Does anyone try a range test for your new p4p? I did but totally disappointed><"

Just name one company anywhere that advertises in a complete accurate way. Auto fuel efficiency is measured under ideal conditions on a smooth track with constant speed, No AC on, windows closed and a tailwind if possible. Why are you not complaining of auto manufacturers forums that you have been missled and their 22 mpg "promise" only comes out to 19 on the roads you drive.

Manufacturers will always give you info on what the product will do under ideal controlled circumstances, it's up to you to figure out what that means based on your own circumstances and conditions.

Real world results are what Consumer Reports is for.

For me, the superiority of the 20 megapixel camera with 1" sensor on the P4P is worth the price difference all by itself, even though I'm someone who flies solely for fun with no thought of profit. (YouTube does inform me that I've got something like 19 cents coming my way, though! :))

I've also seen it said in this thread God-know-how-many-times that the avoidance system of the P4P will only work in beginner and tripod modes. Yet, the info on the DJI site says that it will work up to 31 mph, which means a lot more than those two modes. Gripe gripe gripe.

I've also seen it said in this thread God-know-how-many-times that the avoidance system of the P4P will only work in beginner and tripod modes. Yet, the info on the DJI site says that it will work up to 31 mph......

The front and rear avoidance works to 31mph, but the side IR avoidance system does not. It must be in tripod or beginner mode, which is really slow.

Fly often, be safe

The front and rear avoidance works to 31mph, but the side IR avoidance system does not. It must be in tripod or beginner mode, which is really slow.

Fly often, be safe
Yeah, OK, so the P4P does things that no previous Phantom has been able to do, but it doesn't do everything that no previous Phantom has been able to do. Wait for the Phantom 7 Pro. It's going to have a top speed of 120 mph and completely fool-proof obstacle avoidance, with a battery life of 2 hours (only an hour and a half in real conditions though.)

Reactions: Daryl Stewart
Yeah, OK, so the P4P does things that no previous Phantom has been able to do, but it doesn't do everything that no previous Phantom has been able to do. Wait for the Phantom 7 Pro.
Screw that, I'm waiting for the P8. It will fix all the problems of the P4, 5, 6, and 7.

Reactions: Bigbells
Come on Meta, most of us MAYBE got 24 min in avg flight conditions. That's a real world number and this P4P seems to be heavier than the P4 which might offset the higher Mah capacity of the new battery.. This reminds me of the "watts" race back in the 80's hifi race. Or the MP current digital camera race. DJI shouldn't be hyping the number flying in a "perfect" scenario. Heres another example big guy. The oldest man was 116 years old, do we tout that as an indication of what you can expect? No we do not, the avg. man lives to be 74 years old. That's the actuality and the reference number to be used. As stated, you shouldn't deplete the pack below 20%. Who gives a rats booty about what the extreme unlikely example is??? You can EXPECT 24 min. of flight time, you can EXPECT that the side sensors are only effective in beginner mode, you can EXPECT that the distance is on par with the P3/ P4. Still a great quad and peerless in the industry, but lets get real with reality IMO. Another gripe is the hyped 4k60fps. Video is garbage compared to 4k24fps and possible 30fps. Not enough data rate so the video is compromised. The solution is found on my pre ordered Inspire 2 with the SSD onboard. transfer rate over 300mbs. THATS true 4k60fps. People shouldn't have to be as educated about these things as some of us are, we want to take the companies word that what they purport is indeed very close to reality.
Not really sure why your so upset over a couple of minutes battery time being misquoted by DJI. Gas mileage is the same way isn't it? LOL. But I'm glad your getting an Inspire 2 with the SSD onboard man. Hope this one makes you a happy camper in every single way!

Regarding props showing when at high speed or when tilting into the breeze/wind, flying in reverse does a pretty respectable job of reducing that to a great degree. I know there are legitimate reasons why that might not be an acceptable solution in professional photography situations, but for those of you like me who are flying unprofessionally, :cool: it's a good jerry-rig-type fix.

Angling the camera more downward, below "straight-ahead", also decreases prop visibility, for obvious reasons. I seldom fly with the camera pointed straight ahead, finding that I often like the horizon to be in the top of the video or not visible at all... again, that might not be acceptable to some.

Last edited:
Deduct 25-30% from DJI's stated battery times, and you'll get real world figures. Those who have flown previous Phantoms know this, even if some are in denial. For those who haven't flown Phantoms before, now you know.

Yeah, and we can deduct 25% off of the published top speed of 22mph when flying with OA enabled too! Mine struggles to reach 17mph in calm conditions. We know the P4 can fly 22mph easily, because it can do 42mph, easily. So why can't it simply go 22mph with OA enabled, like when when I enable RTH? With OA enabled the craft flies exactly 22mph when I eable RTH to go home, and it attains 22mph pretty quick. But when flying in P mode with OA enabled it takes FOREVER to reach 17mph, much less 22mph. I don't understand this limitation flaw. 25% off.

At this rate DJI should be advertising 52mph sport mode speeds for P4P because 25% less is 42mph, what it can really do, easily.

Ya gotta love the DJI marketing folks. I wonder if they throw darts at a board to get these numbers. I'm sure some of you are going to be offended with my sarcasm, so I'm sorry.

DJI still makes the best drones in the world!

Last edited:
Reactions: hidaven
The last time I checked, DJI DOES recommend OCCASIONALLY discharging the batteries down to where they will no longer allow the aircraft to take off, which is around 8% if I recall
I actually ran one of my batteries on my P3P all the way down to zero lol, as a matter of fact believe it or not the P3P flew about 1 minute after reaching 0% which was unbelievable , I planned to run it down low in tall grass to cause a complete craft drop and I succeeded... I flew it aggressively till 1% battery left and the craft held in the air...

Obviously your not well read on lipos. Only a foolish company would do testing down to 3-4% as no one in their right mind would fly that low!
Your example is flawed as the discharge is not to be done while the craft is flying, only grounded. If you fly your lipo below 10% it could quit at any time. its happened. So let DJI start posting avg. real world numbers flying the pack down to a given charge state! Your not grasping this AVG. process, Oh wait, much like gas estimates for auto mileage. NO ONE gives ideal conditions, just an AVERAGE of what you can expect. Don't try to defend this position of yours as I can give example after example as to its weakness. No one should ASSUME from a past purchase that we can expect 25% LESS. What if this is someone's first bird???

The last time I checked, DJI DOES recommend OCCASIONALLY discharging the batteries down to where they will no longer allow the aircraft to take off, which is around 8% if I recall.

I do not expect DJI to provide data based on anything other than close to complete discharge of the battery. It's understood that some want data that is repeatable each and every flight, but c'mon, how many iterations of Phantoms will it take before you realize that they're going to provide data based on optimal conditions and using the full charge of the battery? That's what they do, and you should know by now to interpolate for conditions in the real and flawed world. The current latest and greatest Phantom can't be legitimately criticized for the fact that DJI rates the life of the battery the same way they've done with every single previous Phantom.

Deduct 25-30% from DJI's stated battery times, and you'll get real world figures. Those who have flown previous Phantoms know this, even if some are in denial. For those who haven't flown Phantoms before, now you know.

No one should ASSUME from a past purchase that we can expect 25% LESS. What if this is someone's first bird???
Like I said already, that's what you and I are here for; to let those new to Phantoms know that they will not get as much battery life as stated.

Can you show me a manufacturer's car mileage figures that are not higher than what is obtained in real world conditions? Here's a good article on how the mileage figures are developed for cars sold in the US: http://jalopnik.com/how-fuel-economy-is-measured-and-why-you-get-different-1716232721

I don't know if DJI's Intelligent Flight Batteries are designed to read 0% before they're actually dangerously depleted, but it's likely, considering that the majority of self-regulating lipo batteries are designed that way. This is done with circuitry built in to the battery, circuitry built in to the device in which the battery is used, or both. As a vaper, I've become familiar with these properties. The batteries I use in my vaping devices are 4.2 volts when fully charged, but they will not operate below 3.2 volts. When they get down to 3.2 volts, the remaining battery life reads as 0.

DJI also contradicts itself regarding running a battery down to very low percentage of capacity. In one place DJI says "this can be done by using your aircraft until the battery is depleted". In another place on the same page DJI says "land your aircraft immediately when the low battery level warning activates in the DJI Go app."

On a different but previously discussed subject, here is a 2-second video showing the transition between 4GB files on a flight, even though the 64GB micro-SD card is formatted in the exFAT file system. Not smooth, not seamless.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Just replied to your other post. The transmission signal sucks compared to the Occusync in the mavic. 5.8ghz is meant for greater bandwidth within 300M. otherwise you need 2.4ghz which is nowhere near as good as the new Occusync. Why DJI dumbed down this P4P AND the new Inspire is beyond me........I'm most likely sending mine back. How you put a degraded transmission tech. in a newer much more expensive quad is absurd. let them start taking returns and loosing money and then maybe we will see an improved P5. Until then, mines going back and I'm listing that as a major reason.
That's why I wasn't so quick to buy one, everybody had to have the latest and greatest without testing the waters

Yeah, and we can deduct 25% off of the published top speed of 22mph when flying with OA enabled too! Mine struggles to reach 17mph in calm conditions. We know the P4 can fly 22mph easily, because it can do 42mph, easily. So why can't it simply go 22mph with OA enabled, like when when I enable RTH? With OA enabled the craft flies exactly 22mph when I eable RTH to go home, and it attains 22mph pretty quick. But when flying in P mode with OA enabled it takes FOREVER to reach 17mph, much less 22mph. I don't understand this limitation flaw. 25% off

You forgot to mention yours is the only one that does this or known to do this.

He also forgets to mention all of the reports of long range when mentioning short range reports. But there is a lot of that sort of amnesia going around on the forum. ;)

You forgot to mention yours is the only one that does this or known to do this.
I don't think I'm alone on this bug. It's something that a few others have mentioned when asked. I hope I am alone, but I think most people do the same thing I've done, rarely use OA and just accept the slow speed. I started calling my P4 OA mode "Tripod Mode", because it's useful for that purpose, and only that purpose.

I have started another thread about this for P4P, asking if it actually does 32mph with OA enabled. Maybe someone has confirm this enhancement.

I don't think I'm alone on this bug. It's something that a few others have mentioned when asked. I hope I am alone, but I think most people do the same thing I've done, rarely use OA and just accept the slow speed. I started calling my P4 OA mode "Tripod Mode", because it's useful for that purpose, and only that purpose.

I have started another thread about this for P4P, asking if it actually does 32mph with OA enabled. Maybe someone has confirm this enhancement.

True, I never use OA.

As long as we're mentioning things for new Phantom flyers to be aware of, here's another:

(Edit: My original statement deleted due to it being incorrect.)

Last edited:
He also forgets to mention all of the reports of long range when mentioning short range reports. But there is a lot of that sort of amnesia going around on the forum. ;)
Not really, I'm keeping tabs, waiting and waiting for more detailed info.

There just no consistent pattern of happiness from former P3P owners when flying P4P yet. Many reports offer no detail about environment, or their experience, what settings they use, etc. Some people fly auto channel, some prefer custom channel and 4mbps settings to maximize range, like me. That detail is left out, and these settings do effect range.

If someone is reporting bad P4 range results, it could very well be their inexperience, not having LOS, trees, wrong settings, etc. Those that are providing better range result could be in nowhereland, with absolutely no RF interference (over water, in the desert) These details are important for relevant comparison. I wish everyone would provide a photo of the terrain they are testing over.

From what I can assess so far is the P4P is similar in range to P4/GL300C, not any better. Am I wrong? In my book this kind of range is unacceptable to be adequate (in the DJI world of expectations). As you may know I had to resort to the Inspire controller to be happy, getting 2+mi range, reliably. My P4/GL300C could sqeak out 3mi with windsurfer, but that was in the middle of nowhereland. In other areas in So. Calif, such as the beach, hills, away from homes but still in So Calif, the same P4/GL300C would disconnect at 3000 or 4000' on a regular basis, with windsurfer, worse without. Then flying my P3P on the same day at the same place I could easily go 2mi. The P4/ GL300C is no comparison my P3P/GL300A (stock controllers with windsurfer) when it comes to signal strength and connection integrity. With the Inspire GL658A controller the P4 acts just like my P3P, wonderful range.

I'd love buy P4P with the new camera, I want the camera..... but not unless I can go 2 to 3mi, reliably. Yes, I do realize RF interference can hinder this, I'm referring to relatively quiet areas I always fly, for a fair comparison.

I really don't want to go down the boosted route to get the same distances that past Phantom's have provided. I don't think I'm expecting a lot. I'm not a distance junkie going 4 and 5 miles like others have been able to do with amps and antenna mods (although I think that's very impressive). I just want a workable range of 2 to 3mi, with windsurfer, that's all. I don't consider windsurfer a mod, since it slips over the antennas, easy to store, no batteries required, etc.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers