Rotorpixel gimbal for Phantom Vision

Taco just seems like an awful name for a gimbal.

ezenebub.jpg

LOL

that's just wrong ...

on SO many levels!

LOL

Venom93corba said:
Anyone get any Shipping Notifications today?

Galaxy Note 2

Phantom 2 Vision, Ragecams 5.4 flat lens, Rotorpixel gimbal

No word of new shipping notices since last week. Some speculation about possible issues during installation causing failure of power supply to camera.
I would really hope that Keri or some representative from Rotorpixel drops us a message with a current status update.
Are the gimbals still shipping or has production halted due to some unconfirmed issue?

The prudent thing to do would be to stop production until the analysis of the problem can be determined and corrective actions taken to ensure the gimbals are fit for purpose. I know we had someone recieve their gimbal with the servo cable detached which I presumed was just an oversight from a probable bench test, but it sounds like either a component failure, or something unforseen either in the design, or a procedural problem. A tad worrying when experienced flyers with lots of electronics knowledge are getting problems after installation, and hope Keri gets to the bottom of the problem soon. The fact that its intermittent and not there on all gimbals may suggest a component problem or maybe even a manufacturing issue.

Lets see what comes of it, but for those further up the queue waiting for their gimbals, you might have to hang fire for a few more days yet until this potential problem is resolved.

My gimbal worked fine out of the box, no issues. I followed the installation instructions to the letter, including the firm seating of the plug from the aircraft into the gimbal (it needs clicking home, just like on the Vision camera). It seems highly likely that either a component/manufacture issue has arisen or the correct seating of the Vision plug hasn't always been followed. Either way I wouldn't expect to see any other shipping notices until the issue has been identified and rectified - which is as it should be. I know that new gimbals are going to go out with a sticker over the gimbal power socket to really hammer home the point that you need to fully insert the plug from the Vision all the way in which will hopefully end any user-induced issues.

From the feedback from users affected it looks like Rotorpixel have been dealing with them direct, including one user actively helping Rotorpixel out with testing to help identify the cause, which is great for everyone concerned and bodes well for future support.

I know it's easy for me speaking from the point of someone whose gimbal is already in hand, but if I were still waiting I would want production stopped until the issue is resolved, as opposed to the Vision launch, for example, where they just quietly changed the battery pins on later models and patched up the original ones with a firnware "catch" as opposed to a fix because they had already shipped thousands of the things and obviously hadn't fully tested the pins they were using in mass production as opposed to the dealer prototypes... Just sayin'!

K-Fine said:
It is sounding like the extra $ paid for dronexpert gimbal is paying off two fold!

At the risk of going all Apple Fanboi-like there are a few people who would have taken the fewer $ and the longer wait for a Rotorpixel rather than a dronexpert so as not to have the jello issues, have to hot glue the level sensor in place on their camera, and not have the all-plastic construction split into a thousand pieces after a minor crash... But you do get an aluminium case to keep the bits in!

I'm being a bit unfair, but just pointing out that there hasn't been a perfect option found yet - although my personal experience is that the Rotorpixel when installed and working as design is going to be the closest to that yet in the third-party plug-and-play market.

We've sent out a few dozen units now, and only a few have had problems so far (there are several people who have received them who are not part of this forum, doing private testing for us). This is exactly why we wanted to rev the manufacturing process up a little slower at the beginning... fundamental manufacturing problems can be caught early enough in the process, allowing bulk shipments to be free of issues.

In 2 of the problem cases (where their P2V main board has had a capacitor pop), a short circuit in the "junction board" has been the culprit (the P2V cable plugs into this, and power is split off to the gimbal, and a flexible cable is sent to the camera). We thought that the assembly process quality control system that we've put in place was pretty tight, but obviously there was room for improvement. We had been testing for continuity along each of the 4 conducting cables going to the camera, but were not testing for shorts through all permutations of connections (i.e. testing for short circuits between every possible connection on the barrel connector that inserts into the camera). This thorough test has been added to the QC process at two separate stages, so this problem should be a thing of the past now.

We have around 25 gimbals that were ready to go out today, but the string of problems that were reported over the past few days have set us back while we evaluate the issues and send out replacement parts. Order #XXXXXXX365 and beyond have several new quality control checks instituted to ensure that the problems made aware to us will not be present anymore.

Next week, if all goes as planned, not only will I be back in Canada to finally pump out all of the supporting material that everyone needs, but we'll also be able to ship out a more significant number of gimbals. Stay tuned for more info soon.

Thanks,

Keri

Pull_Up said:
At the risk of going all Apple Fanboi-like there are a few people who would have taken the fewer $ and the longer wait for a Rotorpixel... ...and not have the all-plastic construction split into a thousand pieces after a minor crash... But you do get an aluminium case to keep the bits in!
How gobby Pull_Up! Bwahahahaha!!!
iDrone :lol:

Hello Keri
I have received my gimbal & I would like to say it is a lovely piece of kit & works fine out of the box.
However do you think there is any risk of any problems happening in flight or other with the first batch sent out?

Ie: the one fitted to my Phantom ?

Cheers Glen

Rotorpixel said:
We've sent out a few dozen units now, and only a few have had problems so far (there are several people who have received them who are not part of this forum, doing private testing for us). This is exactly why we wanted to rev the manufacturing process up a little slower at the beginning... fundamental manufacturing problems can be caught early enough in the process, allowing bulk shipments to be free of issues.

In 2 of the problem cases (where their P2V main board has had a capacitor pop), a short circuit in the "junction board" has been the culprit (the P2V cable plugs into this, and power is split off to the gimbal, and a flexible cable is sent to the camera). We thought that the assembly process quality control system that we've put in place was pretty tight, but obviously there was room for improvement. We had been testing for continuity along each of the 4 conducting cables going to the camera, but were not testing for shorts through all permutations of connections (i.e. testing for short circuits between every possible connection on the barrel connector that inserts into the camera). This thorough test has been added to the QC process at two separate stages, so this problem should be a thing of the past now.

We have around 25 gimbals that were ready to go out today, but the string of problems that were reported over the past few days have set us back while we evaluate the issues and send out replacement parts. Order #XXXXXXX365 and beyond have several new quality control checks instituted to ensure that the problems made aware to us will not be present anymore.

Next week, if all goes as planned, not only will I be back in Canada to finally pump out all of the supporting material that everyone needs, but we'll also be able to ship out a more significant number of gimbals. Stay tuned for more info soon.

Thanks,

Keri

Well done Keri, matter professionally dealt with, cant ask for much more than that folks !

:)

Update on my parts order. Keri wrote advising camera mount sent. Almost $50. Not a fan of the price but feel the customer service was good. He sent on a promise of payment.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

iResq said:
Update on my parts order. Keri wrote advising camera mount sent. Almost $50. Not a fan of the price but feel the customer service was good. He sent on a promise of payment.

(The camera mount was only $30, plus $17 for Fedex Ground 3-day shipping service)

Bigvern said:
Hello Keri
I have received my gimbal & I would like to say it is a lovely piece of kit & works fine out of the box.
However do you think there is any risk of any problems happening in flight or other with the first batch sent out?

Cheers Glen

If it works, then it'll continue to work. If there is a short, then it will manifest itself immediately... so you are good to go, Glen! Just dial in the thumbscrews to eliminate vibrations for your particular system, and start filming! (I mention this because I have one system which I've crashed several times, which requires a different amount of tightening/loosening than a fresh Phantom... this is the benefit of the adjustable thumbscrew dampers!)

Keri

Thanks for the info and update Keri. I was able to fly with my RotorPixal gimble for the first time yesterday. I flew four batteries and it worked wonderfully. Videos look great.
Thank you

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

About 25 ready to go out the door. I should recieve my shipping notification today! Thanks to RP for taking the extra care to QC this batch before rushing them out the door.

Geert said:
I was hoping to get mine today but it is still at the custom office.
Have to wait until Monday I guess.
Looking forward to install the gimbal and hope I won't have any problems. :?
Maybe RotorPixel can post or email a procedure to check for the short on gimbals shipped before the new QA was added?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AnndyManuka