Does anyone try a range test for your new p4p? I did but totally disappointed><"

Have you tried switching between 5.8 and 2.4?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yeah I did, it improves it by like 20m but doesn't really make much difference. The modes are set to "Auto" and I can't pick a "custom" channel in the app as it's greyed out.

Yes, been in the hobby for 30 years. tried every and all parameter changes. I have the Mavic, P4, and P3 and Inspire. My comments aren't coming out of left field. I even did the channel hack on the P3 (which helped) No question, the Occusync is a better choice bar none. This P4P is no better than the standard P3 which is fine, but DJI claiming an improvement is mis leading for sure. Its not bad at all, and perfectly fine if you stay around a mile or so unless you are flying in the Sahara when no human signals are around, but in urban areas where we all live most of the time. the range is nowhere near whats purported. So increased range should NOT be the reason you move to the P4P. Also as stated, the side sensors are useless in "P" mode which is absurd. WHo flies on a daily basis in tripod mode?????

Hi, Im having real trouble with range on my P4P. This is my first drone and I'm an utter noob so I'm assuming its me rather than anything else. I'm currently trying it in a residential area (town more than city) but I can't get more than 300m out of my P4P before the signal dies and returns home, Ive changed the settings in the app to allow max distance so I don't think its limited by anything. There's only houses near by, no towers or office blocks or anything. Any help would be appreciated.
There are a lot of variables that can affect distance performance.
Apart from the local environment and interference, the most important is correct antenna orientation.
Optimum signal is achieved by having the flat side of the antennas parallel to and facing the Phantom's legs.

This is just like the 30 min battery claim, no way. I got an avg of 24-25 min from several flights. Mild ones too, nothing close to 30 min. DJI needs to stop with the "ideal" nonsense and do some real world numbers. facts not marketing mumbo jumbo unless we are going to fly our packs down to 2%.....lol.

Reactions: StevenQX
Meta4, I get your perspective, I do. I'm just whining about the increased performance claim, its not there. I'm sure someone will get 7km in perfect conditions, I did it with my P3. My point is that the Occusync IS BETTER. And for 1800.00 it should have been the choice for transmission signal as it isolates much better than the current P4P/ Inspire setup.

This P4P is no better than the standard P3 which is fine, but DJI claiming an improvement is misleading for sure.
The P4P is miles better than any P3.
For a start there's the camera and battery life before you look at the extra technology in the app.
You are making a huge deal out of your range. How many locations have you tried it in?
You keep saying the Mavic is lots better. Have you done back to back flights with the two drones to compare them in the same environment at the same time?

Its not bad at all, and perfectly fine if you stay around a mile or so unless you are flying in the Sahara when no human signals are around, but in urban areas where we all live most of the time. the range is nowhere near whats purported
Really? Are you sure about that?
What DJI claims is:
Max Transmission Distance2.400 GHz - 2.483 GHz(Unobstructed, free of interference)
FCC: 4.3mi (7km);
CE: 2.2mi (3.5km);
SRRC: 2.5mi (4 km)
5.725 GHz - 5.825 GHz(Unobstructed, free of interference)
FCC: 4.3mi (7km);
CE: 1.2mi (2 km);
SRRC: 2.5mi (4 km)

I don't see DJI claiming any level of performance for the particular urban area you are flying in.
Until you test somewhere that is Unobstructed, free of interference you can't say "the range is nowhere near whats purported"

Reactions: Carltonart
Guys, if you're having trouble with range, give this link a look: Maxx UAV

I made it for the antennas I sell, but it's the same idea with stock antennas. The stock antennas are also linear polarized. Make sure you have your antennas 90 degrees from the ground and straight up. 5.8 will be worse at penetration than 2.4, but 5.8 has less interference, so try both and see which one works better for you. If you're flying behind physical objects such as trees or houses, your signal is going to drop. Think about a home router, its tough for it to reach beyond a two stories in a house. Same idea with the P4P.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Meta4, I get your perspective, I do. I'm just whining about the increased performance claim, its not there.
Which increased performance claim would that be?
They are claiming that it can go 7km in a clean area.
We've seen someone already make 6.2km with an old P4 battery so it seems quite likely that 7km is achievable.
I can't see how you can claim that the P4 is a dud or that DJI have been misleading because (you say) your Mavic penetrated interference even better.

Not a troll
WTH.jpg

Meta4 you might as well give up. Every new model introduction has 'that guy' and there is no point in debating.

As for anyone 'waiting for the P5', surely you realize that you are going to see the exact same noise on the forums when people realize it has the same teething issues as every new model, and that no, a $1500 drone is not a Global Hawk or a $20k+ professional production camera. Maybe best to wait for the P6.

Reactions: Meta4
^ Ignorant statement. There are NOT "teething issues" its a choice to use an inferior transmission signal over the better Occusync. What cant you comprehend regarding that statement??? This P4P goes NO FURTHER than the P3. I have them ALL. Ive tested them all along the same pathway. My beef is DJI's claim that the range has IMPROVED. Can you digest what I'm saying? The Occusync does a MUCH better job at isolating the signal from noise and stray signals. Ive now tested 4 different models along 3 exact same pathways. The P4P scores lowest every time. Others are reporting similar experiences.....NOT flying over a lake in some obscure remote location where they ALL perform well including the P3. I can try Spanish if this isn't working Smiller........

^ Ignorant statement. There are NOT "teething issues" its a choice to use an inferior transmission signal over the better Occusync. What cant you comprehend regarding that statement??? This P4P goes NO FURTHER than the P3. I have them ALL. Ive tested them all along the same pathway. My beef is DJI's claim that their claim that the range has IMPROVED. Can you digest what I'm saying? The Occusync does a MUCH better job at isolating the signal from noise and stray signals. Ive now tested 4 different models along 3 exact same pathways. The P4P scores lowest every time. Others are reporting similar experiences.....NOT flying over a lake in some obscure remote location where they ALL perform well including the P3. I can try Spanish if this isn't working Smiller........

Ok. We get that you are not happy with the p4p. No reason to go on and on.
Unknown.jpg

And enough with the "troll" stupidity. Ive spent more money with DJI than 99% of its customers. I love the Mavic (for what it is) and the P4. I use the Inspire for professional work so YES, I'm a DJI fan boy.......I just expect some reality in their claims and will question them for using a sub par means to transmit vs the improved Occusync method. By the way, the Occusync that's available in a cheaper aircraft unless I shouldn't expected such for my 1800.00?

Reactions: Got Aerial
Last one from me on this because you're just being obtuse.
This P4P goes NO FURTHER than the P3.
My beef is DJI's claim that their claim that the range has IMPROVED.
But the P4P does go further than the P3.
Get out of your one particular interference ridden flying spot and run some proper tests.
The range is improved. .. It goes further than the P3 and P4.
Further = improvement.
NOT flying over a lake in some obscure remote location where they ALL perform well including the P3.
And in that environment the P4P will go further.
An interference free location is what DJI have used to come up with the figure in the specs - not your backyard or any other location with it's own problems.
An interference free spot is the only way you can get a figure that is useful for comparison.

Reactions: pricey4907
That's my point, in most real world situations the occusync does a better job isolating the stray signals.....Its in their own marketing material! lol And did that one happy user compare the mavic at his location like I did? They ALL go far in remote areas, not the same as flying further with stray signals like most of us encounter.
Why not answer the 100k question? Why did DJI pass on the better more reliable Occusync setup (in nosier surroundings) in a craft costing more money?

Last one from me on this because you're just being obtuse.

But the P4P does go further than the P3.
Get out of your one particular interference ridden flying spot and run some proper tests.
The range is improved. .. It goes further than the P3 and P4.
Further = improvement.

And in that environment the P4P will go further.
An interference free location is what DJI have used to come up with the figure in the specs - not your backyard or any other location with it's own problems.
An interference free spot is the only way you can get a figure that is useful for comparison.

Heres another......No complaints regarding the increased(verifiable) resolution of the camera.

Attachments

• DJI_0004.jpg
    DJI_0004.jpg
    4.8 MB · Views: 590
Reactions: Erised and Meta4
The Occusync does a MUCH better job at isolating the signal from noise and stray signals.
Whether you realize it or not, you do not have enough information to make a declarative statement like that in the absence of engineering information and test equipment, and on the basis of testing with a single unit. And the number of exclamation points in a post doesn't count as data.

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl