Yes or no? Can a hobbyist drone pilot fly at night?

As of today. Yes. There are no restrictions for hobby flying at night.

Can a hobbyist fly over a road with some light car traffic (not over people themselves) at night?
Not advisable, but there is nothing "Legally" to prevent that, assuming it is in the coarse of the flight and not a "meandering" type of scenario. That is just being safe. If you were to do that, it would be fine to hover off the roadside a safe distance from the road. But again, if you are simply flying over the road as part of your flight that is fine.

I realise the question was from someone in USA, for clarity since we have a global audience and new pilots, flying at night is not permitted recreationally in many countries, Australia being one. Consult locals rules when travelling.

Correct, and you are right that I should have clarified. This is for flying in the US as a hobbyist.

Flying at night over a road late at night that has a few moving cars; capturing Christmas lights on storefronts on both sides of the road.

Reactions: PhoenixOne and Loz
Thank you. Can a hobbyist fly over a road with some light car traffic (not over people themselves) at night?

As a hobbyist you are flying under part 336 “Recreation Flyers & Modeler Community-Based-Organization” , and as such you are required to follow the guidelines of a model aircraft community-based organization. Read below bullet point 3, where you agree not to fly over moving vehicles.

IMG_0274.jpg

https://www.modelaircraft.org/sites/default/files/100.pdf

THAT is total news to me. Never heard of it before.

Now, to be precise: I did not fly intentionally and directly (directed by control) over moving vehicles. I started over an open and unoccupied road. A car or three appeared and passed under me as I flew in a straight line down the middle of the road (technically not even directly over the cars as they were to the left and right of me in their lanes). I “avoided” traffic in general but some exceptions did briefly pass used me (less than one second).

NOT trying to be argumentative, snarky, obtuse or intentionally deceptive: doesn’t that follow the spirit of the guidelines?

Reactions: Fishenmann
As a hobbyist you are flying under part 336 “Recreation Flyers & Modeler Community-Based-Organization” , and as such you are required to follow the guidelines of a model aircraft community-based organization. Read below bullet point 3, where you agree not to fly over moving vehicles.

View attachment 106583

https://www.modelaircraft.org/sites/default/files/100.pdf

For example, it says “I will not fly over [...] occupied structures.” So, a hobbyist may never fly over any occupied building whatsoever?! I can’t fly over my house while my GF is inside? I can’t fly over my parents house while they are making Christmas dinner?

Reactions: PhantomWetSuits
Hey "Fly Dawg" Where did I see 30 minutes before sun up & 30 after sundown?
Thanks..

When asking on this forum, you will always get the most strict interpretation. Think of driving down the highway. A cop following you could pull you over for anything. I'm in between the strict legal to the crazies here in the US.

There is a contest on DJI forum for the best Christmas light video. Lights are at night. DJI is then asking people to fly there drones at night. I waited till it was about 11 PM to do a flight at night so the people and the cars were at a minimum.

Sorry Aussie. LOL

Reactions: volace and Loz
For example, it says “I will not fly over [...] occupied structures.” So, a hobbyist may never fly over any occupied building whatsoever?! I can’t fly over my house while my GF is inside? I can’t fly over my parents house while they are making Christmas dinner?

These are guidelines not laws. I would be careful though in flying over moving vehicles just in case your drone has a mishap and comes crashing down on someone’s windshield and causes an accident.

Reactions: Dragonfly Joe
You must maintain VLOS, attitude and orientation.

How do you do this without lighting?

"PhantomWetSuits" In the rain at night? & one light on the bird?...Wow..........

"PhantomWetSuits" In the rain at night & one light on the bird?...Wow..........

That video demonstrates how the difference in lights on the drone such as the battery lights to the Bar light . That bar light works beautifully as I have found the cree lights and lume cubes to be to bright and gain to much attention. Something most of us do not want flying at night.

The Video looks bright but that is not the real story , it was much darker outside. notice at 1000 ft the battery lights fade away quickly...

Sorry. What video?

Reactions: Chris50ae
Also note in that same guide...[https://www.modelaircraft.org/sites/default/files/100.pdf]

"All model flights must be conducted in accordance with this safety code and related AMA guidelines"

if you look to page 8 under "RADIO CONTROL" night flying is mentioned

"Night flying requires a lighting system that provides the pilot with a clear view of the model’s attitude and orientation at all times. Hand-held illumination systems by themselves are inadequate for night flying operations and must be supplemented with other lighting systems."

Reactions: skymonkey

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl