Track that Drone

Exactly.

And because (apart from periodic HLR updates) it only listens to the cell, it's not going to transmit unexpectedly and interfere with the PV receivers.
The TK102 is prettyl light, and mine runs for about a week before it runs flat if not charged so it has good battery life.

You could use a small beeper in the craft - the sort that only beeps when the rx is not receiving - to aid the last few meters of location.

Yup, I can confirm.

Due to its physical size, technologies used and how it's implemented (and also the really low cost), I think the tk102b is a no brainer really.

I really like how simple it works to text you via SMS (ubiquitous service) a google earth link that you can click to open with your smartphone to a fully graphical interface that pinpoints your tracker's location. And it's virtually silent with very very minimal indication that it's working, in case your craft falls to the wrong hands and you need to track where it's located over long period of time while you 'chase' it =P

I put a velcro over the 'GPS Tracker' label of mine and positions the very small LEDs toward (the back of) my PV camera, so it looks like a plain black box for the uninformed.

iDrone said:
Klaus said:
...doesn't the vision app have a last know location or "find me drone" in the app? i thought i saw that in a walk through... ...Isn't that kind of the same thing already build in? or...... what?

Vision relays its position back to your phone via Range Extender WiFi. As long as you still have a connection, the Vision app's "Find my Phantom 2 Vision" feature works. But when you lose the connection, the finder can no longer update Vision's location. You can walk towards its last updated position and attempt to reconnect. If successful Vision will relay its current location.

When you call a GPS tracker it sends an SMS text message of its current location to your smartphone. In the message is a URL. Click the link and your Vision's location is displayed in Google Maps on your smartphone.

iDrone

Ahhhh... This sounds like a real good idea. I've been ignoring this thread, but noticed that it has legs and just keeps on going. So... I thought I'd check in and see why. Glad I did. You call this thing, so it has an actual phone number assigned that goes with the SIM that you pay as you go for? (I'd re-engineer that sentence to be more cohesive, but my coffee hasn't kicked in yet... so... )

So... I can go to an AT&T store, get the SIM, drop a few bucks into the plan and I'm all set? I can buy the unit for around $30, so that appears to be a no brainer. I was just worried about ongoing expense and this deflates that concern quite nicely...

Thanks...
-slinger

That's about it.
I use multi network data only sims, with enough sms included that you'd never use it up for the PV!
The good thing about that is that it will use any available network, not just one....
Not sure if you can get that in the USA.

I'm using AT&T's GoPhone SIM, but I'm just checking-out H20 which might even be a better deal. It's not like any of the phone companies wanna make it easy for us to figure out what their cheapest plan is, so I'm still going thu the fine print. Here's a link if anyone in the USA is interested:
https://www.h2owirelessnow.com/pageControl.php?page=planMin

BTW I've mentioned it before, there are -many- versions of the TK102 & TK102B out there, at least make sure it supports GSM, GPRS, & GPS (some claimed GPS but were using cell-tower's GPS coord's & triangulation w/poor accuracy cuz they didn't even have a GPS satellite receiver chipset or antenna). Read the fine print.

iDrone

On top of the expected cost, don't forget to check the coverage area of the carrier as well :)

We might be talking dollars and cents difference which may end up as an insurance policy for our phantoms!

I'd first zone in on the carrier(s) with suitable coverage area, then look for the best plan on it. Or in certain cases, your supermarket or price club may have their own version of the SIM card that works on said carrier at a cheaper rate (aldi for one).

Differences between TK102 and TK102B?
The B has 1MB built in memory for storing 16k track points?
No SD card required?
Standby increased to 7 days from 80 hours?
Second back included, with no magnets?

It appears that there are many look-alikes, knock-ups, or just fakes of these Trackers.
What is a good reliable (hopefully USA located) source for the real, reliable TK102B?

Thanks, Gary

@idrone

The reason I was thinking of Server based tracking via these devices; with a small subscription, is A) I work for company that does that, and sells devices similar to these that does SMS and also talks to our server. B) the SMS is great but in a crash the SIM could pop out, so then if the device was reporting to the server you could get a LKL, on your Iphone, driod, Nokia or windows based device. I know in the heat of the moment I cannot think to exit the DJI app, text a random number a random code to get the location, and hope it's close enough to where It crashes.

I think we all crash, and fear the Fly away. I'm thinking we might even be able to log the Data (Not quite on the milisecond level that flytrex does) but enough to give an added service of CSV logs for dashware

pileosnafu said:
@idrone

The reason I was thinking of Server based tracking via these devices; with a small subscription, is A) I work for company that does that, and sells devices similar to these that does SMS and also talks to our server. B) the SMS is great but in a crash the SIM could pop out, so then if the device was reporting to the server you could get a LKL, on your Iphone, driod, Nokia or windows based device. I know in the heat of the moment I cannot think to exit the DJI app, text a random number a random code to get the location, and hope it's close enough to where It crashes.

I think we all crash, and fear the Fly away. I'm thinking we might even be able to log the Data (Not quite on the milisecond level that flytrex does) but enough to give an added service of CSV logs for dashware

The sim card is internal and won't pop out. If that worries you though, a little tape will ensure it can't happen.
Personally I don't want in flight live data via a cellular device as I don't want the device transmitting while in flight...

iDrone said:
Those are cell tower triangulation based trackers (low accuracy) and don't even have a GPS antenna or chipset in them.

iDrone

Suppose it sort of make sense, since if you don't get cellular signal then it won't be able to send you anything anyway.

If not for the decreased accuracy, the smaller size, weight and even cheaper cost would make this rather appealing.

I have my "Tagg" device installed on my P2V. It's all of 1.17oz and mounts up under the battery bay very easily with velcro. Came with three months free service, $7.95 after that, or under $7 if you pay a year in advance. You can stop/start the service without penalty, or activation fees, and there's no limit on how many times you can obtain GPS coordinates. The app will use your phone's GPS & mapping giving you directions to the tagg device. Normally if used on a pet, you could set the area (fence) to a radius you'd like to be alerted if it left that region. In our "PET" case, we can put the unit in what the manufacturer calls "Trip" mode, so it doesn't send your phone an alert when it's away from it's home area. As you can see in the photo the area where I'll be flying is in the middle of pretty much nowhere and according to the tagg service coverage map, it is fully covered there. This makes me think they have a deal with all cell carriers to utilize all sources of signal to increase the usability of the TAGG system. No sim to insert or keep activated, sealed/extremely water resistant and if it can withstand the conditions of hanging around a dog or cat 24/7, I suspect it will suffice for the P2V. Can't wait for flying weather to play/test further.

Attachments

• P2V_Tagg2.jpg
    P2V_Tagg2.jpg
    345.4 KB · Views: 421
  • P2V_Tagg3.jpg
    P2V_Tagg3.jpg
    121.3 KB · Views: 410
  • P2V_Tagg.jpg
    P2V_Tagg.jpg
    115.3 KB · Views: 446
There are also this solution. StickNfind
url]

It's not GPS but Bluetooth and of course the range are not fantastic bout around 50m.
That can maybe be enough in many situations where your Phantom maybe have landed in high grass or bush.
Should it Phantom go crazy and fly away so you cant see it anymore and where it have landed, you can go to their website and get the GPS coordinates for where it was last seen. They actually also send you a email with a google map where it was last seen.
I tried it at my house and got the email with exact location of my house.
You track it yourself with a radar function/app on your mobile. The app don't tell exact where it is, but as soon as you start walking you can see if you get closer or walk in the wrong direction. When you are close but maybe still can't see it you can push a button on you mobile and the StickNfind are making a sound (wish it was a little louder) and it is also flashing a light which is quite powerfull when it is a little dark.
There are a lot of other functions and how you can use them. A funny one they have one their website are a guy who put one in his wife's handbag and when she have been out and are driving in at the driveway, you mobile will make a sound to warn you, so the guy in the advert start cleaning up and do the dishes :D
You can buy a two pack for $49 - They are self adhesive and comes with a little plastic thing where you stick them on. and then you can put them on your pet, your child or anything.

Hmmm it's not working posting a photo??? It's still just a link.

What are you guys doing to post photos in here?

Klaus said:
Hmmm it's not working posting a photo??? It's still just a link.
What are you guys doing to post photos in here?
If you have sharing disabled on your a Flickr account you can't. You could save it to your computer, then upload it here... When "Posting a reply" look below the edit box for the "Upload attachment" tab (above Disable BBCode).

iDrone

@Klaus: that thing is very unreliable; both the hardware and the app that comes with it. I backed it when it was on Indiegogo and got a strip of 10, none of them are in use. Wait, I think I have one stuck to my passport, but it's nearly useless.

Also, when you say you can track it through their website, you have to understand that the last time it registers the item when it was connected to your smartphone AND when you have its app open (AND when you have your smartphone connected to the net). Chances are when you need it, it'll show your house when you test it last time cause you don't usually run the app until something is actually lost.

Also, 50m is way too optimistic.

But, since it nearly weighs next to nothing, I guess you could affix it to make it sound as a buzzer. The only time it's useful IMHO is when you're looking for your phantom in the dark or if the phantom is covered in light cover (shrubberies, bushes), cause otherwise the phantom will be big enough to spot when it's within Bluetooth range.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj