Does anyone try a range test for your new p4p? I did but totally disappointed><"

As long as we're mentioning things for new Phantom flyers to be aware of, here's another:

Although DJI states that iPhones are compatible with DJI Go, the mobile device holder of the remote control is made for larger devices. You can't mount an iPhone in the mobile device holder unless you modify it by adding shims of some sort. The minimum width that a mobile device can be and still fit the mobile device holder is 96 mm, according to my measurements. iPhones range from 59 to 78 mm wide. There are likewise Android devices which are compatible, but too small to fit.

I may be missing what you are saying, but, just flip down the two phone holder arms on the device holder for phones.

As long as we're mentioning things for new Phantom flyers to be aware of, here's another:

Although DJI states that iPhones are compatible with DJI Go, the mobile device holder of the remote control is made for larger devices. You can't mount an iPhone in the mobile device holder unless you modify it by adding shims of some sort. The minimum width that a mobile device can be and still fit the mobile device holder is 96 mm, according to my measurements. iPhones range from 59 to 78 mm wide. There are likewise Android devices which are compatible, but too small to fit.

Completely false. What are you talking about? Pull the two arms down and the iPhone fits great. Been using my iPhone 6 and iPhone 6S since the Phantom 3.

Duh, yep, Glenn and Kman. Something I once knew, that I forgot I knew. Sorry 'bout dat. I'm going to amend my original post so that no one believes the incorrect info I posted.

Reactions: Kman
There just no consistent pattern of happiness from former P3P owners when flying P4P yet. Many reports offer no detail about environment, or their experience, what settings they use, etc. Some people fly auto channel, some prefer custom channel and 4mbps settings to maximize range, like me. That detail is left out, and these settings do effect range.
Mine's supposed to arrive today. I tend to provide detail, and promise a video today if it's not pitch dark when the UPS truck arrives. At the very least, I'll do a video of the DJI Go screen capture so that you can see settings, speed and distance. Maybe even if it IS pitch dark, since there's a lot of rain in the forecast for tomorrow.

Reactions: hidaven and Kman
Screw that, I'm waiting for the P8. It will fix all the problems of the P4, 5, 6, and 7.

but it is going to have problems the P4, 5, 6 and 7 don't have. A new set of problems..

SEE! exactly I mean EXACTLY where mine crapped out.....And your more rural than me! Unless theres a bug and the warnings like the wind warnings are bogus? Nice music....lol

SEE! exactly I mean EXACTLY where mine crapped out.....And your more rural than me! Unless theres a bug and the warnings like the wind warnings are bogus? Nice music....lol
Nothing wrong with rural. One of these days I'm going to have some swaths of timber cut down, and then I'll have a lot more line-of-sight distance. Yes, found a few free classical selections on YouTube, thanks!

The wind warnings aren't bogus, they're just overly cautious IMHO. Next time I'll dismiss them ASAP.

Do you use parabolic antenna boosters? They increase my range by 50% no matter which drone I'm flying, they're cheap, and they require no actual modifications... just stick 'em over the antennae.

Only a mile distance is disappointing, but all the trees in the way isn't a fair test. Trees hinder signal distance. You need LOS to the craft, no obstructions between the RC and the craft.
Thanks John. I've been flying multi-rotors for 7 years, and Phantoms for over 3 years, so you're not telling me anything I didn't know already. I was not trying to get my distance into Guinness. I like the convenience of flying from right outside my door and therefore put up with the decreased distance.

More altitude would also give me more distance, but DJI Go is not lying to me when it says there's an unpaved airport nearby, and that guy likes to fly his homebuilt LOW. Plus, I'm in a military flight path and their copters also come through low once in a while, so I'm not going above 400 feet (any more). :)

Whats interesting is the P4P seems to loose signal a lot faster than the Mavic. Mavic slowly drops bars whereas the P4P dives quickly. Also odd is the 32 channels available in 5.8mhz??? Only 7 or so in 2.4. I did the channels hack on the P3 awhile back and it opened up all 32 channels on 2.4. its odd how DJI got permission for 32 5.8 channels but not 2.4. Anyway, at this point I don't think its any worse than the P4 but the signal protection is still better on the occusync. The occusync as someone stated, does indeed filter out the noise a bit better in highly concentrated wifi areas. I just think DJI needs to unstuff the big elephant and explain whats going on here. Why would DJI come up with, develop, a unique transmission system for just one quad??? And what about the goggles? Wouldn't the Phantom/ inspire series fliers want the same wireless goggles?? Very odd.

Thanks John. I've been flying multi-rotors for 7 years, and Phantoms for over 3 years, so you're not telling me anything I didn't know already. I was not trying to get my distance into Guinness. I like the convenience of flying from right outside my door and therefore put up with the decreased distance.

More altitude would also give me more distance, but DJI Go is not lying to me when it says there's an unpaved airport nearby, and that guy likes to fly his homebuilt LOW. Plus, I'm in a military flight path and their copters also come through low once in a while, so I'm not going above 400 feet (any more). :)
Sorry for the misinterpretation of "woo hoo", I thought you were excited about the 1mi distance since that's what this thread is about.

First day I got my P4P it crapped out around 5,350 feet. No signal, no visual! I went in full panic mode, thought I lost it in the woods.The RTH eventually worked & barely made it back due to a low battery. 2 days ago I lost all signals at 3,696 feet.
I feel like my P3 'Advanced' has lesser problems. Should I invest in the antenna boosters? I'm not a distance junkie, but I like the option of doing so. Didn't DJI say the P4P can get to 4 miles?

Reactions: Wpollard
First day I got my P4P it crapped out around 5,350 feet. No signal, no visual! I went in full panic mode, thought I lost it in the woods.The RTH eventually worked & barely made it back due to a low battery. 2 days ago I lost all signals at 3,696 feet.
I feel like my P3 'Advanced' has lesser problems. Should I invest in the antenna boosters? I'm not a distance junkie, but I like the option of doing so. Didn't DJI say the P4P can get to 4 miles?
You're not alone, I like the option of going 2+ miles myself. I don't feel I'm a distance junkie either, I just like the freedom of going beyond 1 mile. My P3P can easily go 2+ miles with windsurfer, confidently in most rural areas with LOS. However my P4 couldn't manage more than a mile, reliably, until I started using an Inspire controller to fly my P4. From the few reports I've seen the P4P has about the same range as P4, which isn't as far as P3A/P can go. Please, someone prove me wrong.

Not sure what you mean? Several reports have the p4p going over 3 miles...

You're not alone, I like the option of going 2+ miles myself. I don't feel I'm a distance junkie either, I just like the freedom of going beyond 1 mile. My P3P can easily go 2+ miles with windsurfer, confidently in most rural areas with LOS. However my P4 couldn't manage more than a mile, reliably, until I started using an Inspire controller to fly my P4. From the few reports I've seen the P4P has about the same range as P4, which isn't as far as P3A/P can go. Please, someone prove me wrong.
There is another thread where someone got like 19,000 feet?

My P4 only gets about 5200 feet in my area. My p4p comes Thursday and I'll see how far it can go.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj