Track that Drone

well the long wait for my tk102b has ended, it arrived today , and it dosent work lol, someone in china needs to get the message across that quality assurance and instruction manuals are just as important as getting the product out the door, for gods sake , surely it cant be hard for and company to get someone from an english speaking country to check their manuals before they go to press?????????

shortyuk,
Specifically which tracker, from which vendor, (link please) did you buy?
(so that others can avoid it)

bought mine off ebay, its the small black box version that has been shown on here many times, not saying they would all be the same, mine might just be a bad one

I'm going another way....

I've just ordered a UHF RF Beacon (called FMkit)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rmc3gboiGkI

What is the "FmKit"?

It is a radio transmitter that has a small computer controlling it. It is designed to broadcast a signal (a tone code) on a specified frequency. It will send the tone code either after a set amount of time from being powered on, or after it stops "hearing" your aircraft, and it continues to receive power. The 2nd option is called "Vox" mode, and is preferred by most. Which mode the FmKit uses in user programmable along with the frequency that the radio uses to broadcast on.

Ok, the aircraft is missing, how does the FmKit that is on the lost aircraft help; What do you need to do?

You need a radio receiver that can "listen" for that tone code on the frequency that it is being broadcast on. And, it is helpful, if the receiver you use has a directional antenna. And, depending upon the distance to the FmKit, an antenna that increases gain.

What frequency should it be on?

The best frequencies to use are those that are:

A, Legal for you to use in your area.
B, Not crowded by other equipment using that frequency.
C. Programmed or able to be programmed into the radio you have or plan to get.

More info here: http://fmtv.us/rf_beacon.html

I haven't posted any links to Sellers here because I'm still hashing out issues with one of them, and in the process of seeing if we can find a decent one for RC'ers to use. Shortyuk, you might post what's not working and well try to assist if you like. As I've said, the firmware & commands vary from Seller to Seller, but basic GPS location functionality should work, its sensitivity and the remaining features plus battery consumption that seem to vary. If I ever get this sorted out I'll post the info on the forum.

iDrone

iDrone said:
I haven't posted any links to Sellers here because I'm still hashing out issues with one of them, and in the process of seeing if we can find a decent one for RC'ers to use. Shortyuk, you might post what's not working and well try to assist if you like. As I've said, the firmware & commands vary from Seller to Seller, but basic GPS location functionality should work, its sensitivity and the remaining features plus battery consumption that seem to vary. If I ever get this sorted out I'll post the info on the forum.

The one I got from Amazon.com seems to work fine. It was sold by a seller called "Save-N-Shop."

-- Roger

@LeoS & jadebox, how are the commands formatted on yours? Let's take the "begin" command, which of these does yours use (FYI mine uses the latter):

1) begin123456
or
2) #begin#123456#

iDrone

iDrone said:
I know LeoS gets great standby times (close to a week I think), how 'bout you jadebox? (I'm only getting about 10hrs w/new battery)

I haven't actually timed it, but I think it's more than a day.

BTW ... I tested the tracker at last weekend's rocket launch at our club's site out in the middle of nowhere. I attached the tracker with "Command" strips. It didn't appear to affect the flight. But, when I called the tracker's number I got the "Not Reachable" message from the phone company. So, out in the country at least, it appears that AT&T's service doesn't work.

-- Roger

iDrone said:
@LeoS & jadebox, how are the commands formatted on yours? Let's take the "begin" command, which of these does yours use (FYI mine uses the latter):

1) begin123456
or
2) #begin#123456#

Mine uses the first syntax.

-- Roger

Weather has not been good for flying around here, but I had to play with the "TAGG" unit. So I took it out for a drive and went from the city, to several places out in the sticks, well out of my typical flying area by a large radius. So far I'm plenty happy with it, the messages I get via email & in the phone app regarding it's location when requested. I'll be sticking with the TAGG system.

Attachments

• Tagg_P2V.jpg
    Tagg_P2V.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 425
iDrone said:

1) begin123456
or
2) #begin#123456#

iDrone

The first one worked for me.

hi jadebox, i have the version which according to manual has command string

begin123456

trouble is when i insert sim, then battery it lights up solid green straight away, no matter how long i leave it outside it stays solid green. According to the manual it should flash when it acquires satellites , phone masts etc.also the on off switch seems to do nothing ??????, is it a dud do you think??

TexomaEV said:
Weather has not been good for flying around here, but I had to play with the "TAGG" unit. So I took it out for a drive and went from the city, to several places out in the sticks, well out of my typical flying area by a large radius. So far I'm plenty happy with it, the messages I get via email & in the phone app regarding it's location when requested. I'll be sticking with the TAGG system.

Thanks for the update TexomaEV. I'm probably going to get the TAGG tracker and would love to hear how it works for you with it attached to the Phantom. It sounds to me as the best option available so far.

TexomaEV said:

Tex:

Do you have any pictures of the TAGG installed on the P2V? What does the range seem to be? I didn't get a lot of in depth info from their web site...

Thanks...
-slinger

shortyuk said:
trouble is when i insert sim, then battery it lights up solid green straight away, no matter how long i leave it outside it stays solid green. According to the manual it should flash when it acquires satellites , phone masts etc.also the on off switch seems to do nothing ??????, is it a dud do you think??

I don't have it here right now, but as I recall, it seems to turn on automatically when I either connect or disconnect the charger. I don't recall which, but I do remember being surprised that it turned itself on. Once on, the light is slid green then, after a minute, it blinks slowly. The On/Off switch works on mine, but I see references on the 'net to people having ones where the switch doesn't work.

-- Roger

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20