P3SE loses signal at 5-10 metres.

Crap, anyways checking back in going to hit the bed quick.
It is that block diagram I shared, a lot of info there, where the WiFi comes from that gimbal base, to the main board, but the remote has do three things?

There is a post, guy flying one these with out that gimbal base and no landing gear.
To reconnect to different remote he needed that Gimbal Base hooked up

Yes, he would not have any info coming back.
Flying like any old school RC stuff.

But if he was to let off the sticks.

It will still hover if had GPS.

Rod ..

it "landed" onto a tank, and slid down the side 😃
wasn't a flyaway.

yes, i was surprised how intoletant Phantom to cheap aliexpress props - all over the place. These are originals, dirty, but serviceable.
Bugger anyway,yeh sorry I just assumed it done a wobbly since it lost conection ,there's been to many yaw errors on this forum over the years and normal to think that in my round a bout mind ,its like predictive texting on a phone,
Do all the motors still turn nice by hand,damage might be a manageable amount of $$ to fix but then back to the conection issue, (not sure if maybe a few hard landings over time would give the full signal loss but it was a thought I had) and new landing gear complete with antennas pre installed would sure help,pretty cheap ,most likely ribbon cable set aswell and should reconnect again,if no internal board damage,
Yep as @RodPad mention can use without cam but needs to be configured correctly
Good luck man

Reactions: RodPad
So... I got it open:

P3SE has three wires going into the landing gear legs: if you look at the battery, the nearest right leg has the compass sensor, with 4-wire ribbon going up to the main board. The far right and nearest left legs got the grey and black coaxial cables, ending in a PCB-trace antennas (see photo). These coaxials go inside the drone body and come out in front, and connect to the gimbal main board.
No other antennas on the drone (apart from GPS, but we don't care about it here). Therefore all the comms on P3 SE are via gimbal main board. No gimbal = no comms.

P3 Standard got totally different setup, with ceramic antennas inside the body both sides of battery. They are the ones happily flying with gimbals removed, and would probably happily fly without landing gear.

P3S vs P3SE - Two very similar looking, but very differently built drones.... 'cause DJI ;)

IMG_20240301_233120_1.jpg

Anyway, I've cannibalized the P3S coaxial antenna and run it instead of one of the original ones. See if it makes difference on test flight tomorrow. Will shop for the proper replacement P3SE antennas.

I was afraid to login again, I had some signals ideas yesterday morning, but that all changed, you didn't ask for permission to crash it. :)

Its great you are still messing with it, whats wrong with SE antenna, and there are two?

Rod ...

whats wrong with SE antenna, and there are two?
One had connector ripped off when it crashed in water tank, so I had to replace it anyway. Otherwise they look identical (and got identical markings). I assume one is RC signal, the other is video.

Flew two batteries just before, much better, got it to 130 metres away, 340 feet up, still controllable. Now it occasionally stops in the air with "Image Transmission Signal Weak", "No Image is available. Return to Home?", and tries to RTH, but you can cancel it and keep flying.

So it is generally flyable, good for handling practice.

So seems like the antenna was either faulty or had poor connection to the gimbal board.

This was on my post #33

Part 2
What are using for a mobile device Android or Apple
Do you know how to flight files to a computer?

Revised. :rolleyes:
Do you know how to down load flight logs from your mobile device and share them?

Back to being very important to me.👌

Rod ..

You got some learning.

This guy flipped out on meta4 statement.
He one of top guys on this stuff.

I sent this guy a PM said you need to apologize, he never did to meta4.

Meta4 was moderator on this forum for a long time.

Mavic files have a lot more detail.
But Phantoms do have loss of signal, battery levels, compass errors, your stick movements was RTH status elevation gps coordinates and more.

Waypoint releated.

Rod ..

Where did you get a P3 antenna?
I didn't release you busted up the landing gear also.

I have some interesting thoughts on this two antenna stuff.
It actually goes back to the firmware then signal problems on the next time I flew it.

Because of this concept is why I always want to know when and why you did a firmware update.
Since the MB is different on P3SE, I think that problem got corrected.

Rod ..

Where did you get a P3 antenna?
I didn't release you busted up the landing gear also.
No, landing gear was intact. The connector ripped off the other end, when gimbal assy fell off.
I got P3Standard antenna from one of the two wrecked P3S's that I have for parts.

Quick flight today, same story, it complains about Image Transmission Signal Weak and tries to go home.
Logs don't give much info:
Screenshot_2024-03-03_14-04-45.png

Flight mode changed to ATTI and back to P-GPS is when I'm flicking the switch trying to regain control.

I had a goofed up day.
I don't have a link to see the full thing, and others can see also.

You would share the URL that would be the browser.

I would save what all you can to a computer off the Android way easier then a crApple.

Then look back before the problems started.

You did see where you can playback the flight and see where the positions of the sticks were, and a lot more?

Also there is a SD card glued to the mother board, that we call the black box.

You can also download whats on it.
Same as a vehicle the older data gets erased when its get full.
Every time you power it on starts a new log, doesn't matter if you don't even turn the remote on.

Some of newer models on the Mavic Side DJI has encrypted those files, I think they all .dat files?

Rod ..

I had a goofed up day.
I don't have a link to see the full thing, and others can see also.

You would share the URL that would be the browser.

I would save what all you can to a computer off the Android way easier then a crApple.

Then look back before the problems started.

You did see where you can playback the flight and see where the positions of the sticks were, and a lot more?

Also there is a SD card glued to the mother board, that we call the black box.

You can also download whats on it.
Same as a vehicle the older data gets erased when its get full.
Every time you power it on starts a new log, doesn't matter if you don't even turn the remote on.

Some of newer models on the Mavic Side DJI has encrypted those files, I think they all .dat files?

Rod ..

I got the file from android, loaded up into DJI Flight Log Viewer | Phantom Help
It does show stick movements etc.

The blackbox SD card is way too much work to get to, as I need to take the lid off again (battling with those clips :) ), then desolder couple of motors to be able to lift the main board and get to the SD card. And I can't see any files via front microUSB connector (apparently it's used by DJI techs with a proprietary software ?).

I'm leaning towards acceptance of the fact that until I fix/replace the gimbal, I won't be able to get it working better. Oh well, it still is a good general handling trainer frame.

Last edited:
So... I got it open:

P3SE has three wires going into the landing gear legs: if you look at the battery, the nearest right leg has the compass sensor, with 4-wire ribbon going up to the main board. The far right and nearest left legs got the grey and black coaxial cables, ending in a PCB-trace antennas (see photo). These coaxials go inside the drone body and come out in front, and connect to the gimbal main board.
No other antennas on the drone (apart from GPS, but we don't care about it here). Therefore all the comms on P3 SE are via gimbal main board. No gimbal = no comms.

P3 Standard got totally different setup, with ceramic antennas inside the body both sides of battery. They are the ones happily flying with gimbals removed, and would probably happily fly without landing gear.

P3S vs P3SE - Two very similar looking, but very differently built drones.... 'cause DJI ;)

View attachment 125809

Anyway, I've cannibalized the P3S coaxial antenna and run it instead of one of the original ones. See if it makes difference on test flight tomorrow. Will shop for the proper replacement P3SE antennas.

I think it's important to keep in mind that the P3S leg antenna is a 5.8 ghz antenna. I mentioned this is another thread. It will not work well with a 2.4 ghz system. I think the default freq on the SE is 2.4 ghz, isn't it? So you would have to be sure to choose via the Go app a 5.8 ghz signal when flying a P3SE with a P3S leg antenna. Otherwise, you could burn up the transmitter on the drone, if the antenna is connected to a transmitter and not just a receiver.

Similarly, unless you had no other option, you would not want to use a P3 A/P leg antenna on the P3 SE because it is a dedicated 2.4 ghz antenna - at least it should be since those drones only use 2.4 ghz. The exception would be if you are sure you are in 2.4 ghz from the Go app and stayed with it 24/7/365. Otherwise, again, you could burn up a transmitter.

As I've mentioned in another thread, that's why I think it would be best to replace the P3 SE dual frequency leg antenna with a P3 SE dual frequency leg antenna. If you can't find one, then the second best choice might be the P3 A/P antenna and just keep the SE in 2.4 ghz 24/7.

I wonder if the P4 dual frequency leg antenna would work on the P3 SE? I am not sure how the dual frequency antennas work - can one just swap them out willy nilly from drone to drone? I don't know.

One had connector ripped off when it crashed in water tank, so I had to replace it anyway. Otherwise they look identical (and got identical markings). I assume one is RC signal, the other is video.

That would make sense if the P3 SE worked like a P3S, but we have already established that it works like a P3 A/P which is a lightbridge drone. We've also established that the SE controller transmits from one side and receives from the other just like the P3 A/P controllers.

Unlike the P3S, the P3SE doesn't use two frequencies at the same time. It uses one or the other, depending on what the pilot chooses via the Go app.

Last edited:
@Mark The Droner

This One?

Rod ..

Reactions: Mark The Droner
@ip_droning
Check this out WOW

Rod ..

@Mark The Droner

Thanks!

Are the pics correct on the remotes that. @LOVE NZ posted?

They both look like they have a single antenna, not like the P3A.

Rod ..

@Mark The Droner

Thanks!

Are the pics correct on the remotes that. @LOVE NZ posted?

They both look like they have a single antenna, not like the P3A.

Rod ..
Hey - I thought you had a keen eye??? ;-)

I don't own and have never owned a P3S or a P3SE but I've been following these P3SE threads for many years because I think the drone is pretty fascinating. In a way, it's sort of like the "missing link" between the P2V series and the P3 A/P series.

I don't see anything that suggests the photos are incorrect. Kudos to Love NZ for posting the pics!

If you study the photos, both those controllers have the stick antenna but also two additional antennas built into the controller at the front, facing forward. We used to call those "patch" antennas but that word seems to have fallen out of favor. Those patch antennas communicate with the drone. The stick antenna communicates with the mobile device in lieu of the cable used on the P3 A/P.

Lots of threads discussing this on this site and the DJI site.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl