Does anyone try a range test for your new p4p? I did but totally disappointed><"

PS, Meta4, the game changer is the H.365 codec for video. BIG increase in color, saturation, resolution. Bigger than the 4k60fps claim. That codec is a game changer. Its a very competent quad, my only rant is the range and battery life in common real world conditions. 24 min battery life and similar range of previous editions.

Not 100% so smiller but enough trial and errors to make a informed decision. The occusync does a better job when it comes to isolating the signal based on my experiments. I'm sure ohers who have both will chime in soon enough......Who knows, I could have a dud, doubt it but its possible. Lets see if others with both notice the decrease. Question, why does a company release a drone touting the improved range and signal isolation with a new occusync system, only to NOT use it in the very next Phantom edition??? Does that make any sense? If its better than its better. right? Not sure whos going out on a limb from DJI to explain that........

Whether you realize it or not, you do not have enough information to make a declarative statement like that.

Lynn Phan shared this on fb.

15235406_10209964663605698_7727211896721207736_o.jpg

Question, why does a company release a drone touting the improved range and signal isolation with a new occusync system, only to NOT use it in the very next Phantom edition??? Does that make any sense?
It might make perfect sense, if we knew why DJI made the decision. There could be many reasons... Occusync could be optimized for low latency for FPV goggles and other recreational drone uses while Lightbridge might be more appropriate for the Phantom series given its feature set and emphasis on photo missions, who knows. Bottom line is that we really don't know why they thought Lightbridge was more appropriate and neither do you.

Last edited:
Reactions: pricey4907
Agreed. Let's get some additional input from others who have multiple quads. 5.8ghz is for robust transmission within 300m. Just like your home wifi. Would love to have a D JI techie educate me on what they did with occu sync.

5.8GHz is for better transmission on close distances. 2.4GHz is for long distances with less quality. P4P is still a P4 but with a camera and hardware to record vastly improved, the rest of the improvements are welcome for free.

Check how much costs a RX100... this is a P4 with a Sony RX100 on it. Enough argument to buy one. I don't need go further than a P4, I need THE BEST QUALITY OF VIDEO AND STILLS, because is a product made for that, and not for deploy products in houses at 15km.

Photos and videos in H265 4k 30FPS from P4P are STUNNING, and when compare they with the Mavic or P4 or Inspire x3 quality, is like compare photo by smartphone and another with a DSLR. Only the camera is a real game changer!!!

Enviado desde mi Nexus 6P mediante Tapatalk

Reactions: Meta4 and Ed Oz
No argument there. The camera has the same sensor as my Sony RX100 Mk4. 12 stops of DR PLUS the almighty H.365 codec. The camera is a game changer, video is a little different but I wont get into that. My concern was all about the range and flight times. I think it was a bit misleading. Lastly, the side sensors aren't functional in real world usage. Tripod and beginner modes don't quite cut it IMO. But you are spot on regarding the camera. Now also take note that the P4P has WAYYYYYYYY LESS lens flare than the Mavic! Wayyyyyyyy less. The Mavic is horrible regarding lens flare. The camera in the P4P is fantastic, mechanical shutter and control over depth of field. try the new H.365 codec in MP4 and be prepared for your mouth to drop : )

5.8GHz is for better transmission on close distances. 2.4GHz is for long distances with less quality. P4P is still a P4 but with a camera and hardware to record vastly improved, the rest of the improvements are welcome for free.

Check how much costs a RX100... this is a P4 with a Sony RX100 on it. Enough argument to buy one. I don't need go further than a P4, I need THE BEST QUALITY OF VIDEO AND STILLS, because is a product made for that, and not for deploy products in houses at 15km.

Photos and videos in H265 4k 30FPS from P4P are STUNNING, and when compare they with the Mavic or P4 or Inspire x3 quality, is like compare photo by smartphone and another with a DSLR. Only the camera is a real game changer!!!

Reactions: Ed Oz
No argument there. The camera has the same sensor as my Sony RX100 Mk4. 12 stops of DR PLUS the almighty H.365 codec. The camera is a game changer, video is a little different but I wont get into that. My concern was all about the range and flight times. I think it was a bit misleading. Lastly, the side sensors aren't functional in real world usage. Tripod and beginner modes don't quite cut it IMO. But you are spot on regarding the camera. Now also take note that the P4P has WAYYYYYYYY LESS lens flare than the Mavic! Wayyyyyyyy less. The Mavic is horrible regarding lens flare. The camera in the P4P is fantastic, mechanical shutter and control over depth of field. try the new H.365 codec in MP4 and be prepared for your mouth to drop : )
So enjoy your P4 with a totally awesome new camera! Think like a P4 upgrade, because that's what it is, and that's why DJI called P4 PRO and not P5.

OccuSync, 4k 60FPS full quality 1Gbps with SSD inside, infrared fully functional and more, requires A LOT of power computing (even more than now with the high requirements of H265 codec). Maybe you see that on a future P5.

Fly safe and enjoy!

Isn't it h.265, and what about the video?
Yes, is H265.

Video? A new sensor, more DR, less noise, night flights with decent quality, H265 with less artifacts and 100Mbps (it's like 200Mbps on H264). Not only stills has improved...

It's a HUGE UPGRADE for those we want aerial footage with more and more quality. Real samples speaks for themselves...

Thanks to the original poster and to all you chimed in. This may be the best overall discussion have read on the pros and cons of the P4P - I am still on the fence since standard P4s have dropped in price so dramatically, as I sure some other readers may be, and all this is enlightening. I almost get the impression this was built specifically for relatively close work, accurate photography control rather than traveling a major distance. Distance is nice BUT... that camera quality outweighs most of my objections... Still gonna wait for a revision or two before I bite - little wet here for flying till March or so...

If the P4P will perform with decent range I won't need to wait for P5. But I'm not going to buy a P4P that doesn't have at least the same range as my P4 with GL658A, or my P3P. Who wants that?
Who? Only those who crave the best camera :)

Yes, is H265.

Video? A new sensor, more DR, less noise, night flights with decent quality, H265 with less artifacts and 100Mbps (it's like 200Mbps on H264). Not only stills has improved...

It's a HUGE UPGRADE for those we want aerial footage with more and more quality. Real samples speaks for themselves...

I know. I thought he would have something negative to say.

Went to the beach and manually configured the channel and got up to 2.2K without any issues. Thanks everyone who replied with your advice!

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

I'd want to have a lot more than one person's negative comment before I passed judgement.
And when you have a clear example of the P4P being flown much further in post #15, I definitely wouldn't be claiming anything was inadequate or untruthful.
Did you miss #15 completely?
Horizon tilt looks pretty bad on this to me. I'm thinking I can wait for a P5P....

I dont know if the P5 will be out in a few months.. if they have an option with the X4S available for a too low price, few people will buy the Inspire solution with the X4S, maybe even lower theamount of peeps getting the X5S.

Horizon tilt looks pretty bad on this to me. I'm thinking I can wait for a P5P....

I am with you on this. Perhaps I will get some Woodford Reserve till the P5 shows up. Hmmm I think with DJI record, I will need a few bottles for sure till it arrives next year.

I wanted to fly far with my P4. I even tried the MaxxRange to no avail. Like the emails between Jake and , I may have too many trees in between all the farmland out here. Jake from MaxxUAV is a great guy and he really tried his best to make me happy. I know living in KY has its great whiskey but to fly 2-4 miles away was not going to happen with my P4. So, I will await till spring and see what arrives?

All I ever wanted for Xmas, was to beat DirtyBum's record and to be on top of the Leader Board. LOL

Happy Holidays to one and all.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brianklenhart