantom 3 professional in my opinion just a couple optical sensor and a slightly improvement in the camera, P4P is not a big improvement over the P4 as well, other than the camera so maybe the P5 will add more sensors and keep the same camera with a little bit of improvements, for those who are waiting for the P5 because is gonna be better than the P4P why don't wait for the P5P or the P6 or the P10 which I'm sure is gonna be better that any of the previous phantom series, wait why not to wait for the Mavic pro 3 my point is if you can buy it just do it because if we wait and wait obviously what is coming next is gonna be better and the chain will never be break up that's how fast is technology growing up.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

Anyone around RC lipos understands you don't fly below 20% unless you want to decrease and damage cells. Again, DJI needs to cut the nonsense about "perfect" situations and give real world numbers. 24-25 min. At 18% is where it's at. 30 is a bit silly.
Which particular real world situation should DJI quote?
Your back yard, mine, downtown Shenzen?
Every location is different so if they used anything other than a clean interference-free site, their figures would be meaningless.
By showing you what it is capable of in optimum conditions, (almost) everyone has an understanding of what is possible.

How's the manufacturer's quoted fuel economy for your car calculated?
How does that compare to real world use?

Reactions: jetforce
Every location is different so if they used anything other than a clean interference-free site, their figures would be meaningless.
By showing you what it is capable of in optimum conditions, (almost) everyone has an understanding of what is possible.

I know Hyundai had to pay for the difference after over stating fuel economy with some of it's cars so maybe that is not the best example.

Compensation Information - Hyundai MPG Information

Reactions: Got Aerial
I order the P4P, personally I think testing range may very a lot depending on locations and like other people commented before there is always all kind of issues when it comes down to electronics, examples: karma drone, Samsung galaxy Note 7, the phantom 4 at the beginning no matter what it is there is always that something. Now if we talk about improvements the P4 is not a huge improvement over the phantom 3 professional in my opinion just a couple optical sensor and a slightly improvement in the camera, P4P is not a big improvement over the P4 as well, other than the camera so maybe the P5 will add more sensors and keep the same camera with a little bit of improvements, for those who are waiting for the P5 because is gonna be better than the P4P why don't wait for the P5P or the P6 or the P10 which I'm sure is gonna be better that any of the previous phantom series, wait why not to wait for the Mavic pro 3 my point is if you can buy it just do it because if we wait and wait obviously what is coming next is gonna be better and the chain will never be break up that's how fast is technology growing up.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots
Yep same here, I'm still waiting for the perfect car! Well got to go feed my horses now because those cars are not perfect yet, Every company will give use the best score they ever attained in perfect conditions, WE KNOW THAT !. So dji pushed there product out faster than they can deliver, be thankful because many would be returning their karma about now, this way you haven't spent your money on a product that isn't as good as the one your about to get.

Reactions: tml4191

I'm pretty sure DJI was on a smaller planet when they measured their flight times, or maybe a wind tunnel. I'm still looking for the zerk fitting on the craft to fill it up with helium so it's lighter. Somehow I know this craft will do 30min....Hah! Maybe two dozen party balloons attached to the top would help. :D

Somehow I know this craft will do 30min....Hah!
These things have only been out a couple of days and we've already seen one user (Post #103 above) report:
P-Mode Full Pitch Stick forward: 27 Mins of Flight time ~13% Left on Battery.
Why is it so hard to believe DJI's figures in their specs?

These things have only been out a couple of days and we've already seen one user (Post #103 above) report:
P-Mode Full Pitch Stick forward: 27 Mins of Flight time ~13% Left on Battery.
Why is it so hard to believe DJI's figures in their specs?

I get 22min flight times when landing at 15% battery left, on a good day when not flying sport mode. Dji claims 28min, ~20% off. The new battery is 10% more mah. I expect 24-25 min at 15% battery left. I'm betting I'll be closer to reality than they are.

Full stick forward in p mode with oa enabled= 17mph. Maybe 27min, I'll have to try it, but who runs down to 13%?. Even 15% is rough on batteries.

I'm ok with 25, it's just annoying they always get it wrong. I poke fun at their estimates because it's an easy target with flawed data.

Fly often, be safe

Reactions: hidaven
DJI: the company that drone enthusiasts love to hate.

In my opinion, all other companies, for the past 4 years, are fighting for 2nd place behind DJI. Yes, DJI's customer service often crosses the border of pathetic; so what's new?

BTW, I've seen at least 2 videos already of people adjusting the horizon angle "on the fly" with the P4P. I can't really understand the great concerns over horizon tilt as I've never flown a Phantom on which it cannot be remedied easily. I have, though, seen examples of severe horizon tilt which I have been fortunate never to experience myself.

Last edited:
Come on Meta, most of us MAYBE got 24 min in avg flight conditions. That's a real world number and this P4P seems to be heavier than the P4 which might offset the higher Mah capacity of the new battery.. This reminds me of the "watts" race back in the 80's hifi race. Or the MP current digital camera race. DJI shouldn't be hyping the number flying in a "perfect" scenario. Heres another example big guy. The oldest man was 116 years old, do we tout that as an indication of what you can expect? No we do not, the avg. man lives to be 74 years old. That's the actuality and the reference number to be used. As stated, you shouldn't deplete the pack below 20%. Who gives a rats booty about what the extreme unlikely example is??? You can EXPECT 24 min. of flight time, you can EXPECT that the side sensors are only effective in beginner mode, you can EXPECT that the distance is on par with the P3/ P4. Still a great quad and peerless in the industry, but lets get real with reality IMO. Another gripe is the hyped 4k60fps. Video is garbage compared to 4k24fps and possible 30fps. Not enough data rate so the video is compromised. The solution is found on my pre ordered Inspire 2 with the SSD onboard. transfer rate over 300mbs. THATS true 4k60fps. People shouldn't have to be as educated about these things as some of us are, we want to take the companies word that what they purport is indeed very close to reality.

Last edited:
Reactions: StevenQX and morph1
The last time I checked, DJI DOES recommend OCCASIONALLY discharging the batteries down to where they will no longer allow the aircraft to take off, which is around 8% if I recall.

I do not expect DJI to provide data based on anything other than close to complete discharge of the battery. It's understood that some want data that is repeatable each and every flight, but c'mon, how many iterations of Phantoms will it take before you realize that they're going to provide data based on optimal conditions and using the full charge of the battery? That's what they do, and you should know by now to interpolate for conditions in the real and flawed world. The current latest and greatest Phantom can't be legitimately criticized for the fact that DJI rates the life of the battery the same way they've done with every single previous Phantom.

Deduct 25-30% from DJI's stated battery times, and you'll get real world figures. Those who have flown previous Phantoms know this, even if some are in denial. For those who haven't flown Phantoms before, now you know.

Last edited:
Reactions: Meta4

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brianklenhart