Track that Drone

proximo said:
I'm new to Phantoms - should get my Vision + next week sometime. I want to protect my investment and wonder if I need a separate GPS tracker. Would you guys recommend it? Or does the built-in GPS work sufficiently for recovery in case of a crash or fly-away?

Was eying the http://tagg.com device as it seems really simple to use and setup.

As I posted a few pages back, I am very happy with my choice of the Tagg. I've traveled with it and tested it quite a bit in the past two weeks. Some say there are poor reviews but my comment is that it's perfect for me. I have flown FPV for quite a while but if you don't record your FPV monitor you'll never really know where it went down. As I stated before, if your battery is knocked out of commission during a crash there is no way to activate a lost model alarm. I've owned two separate lost model alarms and they are not too reliable for the reason mentioned above. I don't like paying the subscription fee that I pay for the Tagg but I bought it to save my investment. I know what it is like to lose an aircraft and camera (twice). I can't recommend it to others but for me, it was a good choice. I fly in forests, mountains and grassy fields. I know from experience an RC aircraft is not always easy to find. For what its worth. Good luck on your selection. Let us know what works out for you.

Well paid my $100 for a year sim card with AT&T for my 102 tracker. Tie strapped it upside down on the horizontal landing strut opposite the compass with a snug tie strap going around the assembly to keep it vertical. Took her out and tested it and it worked great! I flew her out about 500' and landed it... phoned the tracker and it showed it on google maps with the hyper link it supplied. IMEA number is right though it is different than the number imprinted inside but I think that is a serial number.

A sense of relief has made it's presence and I now know if my P2V gets a mind of it's own it will not be gone forever. Nice feeling and well worth $100 a year.

I guess I am going to go with the TRAX system, it just seems to be the most reliable and accurate systems. It uses signals from all 3 satellite systems, GPS, Glonass, and Galileo to get a fix accurate to 5-15'. This position fix is sent to an API via GPRS, a data only 2,5Ghz system piggybacked on all major networks. Data is sent when the unit is 'pinged' or it moves outside a Geo-Fenced area, and battery is good for 2-3 days on a charge. Geo-Fencing can be set in several different ways, fixed area or 360º distance from your phone. Position is shown on a map, or you can use the Augmented reality option where you hold up your phone and it uses the camera to superimpose the location and direction on the 'live view', which I think is way cool. At $200 it is a bit expensive but it does come with 2 years of data tracking as well as working in 30+ countries, this is due to the General Packet Radio Service it uses for data transmission. Plus the tracker weighs only 25grs and is water and shock resistant, if you consider the cost of 24 months of data plan for other solutions it is not that bad.

http://www.traxfamily.com/index.html

F6Rider said:
I guess I am going to go with the TRAX system, it just seems to be the most reliable and accurate systems. It uses signals from all 3 satellite systems, GPS, Glonass, and Galileo to get a fix accurate to 5-15'. This position fix is sent to an API via GPRS, a data only 2,5Ghz system piggybacked on all major networks. Data is sent when the unit is 'pinged' or it moves outside a Geo-Fenced area, and battery is good for 2-3 days on a charge. Geo-Fencing can be set in several different ways, fixed area or 360º distance from your phone. Position is shown on a map, or you can use the Augmented reality option where you hold up your phone and it uses the camera to superimpose the location and direction on the 'live view', which I think is way cool. At $200 it is a bit expensive but it does come with 2 years of data tracking as well as working in 30+ countries, this is due to the General Packet Radio Service it uses for data transmission. Plus the tracker weighs only 25grs and is water and shock resistant, if you consider the cost of 24 months of data plan for other solutions it is not that bad.

Can you tell us where you found this for $200? I've only seen it for $250... or 200 Euros overseas...

I think the TRAX would be the better choice but their website has it listed for $274.82. I wonder where the different quoted prices are from?

marine9 said:
I think the TRAX would be the better choice but their website has it listed for $274.82. I wonder where the different quoted prices are from?

im using my ankle bracelet from fed. just detached it and attached it to phantom. i just tell them where i am going to and not knowing what to use for. so that they will not be alarm. if phantom lost, just call them... its lifetime free. :mrgreen:

I have both the Tagg and TK102B.. Personally I like the TK as far as the track and locating goes but still both of them are in my testing phase.. I'm willing to bet with slight modifications to the already onboard GPS it can be hacked and work parallel (some soldering and process of elimination) with transmitting location.. Just a thought for now, but I'm pleased with both for nowツ!! Good Stuff!!!

PB30X via smoking signals using Tapatalkツ!!

Really considering getting the Tag. Is their anyone that is mounting it either on top or between the legs of the landing skids. Is there any real lose in flight time?

Thanks

extrememc said:
Really considering getting the Tag. Is their anyone that is mounting it either on top or between the legs of the landing skids. Is there any real lose in flight time?

Thanks
Successfully using the Tagg. Works great. Easy to disconnect for recharging but holds a charge for quite a while. Not attaching it to the top or between the legs of the skids buy the location seems excellent for me. Monthly fee is of little concern when it comes to having lost a TBS Discovery Pro equipped with GoPro. Don't buy this product if you fly in your back yard. You won't need a GPS tracker to find it if it goes down and the monthly fee won't be worth it for you. This video shows how it's mounted. Does not affect flight at all. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JxSEXDYP4tE
By the way, it comes with an strong elastic clip to mount a base to the collar for a dog. The quick release allows you to disconnect and mount on the charging base.

mtpisgah said:
marine9 said:

im using my ankle bracelet from fed. just detached it and attached it to phantom. i just tell them where i am going to and not knowing what to use for. so that they will not be alarm. if phantom lost, just call them... its lifetime free. :mrgreen:
so funny!! you are joking right? lol

Geert said:
Anybody experience with Trax ?

Geert.

Looked into this (TRAXX) before purchasing the Tagg. Although I'm not familiar with it's tracking, the options alone lead me to the tagg unit(s). The plan is more flexible for add-ons for tagg and for a dollar more per tracker(99.00 unit) it satisfies my toys securities.

Personally would like to see something from Garmin similar to the Rino radio technology.. They also have dog trackers in that fashion (BIG AND BULKY).. You pay for the unit and you track pure GPS Radio signal and plots your tracking.. If there's anything best in any lost situation it would be strictly GPS.. But that's my opinion.. Proved many friends wrong with these radiosツ! I'm very experienced with GPS with Hunting, Hiking and Tracking in the outdoors.. Being deep woods in and out of cellphone range, most communications are lost and happen quite often especially in the back countries.. This has been covered in the forum but the search feature leaves much to be desired, I'm also New Here and the search feature can be a pain. Many options.. This is without a doubt an insurance purchase on your QUAD!! Many choices but hopefully something comes along better than the options readily available.. Especially if you have lots of these toysツ!! Good Luck..

PB30X via smoking signals using Tapatalkツ!!

extrememc said:

Thanks

i mounted my tagg to one of the legs, it's pretty easy to attach and detach.

It weights 32g, plus maybe a few more grams for the mounting bracket.

at that weight, it will cut about 30 seconds of flight time from a Phantom 1, and guessing about the same for a Phantom 2.
but for me, it's a worthwhile investment, as I have two quads that I can switch it between, and I'd rather not lose another one.

here's a pic of how mine is mounted. it can also be swiveled inwards a bit to make it fit better into my case.

Attachments

• tracker.jpg
    tracker.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 428
Received my Tagg yesterday, set it up and tested it today. It was able to find my P2V right down to be parking spot about 8 miles away from the home point. I feel very confident that I've protected my investment.

Diner did you use the app to locate?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akinproplumbing