crashed after RTH , warranty

Reaction score
Hello Phantom pilots,

I decided to share my crash story here, because I'm certain many of you have felt that same dreadful feeling of adrenaline that makes your fingers start shaking as you struggle to keep decisions calm and logical. Knowing something is wrong and just hoping the bird will make it home in one piece again.

This time it didn't make it.
I was flying my Phantom 3 SE at a hill over an open field outside of town. I sent it 2000m away, I lost signal and RTH engaged, the battery at this point was 41%. I had no video and the connection did not restore almost until halfway to the home point. Then the link began acting weird with the signal turning on and off. At one point the battery suddenly dropped to 25%. I pushed the stick forward when I had visual on the drone. The critical warning kicked in and limited my airspeed and the aircraft kicked in auto landing ... I tried to bring it as close as possible thinking 12% battery will make it over 600m (I should have just pushed down to land--- but then again I was on a hill and forward = less altitude). At the end the aircraft fell out of the sky on 6-8% battery from 7m at 130m.

It is my fault for fly so far away but **** if the auto landing at critical battery cannot land the craft from 60m why is it there at all. I really should have been pushing the descend hard and not relying on auto land.

Battery was charged to 100%, I took off, flew 5 mins then landed then took off again at 56% battery.
Full IMU-calibration prior to take off - check. Compass- and Gimbal-calibration - check.
Home point at take off position. Smart RTH on, RTH altitude 60m.
Low battery warning was set at 30% and crit battery warning at 15%.
Weather conditions: good to perfect - no wind, temp around 25 C, dry.
No trees, no power lines.

DJI Flight Log Viewer - PhantomHelp.com

14m 21.1s - there as sudden drop in power from 41% to 25%

Result is: 2 broken propellers a broken camera gimbal arm and some scratches. And the drone cannot connect to the remote.

Is there a way to extract the flight logs from the aircraft (.DAT files) with no connection...the internal sdcard maybe??

I've also read somewhere that powering on and off too much will erase those logs ... so I only once tried powering on and I've got constantly blinking yellow lights.

The drone is still in warranty and I'll send the flight logs to DJI once I recover them. I want to know what you think about this. Is there a chance to get a free repair. I blame the sudden loss of battery power.

Last edited:
14m 21.1s - there as sudden drop in power from 41% to 25%
The battery drop is mysterious - I'm not sure what the explanation might be.
It is my fault for fly so far away but **** if the auto landing at critical battery cannot land the craft from 60m why is it there at all.
Autolanding on critical low power is there to land the drone in an emergency low battery situation when there is not enough power to get home.
But pushing the right stick hard for another minute drains power the Phantom was going to use to land safely.
Full IMU-calibration prior to take off - check. Compass- and Gimbal-calibration - check.
There should be no need to calibrate anything before flying.

Reactions: Neon Euc
Thanks for the replies, guys.
If I hadn't set my false hopes on those 8% to make it home and just let it land there and then I would have been flying today.

Another thing that puzzles me is why did the drone chose such a round path to go home and not just straight in.

What puzzles me is why you blatantly disregard VLOS requirements. Anyone who breaks or loses their quad under those circumstances deserves what they get. Glad you didn't cause harm or damage to other people or property.
You mean not going above 100m altitude, not flying out of sight and not around airfields. This is why I chose to fly over the epmty hills out of town.

What puzzles me is why you blatantly disregard VLOS requirements. Anyone who breaks or loses their quad under those circumstances deserves what they get. Glad you didn't cause harm or damage to other people or property.
Make yourself feel better- assume the OP flew out 150m and did 2.33 orbits around the home point and returned. Would be the same outcome. Any useful responses to the questions with that scenario?

Reactions: Neon Euc
Another thing that puzzles me is why did the drone chose such a round path to go home and not just straight in.
The RTH path isn't straight because you were giving it some aileron input with the right stick from 15:35-17:15 as well as touching the rudder a few times

Reactions: LARA images
The RTH path isn't straight because you were giving it some aileron input with the right stick from 15:35-17:15 as well as touching the rudder a few times

I know but everytime until now hitting return home allowed me to spin the rudder around and film scenery while the craft went straight home ... And the fiddling with the right control was because I panicked at the end.

Anyway. I want to try self repair if they deny the warranty. I really hope I can salvage the gimbal. Worse is it won't connect to the remote so I can't test anything until I open it for diagnostic.

What was your reasoning for taking off with a partially charged battery?
I had other things and worldly troubles on my mind, I was hungry, I never thought this would happen to me, i blamed myself of being too cautious and decided to be more courageous....idk..
I am an idiot , ok. Belive me it will never happen again

Some times on days like you were having.....I think its best to go fishing !........Hope that you can salvage some parts and maybe sale them here ..i hated to read the story......your sure Not a Idiot ...and in times....like you had...Us drone pilots ONLY have split seconds to make a decision....Right some times and wrong sometimes....nuff said !

I had other things and worldly troubles on my mind, I was hungry, I never thought this would happen to me, i blamed myself of being too cautious and decided to be more courageous....idk..
I am an idiot , ok. Belive me it will never happen again
And all of these are things that would indicate that you were in no condition to be flying in that particular situation.

Even if you aren't going to get a Part 107 certification, it might be helpful to read Chapter 10 of the Part 107 study guide. Of particular interest might be Figure 10 which details the 5 Hazardous Attitudes.

https://www.faa.gov/regulations_pol...s/aviation/media/remote_pilot_study_guide.pdf

Good luck in the future.

I've said it Before and i will say it again : Too bad members here don't put what island they are On Or what State in the USA they live in or what continent that they are ON...sure would make it Much easier to Help them initially !

Might also reduce the anti-help ear bashing.

But there are plenty of examples of people replying to non USA posts as though they are USA ... people don't bother to look at persons avatar / location / details before giving 'all' ....

This forum is not unique in it .. near all RC related forums suffer this. Its like all us Rest of World (RoW) people don't exist. Sorry to be blunt - but its true.

Nigel

Reactions: PhantomWetSuits
But there are plenty of examples of people replying to non USA posts as though they are USA ... people don't bother to look at persons avatar / location / details before giving 'all' ....

This forum is not unique in it .. near all RC related forums suffer this. Its like all us Rest of World (RoW) people don't exist. Sorry to be blunt - but its true.

Nigel
I’m with you, in the rest of the world catagory.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl