Track that Drone

I am looking into either the Tagg Pet Tracker:
http://www.pettracker.com/GPS-Pet-Track ... fgodDWYAEA
or the Garman GTU 10:
http://www8.garmin.com/followme/
Both of which look good to me but would like to hear testimonies of users for the Phantom.
I recently lost my TBS Discovery Pro in the lush spring desert of Apache Junction, AZ on a business trip.
Countless hours of searching by several people. Had I only had a GPS tracker it would not have been a total loss of aircraft and GoPro.
Warning, it can happen. Not the first time for me.
The positive thing that came out of this is the discovery of the Phantom 2. I brilliant product! Glad to be a part of this group. Also, would like to know if anyone is using their spare Phantom 5200 mah Lipo batteries to power goggles so I don't have to take two different battery chargers on travel.

Let us know how that one works for you. I just received my TK102B (clone) today and I fitted it with an AT&T Go card. Works perfectly so far. More testing to come. I was just happy to find a US seller, and that it is working correctly is a relief as some of these have a poor track record.

EDIT: inspect your tracker well as it appears the Mini A8 uses LBS, not GPS and supposedly has no GPS chip set at all. That is cell tower triangulation which can vary wildly for accuracy.

eroomomni said:
or the Garman GTU 10:
Both of which look good to me but would like to hear testimonies of users for the Phantom.

Having lost my fully loaded F450 (legit flyaway), I learned the hard way and have vowed not to let it happen to me again.
so built a new one, but wanted to get a tracker that I could swap between Phantom and F450.
I didn't do much research, but based on a few recommendations I went with the Tagg.com,
it's only 32g, and it clamps on perfectly to the leg of my Phantom.
I've only had it for a short while, but it appears to work ok, and it relatively simple and well designed - especially since it's a pet tracker they've made it quite durable (nearly waterproof)
I didn't really look into the Garman or other models that don't require subscription fees, but I'm satisfied with my purchase so far.
I've regained my fear of losing another craft and can enjoy flying again.
here's pic of it attached to my Phantom but it can be swiveled inside the leg a bit as well. (if you got it, do NOT remove the rubber arms they have antenna parts in them)

Attachments

• tracker.jpg
    tracker.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 666
On April 7th I posted a question about recommendations on GPS trackers for the Phantom. I went ahead and purchased the Tagg Pet Tracker product. It was purchased off Amazon and it comes with three months service, as some have mentioned on this thread. The mounting onto the Phantom was a breeze. It comes with an elastic strap that goes around the collar (if used on a dog) but for me since I have some wires (pictured below) bundled from my video transmitter it created just the right landing gear post diameter to provide a snug fit. After mounting the GPS tracker, I flew this weekend, finding out that there is no interference with the video or aircraft communication. Also, I tested it by having someone hide it in a hillside open field and was able to find it with my iPhone with no problem.
You can remove it from the Phantom with a quick release and mount to the cradle for recharging.
I have flown with cameras on RC aircraft for about 7 years. Twice I lost the aircraft with the camera. A couple months ago I lost a custom TBS Discovery Pro with a GoPro Hero 3 Black. I won’t fly without a tracker anymore. So, if anyone is looking for a solution, in my opinion, this is a good choice.

Attachments

• tagg3-140412.jpg
    tagg3-140412.jpg
    11.5 KB · Views: 526
how about an alarm. a small clock alarm w/ batt. & very loud sound. just set the timer (30 mins.) and if the phantom's down the alarm will activated but, in dry land only. i gonna look for this one, if any ?

Why not get the osd mini or ground station to track location? Better yet don't fly out of site, and near areas of high radio interference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Both ideas above are great. I have a lost model alarm on my F550. There are times that a crash may knock out the electronics so telemetry may not solve the problem. Those who know me know that I don't fly carelessly and almost always fly out in wideness areas. However, things happen. This will help to locate in the event of inadvertently landing in a cornfield, forest of trees, etc.

Point definitely taking. I have also pondered on the idea of some type of tracking. I guess it may not be bad especially since a F550 is in my future.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

arnonel said:
http://makezine.com/projects/make-37/gps-cat-tracker-2/

?

Very cool but it appears to only track and record it... no way to locate it. Not really useful on a fly away UAV.

Gizmo3000 said:
eroomomni said:
or the Garman GTU 10:

Having lost my fully loaded F450 (legit flyaway), I learned the hard way and have vowed not to let it happen to me again.
so built a new one, but wanted to get a tracker that I could swap between Phantom and F450.
I didn't do much research, but based on a few recommendations I went with the Tagg.com,
it's only 32g, and it clamps on perfectly to the leg of my Phantom.
I've only had it for a short while, but it appears to work ok, and it relatively simple and well designed - especially since it's a pet tracker they've made it quite durable (nearly waterproof)
I didn't really look into the Garman or other models that don't require subscription fees, but I'm satisfied with my purchase so far.
I've regained my fear of losing another craft and can enjoy flying again.
here's pic of it attached to my Phantom but it can be swiveled inside the leg a bit as well. (if you got it, do NOT remove the rubber arms they have antenna parts in them)

The subscription fee for the tracking service is a bit on the high side. Nice solution but there are more cost effective GPS trackers out there.

LuvMyTJ said:
I sent back my TK102 since it was not fully operational and am now testing a PocketFinder. We'll see how it goes.

What was not functional on your TK102? I have one coming this week from a USA retailer that uses a sim card and has a slot for a microSD card to store data.

The other issue I have with the TAGG is the many, many reviews of terrible accuracy. Some people say the location was off by a mile or more. There have been durability issues reported also (plastic cracking). I like to check the reviews at Amazon for different products. If my P2 goes missing I want something that will pinpoint it for me. I am hoping the PocketFinder I am testing will do just that. If this one does not work out for me I will be going with a non-clone TK102 even with the clunky UI.

JimDE said:
LuvMyTJ said:
I sent back my TK102 since it was not fully operational and am now testing a PocketFinder. We'll see how it goes.

What was not functional on your TK102? I have one coming this week from a USA retailer that uses a sim card and has a slot for a microSD card to store data.

I hope it wasn't the same one I used out of California. The GPRS function was not working. It didn't save data to the card correctly. It half worked which is all you seem to get with a clone. Good luck and test all functions to be sure they work. You will have to do some homework to use it as the UI is terrible.

Oh yeah, be sure and check the IMEI number to be sure it is a valid one. Some of them use invalid numbers and then you can never set it up on Orange or gpstrackerxy.

Yeah it was from TomTop Unlimited out of CA......... the Washington State retailer seemed more shaky in reputation at least this one had a 100% satisfaction rating

Educate me on this number to check........ what is it and how does one check it is valid

JimDE said:
Yeah it was from TomTop Unlimited out of CA......... the Washington State retailer seemed more shaky in reputation at least this one had a 100% satisfaction rating

Educate me on this number to check........

I take that back... it was the Washington seller (kingtime2009) I used now that I checked the return label (look at so many prior to buying). His ratings weren't bad and he gave me no issues returning it, he even paid the shipping back. Maybe your guy will have better stuff.

An IMEI number (International Mobile Equipment Identity) is the number is the one you will be asked for to get the SIM card and to register it on tracking sites. Your cell phone uses one also to distinguish it from others. It will be on a sticker inside the back of the unit under the battery. If someone else uses the number you can not.

Yeah mine is from Sacramento CA .... Kingtime was the one that was too shaky in ratings recently for me to buy from though most of the complaints had to do with printer heads...... thanks for the info

The "tile" looks nice and the size is right but if I had a fly away it would depend on other people having tiles to pick up the signal and give me a location........ I doubt many people's cellphones who have tiles themselves will be out in the wetlands I use my P2V over to pickup my signal and tell me where it is. It would be a great system IF everyone had them. I know no one who has one.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Johnboy94