Track that Drone

Reaction score
Haver a buddy who has hunting dogs and he uses these to track his dogs.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/GPS-GSM-SMS-Trac ... 18c&_uhb=1

He has a pay as you go plan for his with this he can get a location

I am picking one up for my phantom Vision and a cheap Pay as you go sim

Here is the scoop.

HOW IT WORKS

Simply insert a GSM sim card into the GPS unit. Whenever you call the unit it will respond with the coordinates of its location thru a SMS message.
You can then use these coordinates on any mapping software (for example google map) which will show where exactly the unit is located.

You can also have the device to send the data directly to a computer thru GPRS and display its location on a map with other management software for
real-time location tracking.

it can also do interval sends of info to you or if something moves too fast it will tell you etc..
Obviously the speed and sound features don't / won't work with the drone but the calling feature will
your drone lands somewhere or you can't find it well you call it and it sends you via SMS it's coordinates then you cut paste into google maps and start walking..

for the cost of a pay as you go sim load $10 on it and you probably won't go through $10 a year really you only need to call it when you can't find it...

Very cool! Gonna get it now!

I would double-check the dimensions and weight. If you go by the posted specifications this thing is huge.

I went with this one:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Mini-Realti ... 25853ef283

You can see how it compares with the size of a normal sim card on this picture of its simcard slot:

299c8e5bbc1cd80c.jpg

I would like to know how it performs and if it has a good range. Have you tried it?

It works on a Sim card so as long as you have a cell connection for it you will get a signal.. now they also have GPS in them as well which would be more accurate

the units use GPS if it can and if for some reason it can't then you can track using Cell...

the iPhone for example with no sim in it can still get a CPS signal and give you a co ordinates where it is BUT you can't see the maps on your map application without either pre downloading the map or using Cellular Technology...

my buddy has his hooked to cell and gets his dog's locals from his iPhone.... the most I believe his dogs have been away is half kilometre or perhaps more not sure

I am going to buy one and test it by leaving it in my back yard and taking a walk... I will know how far I am away from it by how far I have walked and will see how far the tracking lasts...

I am betting I would get more range then I would get with the Vision...

Oh the size is not bad then. Just a tad bigger than the one I got (65 x 45 x 15 mm).

Here's a pic with iPhone 5 for comparison:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    167.9 KB · Views: 4,692
Those units work well, I've used a few with roaming sims so they pretty much always get a network... It should always get gps as you are flying out in the open. Cell based location isn't very accurate -- if there's only one cell in view then it's very inaccurate!

I would fix it with a tie or something, not the magnet!

Also I would not query the position while flying -- the transmit from the unit could upset the link to the drone - we know the drone rx is prone to interference....

Agree this would be a last resort thing for a forced landing out of sight or an uncontrolled flyaway

iDrone said:
LeoS, where & how do you mount yours on your PV?

iDrone

I put a patch of industrial velcro on the back, just before the battery. I tilt the camera fully downward when affixing the velcro to make sure the gps tracker doesn't get in its way.

m9QeaB8l.jpg

I use velcro because I make use of the tracker for other things, since it works so well. On this last trip, I stashed it in my backpack as a security device, where I keep all my valuables...

Where do you get an inexpensive, non-expiring, pay-as-you-go SIM card to use in the tracker?

not sure if this would work, but you can go to tracfone.com. Get a for for free or as little as 20 bucks. They have a pay as you go plan. You can buy rollover minutes that will last a year or last 90 days. They give you a free 20minutes when you activate the phone. I know because I have done all the previous steps because I wanted a phone that doesn't have my name on it in case of an "emergency" Like some other guy said, 20 minutes should be enough this is only a last resort in case of a flyaway, your not actually using any of the minutes.

I am guessing you can just switch the sim card out of the phone and put it in the device. I have not done this last step since I don't actually have a tracker

anyone see any flaws with that idea?

garygid said:
Where do you get an inexpensive, non-expiring, pay-as-you-go SIM card to use in the tracker?

I ordered one from AT&T. The sim card was about $10 delivered. They offer a pay-as-you go plan where calls are 10 cents a minute and text messages are 20 cents each.

-- Roger

juarboleda said:
But 300 grs ? Heavy ?

Which one is that?

Mine is quoted at 40gr. I don't have a small/kitchen scale to confirm it, but it's pretty dang light and I don't notice significant change in flight characteristic on my PV with it attached.

doesn't the vision app have a last know location or "find me drone" in the app? i thought i saw that in a walk through...

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl