Track that Drone

Yeah, unfortunately the Tile is just not practical for something that might fly away at several knots for 15+ minutes could cover several miles easily. You pretty much need a GPS device of some sort.

2 miles is nothing. It may help you if you have a crash while flying LOS but if you have a fly away, forget it. Model rockets... yes, a quad that can travel miles, no. Just one mans opinion.

LuvMyTJ said:
2 miles is nothing. It may help you if you have a crash while flying LOS but if you have a fly away, forget it. Model rockets... yes, a quad that can travel miles, no. Just one mans opinion.
That's true, but 2 miles is NOT LOS, unless you are a eagle :D . I was thinking more along the lines of a power loss, but you're right, if you have any battery left a fly away will take it further than that. BUT, if you know in which direction it went doing a spot check every 3 miles or so is not hard. Even if it flew 5 miles in an unknown direction a 2 mile square grid search would take a day. Most of these GSM trackers are on AT&T, which has crappy coverage outside of metro areas, if your bird goes down in a non-coverage area you are out of luck. At least with this system I have a good chance of finding it without cell coverage. Now if it was on the Verizon network that would be a different matter. At least here in the US. A direct to satellite tracker ala Onstar would be the best, I can see it now, "Hello On Star, can you tell me where my Quad is please" :lol: :lol:

I don't know I guess it depends on the locality.... in my state Verizon coverage seems to be worse than AT&T coverage but these units have GPS as well as cell so if it flys out of cell phone range the GPS has got it and if someone finds it and moves it it will send a location as soon as cell coverage is back....... I don't think anything out there is perfect for this application but this seemed the most cost effective with a pay as you go txt only sim and a $30 tracker

The best thing would be if DJI made it impossible to have a fly away........ fat chance of that how else will they sell quads to other than GAS addicts then. But they sure can limit the flight with rotten software upgrades for other reasons.

JimDE said:
I just saw this on another site and am still trying to get the soda out of my nose

http://youtu.be/hB9THQ8FxRA

Best of luck early adopters.......... DJI strikes again .....
:roll: What does this have to do with the thread topic? If you post in the correct areas you'll likely get a better response.

In regards to my post a few pages back...

I ended up ordering one of the Guardian Angel trackers - only to realize that it operates on 2.4GHz after I ordered it. I received this Guardian Angel tracker a couple of days ago, and was planning on just selling it, but noticed something that got me thinking...

On the box it says that the tag's battery life is 8 hours or 30 days on standby. This got me thinking that maybe the tag sits in standby, not transmitting anything, until it receives a signal from the transmitter (which, if it worked this way, I assume wouldn't interfere with the quadcopter).

I decided to email the company I got it from (not expecting a reply regarding a technical question), and got a reply yesterday:

The frequency that 807G2 is using sync mode ( less than 500 us )per 250 ms period at standby mode.

And frequency 250 channel cover 2.40 - 2.45 Ghz by MSK (minimum shift key) , if you detect interference happen that you can do repair process to change channel.

In standby mode, M07 will keep scan tags if there have any tag not connect .

You can turn off power if you are not in use

If you have any question, please don't hesitate to contact with us, we are here to help. Thanks

Because I'm nowhere near an expert on this stuff, can anyone tell if this is going to help my situation, or should I still just dump this tracker? I'd like to use it, but obviously I'm afraid that it'll cause interference with the Phantom (v1.1.1).

The Guardian Angel has some poor reviews. It also only works up to 1600' LOS. Things like trees will shorten that distance significantly. It may work for a crash but probably not a fly away.

LuvMyTJ said:
The Guardian Angel has some poor reviews. It also only works up to 1600' LOS. Things like trees will shorten that distance significantly. It may work for a crash but probably not a fly away.

Yup... I was thinking that I would hopefully have a rough idea of where it crashed - or the direction that it took off during a flyaway - and even if it had a range of 500' would probably be enough to help locate it. When I lost my quadcopter, if I would have had a tracker that worked within 20', I would have found it - as I walked right passed it a couple of times.

I'm new to Phantoms - should get my Vision + next week sometime. I want to protect my investment and wonder if I need a separate GPS tracker. Would you guys recommend it? Or does the built-in GPS work sufficiently for recovery in case of a crash or fly-away?

Was eying the http://tagg.com device as it seems really simple to use and setup.

TJ mine arrived today.... thankfully it does have two backs one with and one without magnets. Noticed the one with magnets only has two and not 4 magnets as I have seen in pics. I got 2 batteries, 2 backs, the unit, a charger base, a charger plug, a usb cable for the charger, a pouch, a instruction boo let, and a mini dvd. Thumbing through it as I have the batteries charging and no xim card yet. I see the number for Orange we discussed is given on a txt command to the unit and not written down on its back.

Did yours have the mini SD card slot TJ?

proximo said:
I'm new to Phantoms - should get my Vision + next week sometime. I want to protect my investment and wonder if I need a separate GPS tracker. Would you guys recommend it? Or does the built-in GPS work sufficiently for recovery in case of a crash or fly-away?

Was eying the http://tagg.com device as it seems really simple to use and setup.
It is in your best interest to do some research on the TAGG unit prior to purchase. It has pretty poor reviews and some have said it is off by miles.

JimDE said:
TJ mine arrived today.... thankfully it does have two backs one with and one without magnets. Noticed the one with magnets only has two and not 4 magnets as I have seen in pics. I got 2 batteries, 2 backs, the unit, a charger base, a charger plug, a usb cable for the charger, a pouch, a instruction boo let, and a mini dvd. Thumbing through it as I have the batteries charging and no xim card yet. I see the number for Orange we discussed is given on a txt command to the unit and not written down on its back.

Did yours have the mini SD card slot TJ?

Yes, it had all of that stuff. Heres a pic. The barcode number is the important one.

2qbdf0h.jpg

2rgp35w.jpg

F6Rider said:
I did not want to look thru all these pages but I use this unit, a Marco Poll, very easy to use and has good range. Does NOT depend on limited AT&T coverage but is a stand alone unit that will lead you right to your bird to within inches. Works out past 2 miles which is plenty for most of us.
http://eurekaproducts.com/rc-model-tracking-and-recovery/

same here, using products from eureka as it was only weighted below 13grams.

i'm still searching for small light weight gsm tracker to combined with this thing in future.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 620
proximo said:

I don't really know how well the built in GPS tracking thing works with the Vision.

But after my recent flyaway, I went with the Tagg tracker, as it fits on my F450 and Phantom pretty well and only weighs 32g.

The past few times I've gone out and tried to see how well it works with my phone, and it does appear to work just fine. within 20ft of my location when viewed on my iPhone, good enough for me.

what I like about it is that it's rather solid and self contained. (because it's meant for pets). relatively easy to set up and has a nice iPhone interface.
can't complain. tho I've not tried any other GPS tracker so I can't really compare.

I have the same model and mount it with Velcro tape. Now having said that you must be registered with a cell Co. And the initial cost here in the U S with Verizon is $10.00 and then $10.00 every three months, that's still pretty cheap to know where your copter has landed and can be retrieved , for $40.00 a year

I just got off the phone with AT&T ... The best plan plan they say they have for prepaid sim is $100 per year pre load to use in a 102 style tracker..... This what everyone else is paying for these?

JimDE said:
I just got off the phone with AT&T ... The best plan plan they say they have for prepaid sim is $100 per year pre load to use in a 102 style tracker..... This what everyone else is paying for these?
Yeah, AT&T is $10 a month, $25 for 3 months, or $100 for the year.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akinproplumbing