Does anyone try a range test for your new p4p? I did but totally disappointed><"

As usual, it's never a good idea to make up your mind based on a couple of early reports.
There are so many variables affecting flight distance, that a few users getting poor range doesn't mean anything.
Despite what some people think DJI's stated specs are usually pretty good when it comes to distance.
It's not like they need to exaggerate to be competitive with other makers.
The original specs for the Lightbridge P3s were understated and later increased to reflect actual achievable distances.
I'm going to do some more testing in the morning. I'm going to try 2.4Ghz out and also do a run with the P4 for comparison.

You will always have horizontal issues with any gimbal. Nature of the beast no matter how expensive they are. Go ahead and wait on your p5 for the horizontal issues to remain. The rest of us will enjoy our new aircraft.

I also confirmed with my dealer that he flew his demo p4p 3.7 miles on stock antennas. People will say and believe anything on these forums.

I made it out to 16,400 feet, perfect signal all the way out. Forgot I had the default max distance setting on haha! In the same location with my P4, I could only get 2500 feet. My P4P is a huge upgrade! I was also using 5.8ghz.
So now we have two reports (one on video) of 3+ mile range, and likely more to follow. Can we stand down from the freak-out for just a bit? :D

Well I had to ask since 1.5k is a bit of an investment for a quadcopter. Thank you all for the input^

Ok, I went for one more flight tonight. Here are my results. First, I started on 2.4ghz. Video got very choppy at about 16,000 feet. Switched to 5.8ghz and went all the way out to 23,000 feet with smooth video! Only turned back because this is my third flight and wanted to be extra cautious haha! I still need to do a comparison with the P4 with one flight right after the other.

I am very impressed with this thing! If you're getting worse range than a P4, then it's possible you have a faulty bird =/

Here is a night shot on my way back from the 23,000 feet flight. Don't look at so much the quality (as I was going about 30 mph), but look at how much light this thing is letting in! My P4 would only show small specks of light!

Attachments

• DJI_0010.JPG
    DJI_0010.JPG
    228.7 KB · Views: 731
I am very impressed with this thing! If you're getting worse range than a P4, then it's possible you have a faulty bird =/

Here is a night shot on my way back from the 23,000 feet flight. Don't look at so much the quality (as I was going about 30 mph), but look at how much light this thing is letting in! My P4 would only show small specks of light!
and the horizon is level ;-)

You will always have horizontal issues with any gimbal. Nature of the beast no matter how expensive they are. Go ahead and wait on your p5 for the horizontal issues to remain. The rest of us will enjoy our new aircraft.

I also confirmed with my dealer that he flew his demo p4p 3.7 miles on stock antennas. People will say and believe anything on these forums.
I'd agree with that. If they ever figure out the tilted horizon issue, it will surely be one of the touted features announced by DJI themselves. Until that happens, I'd expect to have to adjust it periodically.

Forgot I had the default max distance setting on haha!
Can you explain what you mean with "Default Max Distance setting" ? Is that your Maxx Range antenna installed, or is this a setting in the Go4 app? It's difficult to tell if you're serious or not with the "ha ha". So many others are not having the same luck with their P4P range. Are you reporting this 16,000' using a STOCK P4P controller, no mods? If you say yes I'm going to be very happy.

Last edited:
Can you explain what you mean with "Default Max Distance setting" ? Is that your Maxx Range antenna installed, or is this a setting in the Go4 app? It's difficult to tell if you're serious or not with the "ha ha". So many others are not having the same luck with their P4P range. Are you reporting this 16,000' using a STOCK P4P controller, no mods? If you say yes I'm going to be very happy.

Sorry for the confusion. There's a Max distance f setting in the Go app that's on by default, set at 5000 meters. This was done on a stock P4P.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What people don't seem to understand is, as with ANY new device, whether it's a smartphone or a refrigerator, there WILL issues here or there. Reboot, reset, recalibrate...if that doesn't help, replace. If the replacement isnt any better than return. Trust me, there are dozens of Mavics on YouTube with a whole host of issues being reported. It happens.
when there are hundreds of thousands & even millions of devices sold all over the world, there will be problems from time to time.

S5 tap'n

Reactions: ROD PAINTER
What people don't seem to understand is, as with ANY new device, whether it's a smartphone or a refrigerator, there WILL issues here or there. Reboot, reset, recalibrate...if that doesn't help, replace. If the replacement isnt any better than return. Trust me, there are dozens of Mavics on YouTube with a whole host of issues being reported. It happens.
when there are hundreds of thousands & even millions of devices sold all over the world, there will be problems from time to time.

S5 tap'n
True story! I concur!

Reactions: cr6
Hi, Im having real trouble with range on my P4P. This is my first drone and I'm an utter noob so I'm assuming its me rather than anything else. I'm currently trying it in a residential area (town more than city) but I can't get more than 300m out of my P4P before the signal dies and returns home, Ive changed the settings in the app to allow max distance so I don't think its limited by anything. There's only houses near by, no towers or office blocks or anything. Any help would be appreciated.

I bought the dronenerds $159 signal booster and flew it 10,000 ft away. see my screen shot on my instagram feed @droneeverything it seems it would go further but the software stopped anymore distance. I think almost 2 miles away is plenty anyway. I bought the booster for better close range penetration thru trees etc.

Look, in perfect situations ANY of these drones can get out 2 plus miles. For God sakes my P3 did it with no problems. I'm talking about this new transmission systems ability to filter out stray signals in normally congested areas. The range is WORSE than the other drones and I had/ have them all running the same path. The occusync is a much better means of communication as it does a better job isolating the signal period. Standard 2.4/ 5.8 will NOT improve range over the Occusync technology. And yes theres the non functioning side sensors in "P" mode which is absurd. Why even put them on for just tripod or beginner modes? Horizon tilt which still plagues the units. Then theres the worse 4k 60fps rate that scans and limits clarity as opposed to 4x 24fps and 30 fps making 4k 60fps almost useless as 100 mbs is NOT enough bandwidth to carry all those bits of info.. Not a troll as I have/ had EVERY quad made by DJI. But for range and fairly good 4k 30fps video the Mavic is king. The P4 does 85% of what the P4P does with better range sans the camera sensor. I'm sure the P5 will wake up and fix those remaining hardware issues and include side optical sensors etc.

Reactions: Knoxville drone guy
Hi, Im having real trouble with range on my P4P. This is my first drone and I'm an utter noob so I'm assuming its me rather than anything else. I'm currently trying it in a residential area (town more than city) but I can't get more than 300m out of my P4P before the signal dies and returns home, Ive changed the settings in the app to allow max distance so I don't think its limited by anything. There's only houses near by, no towers or office blocks or anything. Any help would be appreciated.

Have you tried switching between 5.8 and 2.4?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scav8tor