Track that Drone

gunslinger said:
TexomaEV said:
Weather has not been good for flying around here, but I had to play with the "TAGG" unit. So I took it out for a drive and went from the city, to several places out in the sticks, well out of my typical flying area by a large radius. So far I'm plenty happy with it, the messages I get via email & in the phone app regarding it's location when requested. I'll be sticking with the TAGG system.

Tex:

Do you have any pictures of the TAGG installed on the P2V? What does the range seem to be? I didn't get a lot of in depth info from their web site...

Thanks...
-slinger

On page #10 in this discussion topic you will see a posting from me with three photos, two of which are with the "TAGG" device attached to the P2V. It hardly weighs anything. I think it was something like 1.17 grams.

TexomaEV said:
gunslinger said:
TexomaEV said:
Weather has not been good for flying around here, but I had to play with the "TAGG" unit. So I took it out for a drive and went from the city, to several places out in the sticks, well out of my typical flying area by a large radius. So far I'm plenty happy with it, the messages I get via email & in the phone app regarding it's location when requested. I'll be sticking with the TAGG system.

Tex:

Do you have any pictures of the TAGG installed on the P2V? What does the range seem to be? I didn't get a lot of in depth info from their web site...

Thanks...
-slinger

On page #10 in this discussion topic you will see a posting from me with three photos, two of which are with the "TAGG" device attached to the P2V. It hardly weighs anything. I think it was something like 1.17 grams.

OH! Sorry, man... I missed it. Actually I remember seeing that picture but didn't remember what the device was. Thanks a lot...

-slinger

I'm thinking of getting one of these...

http://www.keyringer.com/

It supposedly has up to a 300 foot range and it's pretty small and light. It doesn't depend on cell phone towers, GPS, power sources... It's not as cool a tool as most of the stuff in this thread, but I think it'd be pretty effective... And just 30 bucks.

-slinger

gunslinger said:
I'm thinking of getting one of these...

http://www.keyringer.com/

It supposedly has up to a 300 foot range and it's pretty small and light. It doesn't depend on cell phone towers, GPS, power sources... It's not as cool a tool as most of the stuff in this thread, but I think it'd be pretty effective... And just 30 bucks.

-slinger

And to top it all, it rhymes with your handle, too.

"The Gunslinger Keyringer"...

Anyone else running the tagg? Besides that one guy who posted the pictures. The cost is a little higher but it SEEMS like you'll get more coverage area. The tk102 is certainly cheaper but what I am worried about is you get a sim card on a network, go flying someplace and god forbid have a flyaway and it lands in someplace that has no cell coverage. Its pretty easy to get GPS signal most anywhere but if you don't have cell coverage then you can't ping your phantom for coordinates. We all know that cell coverage maps may claim that they cover an entire state, but have seen firsthand mysterious black hole gaps in coverage that randomly occur with dropped calls even in densely populated areas.
Maybe I am being overcautious because you probably have a 1/1000 chance of a random flyaway and then another 1/100 chance thst it lands in a place with no cell service and can't be pinged, but I just want as much coverage as possible.

Also the tk102 inputs the coordinates to Google maps, does anyone know the map service tagg uses? Is it Google maps or there own native map service. It seems Google maps is the standard for topography. Hell apple tried to develop there own maps and failed and then went back to Google.

The map I posted from the email response sent from the tagg query is a "Bing" map. You can see that in one of the photos I posted. The satellite imagery used in the phone app, is probably also "Bing" if I were to guess. But I can tell you , the imagery from both Bing & Google both look darn close to each other at least in my flight area. Be aware, even the TAGG unit needs cell coverage, but I think the advantage is they must have some sort of agreement with all carriers because, where I drove this weekend testing the accuracy of location in a 25 mile radius of my typical flight area, cell service with a just one carrier would not have worked very well if at all. If you are concerned with usability, you could probably purchase the unit at a retail box store, test it out like I did driving around in the outermost area of where it could possibly fly, if it left your control. It comes with 3 months of service, which is plenty of time to test/evaluate, and if you don't like, should be able to return to at least your bigbox store.

I mentioned that the TK102b thingy failed to work out in the boondocks at our rocket launch last weekend. I just noticed something kinda funny. I just realized that later in the day I had received a text message from the tracker.

I had tried calling it at the launch then, when that didn't work, I sent it a command in a text message. The text message was eventually delivered when the tracker connected to AT&Ts network and it responded with its location. Of course, by that time, I was already home. And the location was my house.

The calls are coming from inside the house! :)

-- Roger

TexomaEV said:
The map I posted from the email response sent from the tagg query is a "Bing" map. You can see that in one of the photos I posted. The satellite imagery used in the phone app, is probably also "Bing" if I were to guess. But I can tell you , the imagery from both Bing & Google both look darn close to each other at least in my flight area. Be aware, even the TAGG unit needs cell coverage, but I think the advantage is they must have some sort of agreement with all carriers because, where I drove this weekend testing the accuracy of location in a 25 mile radius of my typical flight area, cell service with a just one carrier would not have worked very well if at all. If you are concerned with usability, you could probably purchase the unit at a retail box store, test it out like I did driving around in the outermost area of where it could possibly fly, if it left your control. It comes with 3 months of service, which is plenty of time to test/evaluate, and if you don't like, should be able to return to at least your bigbox store.

That sounds like a great idea. I've looked at a bunch of options out here and the TAGG is in my top three. Good advice, man.. .

Thanks...
-slinger

Please let us know how the TAGG works out. I'm about to pull the trigger on one as well, but I think I'll wait to hear how it works out for a couple other people first.

Ok... couldn't wait. I pulled the trigger and bought it (Tagg tracker). I'll post back when I get a chance to use it (probably won't be for quite awhile - as I'm waiting on my new Phantom).

Got my tk102b yesterday.
Powered it up and it powered up fine
came with 2 backs 1 with and 1 without magnets
2 batteries
Charger
cable
manual and CD
and a waterproof ziplock bag

have to get a sim from the pay as you go and all should be good

Well $#@!. I just noticed on the Tagg website that they have a coverage map. I never even thought to check into that. It only works in the US - so because I'm in Canada, it's absolutely useless to me.

Looks like I'll have one for sale if anyone is interested. I haven't received it yet, but it'll be brand spanking new & unopened.

just bought the TAGG tracker, its almost like it was specifically designed for the Phantom the way it can sit behind my gimbal. Ill get some pictures up and let you know how it actually works soon.

Here is my long range tracking device (still needs to be attached to the "Drone")

It's called the FMkit (more info: http://fmtv.us/rf_beacon.html)
IMAG1161.jpg

I'm using a 3 element boom with my Yaesu radio to find it back.
(antenna info: http://www.arrowantennas.com )

IMAG1164.jpg

So.. Now when I lose one of my multicopters I will be doing some radio fox hunting :)

I received my tk102b yesterday and have enjoyed testing with it. It worked fine right out of the box with my AT$T GoPhone SIM. I may experiment with some of the GPRS options as well. We used to use us high end trackers from BigRedBee for high altitude rockets and the GPRS was published to the net for others to track rockets via GoogleEarth and GPRS data.

Does anyone have any technical reason to believe these GSM/GPRS devices can interfere with any P2 functionality in GPS, gyro, compass,etc. Of course I am not using the magnet back.

I also just ordered one of the RF beacons as well as I have always wanted to give that a try. Will attempt same with my Yaesu.

Finally, I called TAGG. They use Verizon which is weak in my area compared to AT&T though they tell me their coverage map shows as strong as it is b/c they use low end data capabilities (maybe 1XRTT or whatever their pre 3G and beyond data service). I may buy one to try and use on the dogs otherwise.

Noël said:
Here is my long range tracking device (still needs to be attached to the "Drone")

It's called the FMkit (more info: http://fmtv.us/rf_beacon.html)
IMAG1161.jpg

I'm using a 3 element boom with my Yaesu radio to find it back.
(antenna info: http://www.arrowantennas.com )

IMAG1164.jpg

So.. Now when I lose one of my multicopters I will be doing some radion fox hunting :)

Noel--Do you know for sure you need that antenna on your Yaesu or will my extended whip antenna on my VX-8R radio work?

What else do I need to know about the process to have success with the RF beacon? I may use them on one of the Phantoms but more likely in my son's Estes rockets...

Thanks!

TXhillcountryphantom said:
Does anyone have any technical reason to believe these GSM/GPRS devices can interfere with any P2 functionality in GPS, gyro, compass,etc. Of course I am not using the magnet back.

A couple of us have flown them on our Visions with no apparent interference.

I may have to check out the Tagg though. The spot where we launch rockets (and I tested the TK102) doesn't have AT&T coverage.

-- Roger

TXhillcountryphantom said:
Noel--Do you know for sure you need that antenna on your Yaesu or will my extended whip antenna on my VX-8R radio work?

What else do I need to know about the process to have success with the RF beacon? I may use them on one of the Phantoms but more likely in my son's Estes rockets...

Thanks!

The boom is a must for doing a directional search!
Here is where I got all the needed info from: http://e2b.org/8B
I think that this is the way to go.. Especially for the rocket stuff!

Here a small demo how the FOX in the FMkit works.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YREP3ctwLrU
IE: When the FMkit stops hearing the motor (noise) it will activate. (you can also set it on a timer)

Small howto http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tQ8gNHAFXXY (not with the RFbeacon, but same principle)

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DonT